Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, Mr Puffy Pants, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 37040
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:22 am

They'd heard of BG?

Thats mad.

I think they got it arse about though.

The surfers hate it but the industry guys love it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
foamy
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6864
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by foamy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:31 am

alakaboo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:39 am
They were flabbergasted by people renting the place out for $10k per day, but just got back from a trip to St Andrews to watch the golf. I asked them if they played a round and they said they couldn't get a tee time.
Trivial fact: On almost every Sunday, St Andrews golf course is closed to golfers and is a public park. You can wander anywhere. Dogs welcome. You can plonk a blanket down on any fairway and have a picnic. Kick a footy around, no worries. Pretty much full access except stay off greens and bunkers. And you’ve got the attached beach as well.

Apparently, it’s also a nice friendly university town with good olde bars etc.

buddy
Owl status
Posts: 4865
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:34 am

steve shearer wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:22 am
They'd heard of BG?

Thats mad.

I think they got it arse about though.

The surfers hate it but the industry guys love it.
The surfers they meet are the industry guys.
Or very rich corporate surfers.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 37040
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:52 am

foamy wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:31 am
alakaboo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:39 am
They were flabbergasted by people renting the place out for $10k per day, but just got back from a trip to St Andrews to watch the golf. I asked them if they played a round and they said they couldn't get a tee time.
Trivial fact: On almost every Sunday, St Andrews golf course is closed to golfers and is a public park. You can wander anywhere. Dogs welcome. You can plonk a blanket down on any fairway and have a picnic. Kick a footy around, no worries. Pretty much full access except stay off greens and bunkers. And you’ve got the attached beach as well.

Apparently, it’s also a nice friendly university town with good olde bars etc.
Yeah my mates wife went to Uni there.

no interest in golf.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Owl status
Posts: 4865
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:56 am

What about picnics?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 56458
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:29 am

I don’t think Australia has a big enough population to make Surf Ranchs profitable. We will see with Yeppoon. One thing to have one in the city but who’s going to Dog Fart Junction for a wave pool.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 56458
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:33 am

foamy wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:31 am
alakaboo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:39 am
They were flabbergasted by people renting the place out for $10k per day, but just got back from a trip to St Andrews to watch the golf. I asked them if they played a round and they said they couldn't get a tee time.
Trivial fact: On almost every Sunday, St Andrews golf course is closed to golfers and is a public park. You can wander anywhere. Dogs welcome. You can plonk a blanket down on any fairway and have a picnic. Kick a footy around, no worries. Pretty much full access except stay off greens and bunkers. And you’ve got the attached beach as well.

Apparently, it’s also a nice friendly university town with good olde bars etc.
It was quite a shock for me going to a PGA Event. Fcuking money machine. The amount of merchandise for sale. Not to mention stroke analysis machines, driving ranges, home putting greens, etc.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

User avatar
BA
Duke Status
Posts: 10868
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:03 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by BA » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:57 am

Beanpole wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:29 am
I don’t think Australia has a big enough population to make Surf Ranchs profitable.
Are you kidding? The Melbourne pool is constantly booked out. Day and night. Reckon they’d be doing fine.

User avatar
Mr Puffy Pants
Duke Status
Posts: 18895
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Mr Puffy Pants » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:13 pm

The one here will make a killing

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 37040
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:32 pm

I think Yeppoon will to.

If they can manage running costs.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

channels
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8027
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:49 pm

Melbourne makes sense, a lot of surfers that can't get to the ocean Monday to Friday, plus travellers etc.

Perth makes sense, a lot of surfers and fuck all surf for 9 months of the year.

The Sydney one is out at Homebush. I can't see much of the northern beaches, shire, or central coast driving for an hour or more and leaving actual waves to use it.

channels
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8027
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:53 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:32 pm
I think Yeppoon will to.

If they can manage running costs.
What's the target market for Yepoon?

I can't see enough people making the trek there to make it viable.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 37040
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by steve shearer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Rockhampton is a major regional centre with a surf crew, and many more will take it up.

Tourists.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

channels
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8027
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by channels » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Ok, that's a surprise to me.

Wouldn't have thought it had the population or tourist base to support similar numbers to Melbs (32 pax/hour '6am to midnight, 7 days/week)

buddy
Owl status
Posts: 4865
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by buddy » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:56 pm

channels wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:49 pm
Melbourne makes sense, a lot of surfers that can't get to the ocean Monday to Friday, plus travellers etc.

Perth makes sense, a lot of surfers and fuck all surf for 9 months of the year.

The Sydney one is out at Homebush. I can't see much of the northern beaches, shire, or central coast driving for an hour or more and leaving actual waves to use it.
You'd be surprised how many people from torquay go to the pool on the semi reg.

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 28342
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:15 pm

There are 2 surf shops in Yeppoon.
Beanpole wrote
You aren’t the room Yuke. You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper wrote
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. Aweful. But who and why and how I'm, personally, not convinced it was what we've been told.

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 28342
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:18 pm

Beanpole wrote
You aren’t the room Yuke. You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper wrote
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. Aweful. But who and why and how I'm, personally, not convinced it was what we've been told.

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 28342
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:18 pm

Longboard heaven.
Beanpole wrote
You aren’t the room Yuke. You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper wrote
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. Aweful. But who and why and how I'm, personally, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 31 guests