The Outsider

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: The Outsider

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:43 pm

I got physically manhandled by Peter King on the beach trying to talk to JJF and ended up having an extended face off with him on the beach.

that was the most exciting part of the comp for me.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:31 pm
lol ... it's sounding like a weekend boardrider's comp.
:lol:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:51 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:44 pm
I was just pondering foamy’s question to Nick and it got me thinking about the apparent discrepancy between the ‘live’ and ‘broadcast’ audiences. Most sports, if you’re packing out a stadium it would seem that you can assume x times that number will watch on telly or whatever but surfing seems to be the complete opposite (based on the paltry viewing figures that Stu from swellnet reported before they switched platforms) and I suppose I was wondering why that may be
The problems as I see it with viewer numbers:

Too much dead time between waves, boring for the viewer.

Too many dud heats and low scores, watch a heat analyser and see how many waves above a 7 in any contest.

Barely any progression, still no switch stance surfing or moves, majority of waves are safely surfed.

Comps are too long, less surfers and longer windows needed to pick the eyes out of a swell.

Until they resolve any or all of these, it will never appeal to the type of numbers needed to make big TV dollarydoos.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:53 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:25 pm
Over55yrs wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:23 pm
Well if Victoria (thought Urbnsurf might get one but the lockout won't allow it) and Queensland are no go's, then NSW has them all - Newcastle plus 3 and all in very short notice.

Presumably Destination NSW is there with taxpayer money.
Not the lockout WSL owns Kelly Slater wave pool, they won't use competing technology.

WA is still in.

Rottnest is a possibility.
How do the deal with the likelihood WA will close its border athe drop of a hat?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 pm

no idea.
quarantine?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:59 pm

Friend of mine went to Hawaii about 15 years ago to watch the contest at Pipe. It was one of the rare years when it was shit, but she had an epic time anyway.
I taught her to surf as an adult, another year she went away and surfed Chicama. Frother.
Erase.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:06 pm

How were her Tits?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:10 am

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:49 am
alakaboo wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:21 am
steve shearer wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:36 pm
Historically though, UK and Europe lost access to the commons generations ago.

I'm not surprised you can't understand Australians fighting to prevent corporate takeovers of public spaces.
The right to roam still exists in many European countries, to a far greater extent than in Australia.
The UK is considering expanding access at the moment.
I was primarily referring to the Inclosure Acts whereby common use rights to common lands were ceased when the land was privatised.

That never really happened here in Aus.

I can walk outside my house and be on crown land where I can collect food etc etc.

Right of access to forage, Hunt, fish are very much more restricted in the UK, Right to Roam laws notwithstanding.
Again, I agree.
I wasn't clear in my first response.
I was making a distinction between the UK (Scotland excepted) and Europe proper.

Depending on the land tenure and the species you harvest, your collection of food is probably illegal.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:46 am

There’s 1.5 million hectares of open access land in England and Wales that you can roam to your heart’s content. Foraging as long as you’re not doing it for commercial gain is completely legal and you can fish and gather shellfish on all of our beaches (a few are private but nobody stops you), subject to local several and regulating laws and bag limits of course. Which does rather beg the question, What the hell are you talking about steve?
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:02 am

And the winner is...................Syyyyyddnneyyyyy

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 572pn.html

Some great quotes in the article

Mr Stark said “This is not a financial decision, this is a decision around how we run events,” he said. “It’s too risky to just gamble whether the border is open or not ... we had to de-risk our sport.”

“With a long-running sporting rivalry between NSW and Queensland, once again, NSW has come out on top,” Mr Barilaro said. “In 2021 NSW will be known as the surfing state and sporting capital of Australia.”

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:23 am

Fcuk off Barra.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?