Watch recommendations

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Watch recommendations

Post by jimmy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 pm

Gumby wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:39 pm
Looking for a recommendation for a solid surf watch. I see the last comment on this was a few years back. Dare I ask if a product has since popped up that has people genuinely backing its value and reliability?
Looking to replace mine that is pretty old and on its last legs.
Apple Watch all day every day. Or an Android version of you’re that way inclined. When you consider that Rip Curl watches were $500 ten years ago and you can get a smart watch for that now. That enables you to watch your waves on the computer if you want. Also measures heart rate, oxygen stuff and anything else you might want you can get an app.
It’s a no brainer.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:12 pm

jimmy wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 pm
Gumby wrote:
Looking for a recommendation for a solid surf watch. I see the last comment on this was a few years back. Dare I ask if a product has since popped up that has people genuinely backing its value and reliability?
Apple Watch all day every day. Or an Android version of you’re that way inclined. When you consider that Rip Curl watches were $500 ten years ago and you can get a smart watch for that now. That enables you to watch your waves on the computer if you want. Also measures heart rate, oxygen stuff and anything else you might want you can get an app.
It’s a no brainer.
Ol' cheapskate here. 😉

My Casio (see above) is still going.
I replaced the band about 18 months ago. Genuine Casio replacement. $45 fitted..
Still the original battery.
Coming up to 10 years old.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Cool. Thanks Jimmy.
I am an Android guy. I was looking at rip curl initially as I've had a few of their watches in the past and that was the default option. But now there are plenty of options with clever features, looks like there is more choice. Also sounds like some mixed reviews on the rip curl gps too. Don't want to drop a bunch of cash on a dud but happy to invest in something I'll get plenty of use out of.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:36 pm

jimmy wrote:
Gumby wrote:
It’s a no brainer.
Why would anyone want to know all that? Genuinely curious.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:39 pm

For the same reason that you can track the garbage truck on collection day.

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:45 pm

Drailed wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:36 pm
jimmy wrote:
Gumby wrote:
It’s a no brainer.
Why would anyone want to know all that? Genuinely curious.
Knowing when your heart and lungs are about to crap out is probably handy info to have. :)

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 pm

Actually the one thing I am sick of is how long it takes for rip curl to replace their watch batteries. Just had one replaced. Had to get it sent to Torquay as usual. Took over 2 months FFS! The one thing I'd welcome with any of these new watches is the fact you can charge the thing and never have to put up with that sh1t again!

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:00 pm

I picked up a new Rip Curl GPS2 for $249 on special, just after xmas. I'm mainly interested in the tide function, but the moon phases, sunrise are nice to have. I rarely set it to track surf mode when surfing as I couldn't really be bothered with half baked data.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:17 pm

I also like the fact that I can check emails and make calls if I need to. The heart rate shit I don’t give a fuck about. But the ability to get an urgent text means that I’m more comfortable spending longer in the water. Plus I don’t. Need a wallet anymore. I just tap the watch.
Try paying for a case of beer on a rip curl watch.
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 pm

You can find out most of that on your phone. I can see why you would want to check the time when surfing but a cheap waterproof watch does that. I don’t wear watches.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:15 pm

Yep I’ve always been one who likes to know the time in the surf. Got in the habit doing the early before school.
I like the idea that I don’t need to take my phone or wallet but can still pay for stuff and be contacted if necessary. I’ve got my license on it as well as all of my music and my atm card. I believe that there’s an option to have it call an ambo for you if you have heart attack.
Seriously what’s not to love about that? It’s the full Dick Tracy phone but better.
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:32 pm

I get the advantages for sure. Can’t really wear a watch on my left wrist due to an old injury.
These days I would like to get back to the horse and buggy. Simplicity. I often don’t carry my phone
either. Realised on a few occasions I could be completely fcuked up if I needed to contact someone fast.
But that’s how things used to be. Might by one of those Fitbit type exercise things to find out how unco I am.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Goanna
Grommet

Post by Goanna » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:35 pm

jimmy wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:15 pm
Yep I’ve always been one who likes to know the time in the surf. Got in the habit doing the early before school.
I like the idea that I don’t need to take my phone or wallet but can still pay for stuff and be contacted if necessary. I’ve got my license on it as well as all of my music and my atm card. I believe that there’s an option to have it call an ambo for you if you have heart attack.
Seriously what’s not to love about that? It’s the full Dick Tracy phone but better.
Jimmy you're giving me a hard on about the Apple Watch, calm down.

I do have a few questions though. If you wear it specifically while surfing, are any of those functions you just described useful? Does it not have to be in range of the mobile phone SIM it's paired with to receive SMS notifications or make calls? And if you aren't wearing AirPods in the surf then what's the point of having music on there?

I think an Apple Watch would be neat, and I wouldn't be mad to receive one as a gift, but I don't think I'll be buying one for myself anytime soon.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:50 am

jimmy wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:15 pm
Yep I’ve always been one who likes to know the time in the surf.
I've worn watches since my father gave me an Omega Seamaster when I was still in primary school. I wore that watch to death, surfing etc, and didn't realise till many years later that it was quite valuable. I don't know what happened to that one in particular, but I've inherited a few of dads old watches, including a vintage Seamaster and a Flightmaster, which are both quite valuable, especially the Flightmaster. He had some very interesting time pieces, that have gone missing. I suspect this happened when their house was broken in to not long after dad passed away and we had taken mum in to care for her. The watches I still have were in the safe.

Anyway, I digress ... I've always maintained that wearing a watch in the surf was to indicate how late I was going to be for work or whatever other obligations were on the table.

The tide watch idea seemed like a natural progression. I started with the Rip Curl Rifles watch, which was okay, but seemed to chew through the battery, and didn't offer much in the way of functions. The GPS tide watch was purchased due to its superior tide data and functions, and also for the fact that it doesn't require battery replacement.

I was keen on the Garmin for a while, but the bad reviews and added purchase cost swayed me away.

Apple watches are popular with a lot of friends and work colleagues, but I use android phones which cancelled that option out.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:16 am

Gumby wrote:
I've had my Casio tide watch for, I don't know, three years now , hasn't missed a beat. Cheap as, too.
But don't take my word for it, babasharky has one too.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:00 pm

offshore1 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:16 am
Gumby wrote:
I've had my Casio tide watch for, I don't know, three years now , hasn't missed a beat. Cheap as, too.
But don't take my word for it, babasharky has one too.
Baba likes his because it matches his landline and rotary dial telephone.

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:25 pm

Looks like Casio have joined the party with a fancier watch that hooks up to supporting apps too. Prices still look cheaper than the others as well. Don't think they can be charged though which is annoying but is it still way easier to get battery changed in casio these days (ie. Take it to any jeweller vs sending away ala' Rip curl)?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:51 pm

I took a guy out for a 3 hr harbour cruise/photo shoot many years ago. Turned out he was the production designer for Pixar films. He said "hi, I'm Ralph .... from Pixar films and we're making a new film called Finding Nemo. I said, "oh cool, my kids love Toy Story."

We criuised and he captured, but wanted a specific locale for a scene, and I took him to one ... a rickety old wharf nearby the water taxis base i was operating out of in Berry's Bay.

It ended up as the backdrop for a scene in the film. I got a credit, and I got a watch!

As we approached the drop off point, he handed me a neat metal box with the Fossil brand writ large, and watch with Woody imagery on it.

Needless to say, it's not water proof, but cool nonetheless.

I bought a Fossil (classic styled diver's) watch from a mall stall a few years ago, and I love it.