Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:56 pm

Dare I say more relevant than yours Yuke. In so far as he is an actual ex competitor with broad recognition.....and he would belt you if you disagree with him.
Most surf journalism has always been borderline and most competitive surfers left school at 16.
The widespread acceptance of anti vacs mumbo jumbo and other dodgy new ageism is a good example of a lack of critical thinking. In that environment it’s easy for anyone to come across as an intellectual is they can string a couple of sentences together.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:35 am

Pants wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:08 pm
Name the most interesting person in surfing for the last 25 years and why. I actually cannot think of one.

I think people in modern surfing are so boring and have not much to say. I think that’s why surfing may suffer commercially.

I think Mick Fanning might be an intelligent guy but, poorly educated. Adding, he had something to say until Stab baited him into over reacting and him using the “Jew” slur. After his remorseful apology he’s been very corporatised.

While I’m on the topic. It would be nice if there was a little gonzo in surf journalism. That Chas guy has kind of gotten old and responsible and rides mid lengths and San Diego types seem to rule. Journalism isn’t about reciting history, that’s what historians do. I want to be intrigued but, mainly I want to be entertained.

In fact while I type the most interesting and irreverent person in surfing is a longboarder, Joel Tudor (ironically from San Diego). Yeh, he’s sort of rock n roll where as the others are more K Pop.

Can someone penetrate the miasma of mediocrity?
Tony Ray. Because he just does it. Sure, he left the tour to a spono life, but he's a thinker who was able to articulate what surfing is to him. And he's the most humble person in the water. There's quite a few like him in swvic, but along with RCJ, he's the only pro
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:11 am

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:56 pm
Dare I say more relevant than yours Yuke. In so far as he is an actual ex competitor with broad recognition.....and he would belt you if you disagree with him.
I never claimed to be relevant, and being an ex-competitor does not equate to being a great judge, coach, thinker or otherwise ... and what's with the whole he'd belt you thing, thats just a stupid statement. The fact that the guy is a thug, kind of proves the point in that he lacks the self control and discipline to think through an emotive issue.

Whether Italo should have won or not is a mute point now. The biggest take away from the whole fiasco is that the Brazilian surfers and surf fans complaining constantly when the cards don't drop in their favour. Take Toledo complaining about Jacko Bakers 9, or Italo storming the judging tower when he loses ... its an ongoing issue, worsened by the surfers posting their displeasure on social media. Made especially worse when they infer that there is a deliberate bias against the Brazilian surfers, ie: racism. Retired sportsmen can chime in as they like, but their opinion doesn't matter, its irrelevant, just as yours or mine is. And lets be truthful here, If Johnny Boy way going to punch anyone in the head, it would most definitely be you :-D-:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:29 am

If it was a ‘mute’ point surely we wouldn’t have had to endure the subsequent paragraph
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:38 am

godsavetheking wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:29 am
If it was a ‘mute’ point surely we wouldn’t have had to endure the subsequent paragraph
Thats an even dumber statement than Beany's ... you sad fuck.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:44 am

It’s ‘moot’ you thick fuck
Beanpole wrote:
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:55 am

Here he is, our rhyming bellend

Beanpole wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:59 am

godsavetheking wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:44 am
It’s ‘moot’ you thick fuck
Told you he can't spell.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:02 am

He’s a total maroon
Beanpole wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:37 am

godsavetheking wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:02 am
He’s a total maroon
:mrgreen:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:02 am

Godsave clearly didn’t get to watch any sheep today.

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:10 am

Mute point. Lol.

Moot means up for debate. That is, not something that’s now not up for debate, as you’ve used “mute”.

Couldn’t get much wronger.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Just got another bindie out of my heel when I had a shower.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:20 am

Pants wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:10 am
Mute point. Lol.

Moot means up for debate. That is, not something that’s now not up for debate, as you’ve used “mute”.

Couldn’t get much wronger.
With regards to ‘moot point’, it’s from definition 2.
I don’t use it the way they do, maybe we’re all wrong.
Last edited by buddy on Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:21 am

Exactly. Moot is one of those words that has two contradictory usages.
Outstanding is another.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:24 am

And it rhymes with boot.
Rhyming it with foot is what Baz calls Shazzas lady bits.

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:44 am

Yep, up for debate or not. Let’s mute this conversation
Beanpole wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 am

Before we bolt. We are bound to buckle unless we buckle down before we bolt and bound away.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Pants
Local

Post by Pants » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:14 am

Very good
Beanpole wrote: