Swellnet

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Swellnet

Post by bumfluff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 am

Why is swellnet always so late with their reports these days? I got up at 7am this morning, checked the surf reports and no one had reported anything, so I went back to bed. Turns out on the 8.41am surf report on Swellnet it's clean 2-3 ft... :roll:

They used to do their reports really early so you could take advantage of the waves before the wind changed. Now they're putting reports out at 8.41am???

What gives?

PS - Im p*ssed about it cause Swellnet give the best and most accurate reports, far better than the others out there IMO.

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Swellnet

Post by Grooter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:18 am

You can't look at the wave buoys, work out the size and direction of the swell, then the wind stations to see which way it is blowing and then the tide times to know which spot is going to be working best given the conditions?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 am

Hatchy, I usually get up at about 5am every morning to check the surf report on my I-Phone - in bed. If it's not clean anywhere along the SE QLD stretch, I roll over and go back to sleep. If I got up and turned my computer on and checked all those things, I would'nt go back to sleep.

But regardless of what my little ritual is, surf reports are designed for those who don't have time or simply don't want to go and check all of those things. They're meant to be a condensed and rough run down of what's going on for those who are'nt on the beach.

I realize these reports are a luxury, but it's highly frustrating when they report them early then late then late then early. Us men like to have routine, you know? :D

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:32 am

:roll: :roll: :wink:
lazy fcuker fluffy. Get up and goanyway if you're really keen. Otherwise stop whini g, people in Ethiopia don't even have a wax comb.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:39 am

skipper wrote::roll: :roll: :wink:
lazy fcuker fluffy. Get up and goanyway if you're really keen. Otherwise stop whini g, people in Ethiopia don't even have a wax comb.
F*ck that Skipp. I'm done with going out on Easterly crap. Sometimes I don't have a choice but most times I can get 3 clean days out of a week by being selective as to when and where I go. That could be anywhere from Noosa to D'bah.

Etheopians have nothing at all to do with whether or not the surf report is early or late, sometimes not at all. :roll: Like I said, Swellnet are the best surf reports on the net IMO, it's not all bad and this little vent has been about a year in the making, I've let it go for ages without saying anything. :o

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:58 pm

swellnet is OK... but the variance between beaches can mean that where they check is nothing like what other beaches are showing. By the time they put the reports up, the light offshores are gone, the dawn patrol is the only way to go, plus it means I surf a lot more than i would if I just went off the surf reports every day. :)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Fluffy, check the wind directions before you go to bed, and the wave buoy data.
That'll give you a pretty good shot at it.
Works for me, esp. this morning. :lol: :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:52 pm

TrevG wrote:Fluffy, check the wind directions before you go to bed, and the wave buoy data.
That'll give you a pretty good shot at it.
Works for me, esp. this morning. :lol: :lol:
This.

It's not rocket science. We're not splitting atoms here fluff-face.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:29 pm

But the winds change at the drop of a hat braith. Is it really that predictable the night before?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:57 pm

bumfluff wrote:But the winds change at the drop of a hat braith. Is it really that predictable the night before?
Yep, the Maroochydore, Spitfire Channel and Cape Moreton locations give you the current direction and at the click of a button, the last few hours of trends.
Once you work out what the effect might be at your local ( :wink: ), you have a pretty good idea. Then, if in doubt at least you can make an informed decision whether or not to get up and check the computer.
I occasionaly do that at about 3.30am this time of year and go back to bed if it looks shitty. Back to sleep in no time.
Or, the winds are perfect and it's a race to get into the car and ready for the rock-off about 4.15. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:29 pm

bumfluff, you concern me sometimes, you really do.
you give the impression sometimes that you couldn't find your arse in the dark with both hands.

there are many sources of wind info, i'm pretty sure you've been given them before, if not then in this thread.

i really hope you're day trading with your own money...

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:50 pm

alakaboo wrote:bumfluff, you concern me sometimes, you really do.
you give the impression sometimes that you couldn't find your arse in the dark with both hands.

there are many sources of wind info, i'm pretty sure you've been given them before, if not then in this thread.

i really hope you're day trading with your own money...

Exactly Boo.. FFS if the cnut cant read the weather how's he gonna make me money on the market?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:51 pm

I say they shouldnt do the reports till 3-5pm, sorta like a post day report. Something like "You all missed it, was pumping but now its onshore. Good back too bed" -Stu

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:12 pm

:lol: :lol: F*ck you guys are a laugh.

Stock market, Ethiopians...whats next? Doomsday?

Why would I spend my nights reading wind forecasts, when I can (or used to be able to) check an up to hour surf report? Now that I can't rely on that, I will be forced to check the wind patterns the night before and hope that it doesnt all go to crap overnight as it often does. In my experience the wind can change direction in literally 5 minutes when out on the water. I have checked the wind direction forecasts in the past and we've had Westerlys literally come out of nowhere that I would've missed since the forecast said it was meant to be blowing the opposite direction. :shock:

If these wind forecasts are as accurate as you guys say they are then problem solved.

PS - Jimmy, FFS man just get a root and give us all a break. :o

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:05 am

Just for the record Bumfluff, and with the understanding that it is very uncool to admit checking a surf report, the current local winds are on each surf report page of Swellnet. Just scroll down a bit and see 'Weather Conditions' which has a weather reading taken directly from the nearest weather station and updated every 5 mins. It also has a wind record for the last 24 hours (so you know if it was blowing hard through the night), plus other useful info.

Rather than rooting around on various pages for info it's all there on one page.

bintang

Post by bintang » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:47 am

http://www.swellnet.com.au/news/1025-th ... n-analysis

Urge to kill fading, fading, rising, fading......

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:50 am

"Just put the knife down Bintang. Relax as I steer the conversation toward neutral territory. So...how about the Aussie cricket team, eh?"

Yep, sometimes we fcuk up and we've gotta cop it on the chin. Figure the best thing we can do is front the judiciary and plead our case.

And file the event away for future reference of course...

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:40 am

2nd Reef wrote: it is very uncool to admit checking a surf report,

oh stu :lol:

first thing i do WHEN I GET OUT THE SURF :shock:

is check the reports :| and than laugh my sizeable ass off at how inaccrate
( do the reporters actually surf it b4 they send a report in :idea: :?: )

worlds a different place...surfing is now a sport

it's kinda sad..and it will only get worst :cry:

but so long people can cash in on mother nature...good luck too the swellnet team

beats getting a real job :roll: :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?