Instant porridge

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Skipper
Duke Status

Instant porridge

Post by Skipper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Though I like to start the day with freshly brewed coffee I really like to have porridge in the morning especially in winter. It's wholesome nourishing and slow release fuel for the tasks ahead. Most mornings as I get up in the dark and before my ride to work I like to start with a  coffee. As much about the process as the need for a hit to sharpen the mind and prime the body. Same thing with porridge. Even though sometimes I can't be assed , if I'm running late for work or if itching to get down for a dawny, I'll still go the full 10-15 minute ritual anyway.   
So porridge; now that's something like coffee that a lot of people fail to treat with the care and consideration it deserves. 
It got me thinking the other morn as I was gently coaxing the wholegrain oats to absorb and swell in their pot of slowly heating water. I don't like it too creamy, and so i add the cold milk later, tho I can appreciate those that use all milk.
I always start in cold water after rinsing them thru a couple of times to wash the starch off.  
The radio is good company at  this time of the morning mostly news and chat but the other morning I switched to a local community station and delighted in hearing a Reprazent (Roni Size) track from his seminal drum n bass album 'New Forms' called 'Brown Paper Bag'.  Needless to say this reminded me of dear ol Shearer and his brown paper bag incident prompting the small avalanche of support he rightly deserves and now sees him fullfilling a life long dream. 
And so the  track swung along at it's slamming pace while i did my little chicken shuffle across the kitchen floor in my socks and suddenly! ...I felt this wave of panic sweep over me as I realized I'd left a not insubstantial sum of cash I'd been topping up over the past year in an old suit jacket that had been recently tossed into a pile of unwanted clothes and given to charity. Faaark. That money was going towards a trip to Bali later in the year to join a bunch of old Jungle heads I knew from Hobart when I lived down there in the early 90's and developed quite a passion for this renegade form of music that came out of happy hardcore and breakbeat and was constructed round The Winston's 'Amen Breaks' and a pitched up sample of James Brown's 'Give it up or turn it lose' and often sampled classic dub and reggae riddims too. 
Maan, they were great times. Small club nights hosting the likes of Dr Gachet, Slipmatt, Kemistry and Storm
 (RIP Kemmy),   djRap with MC Fearless, Bukem and Conrad 
and the great Grooverider. Not to mention a swag of great underground parties I helped put on under the moniker JungleBox. Ah the crazy rollin' hardstepping mixes of Kenny Ken and his Junglistic Fever part 1 will forever be held dear to my heart.  
Anyways,  message came through zome time ago ...."hey Johnson!  - (that was my nickname, as I had a penchant for dusting the dancefloor with talc powder)-  big up cuz, come and join us for a JungleBox reunion party in Bali ....."
Hmph, so a bunch of the ol massive are planning a bit of a kneesup in Bali of all places, despite the fact none of them surf, but heck I love both and gee, damn  I don't think I'll be able to go now. 

I got back to stirring the porridge,  'Brown Paper Bag' segued into something by Arthur Lyman and I reflected on the virtues of raw slow cooked method over the more expedient and less appealing instant oats. 

Just wondering what the feeling is out there about porridge - instant or slow cooked. ?  

boogaloo
Local

Re: Instant porridge

Post by boogaloo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:59 pm

I rather enjoy a bit of the old porridge stirring in the morning. :wink: 8)
Slow-cooked is definitely the best.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:37 pm

you can always soak oats overnight if you want to save time in the morning.

once brekky is done it's down to chopping up the amen break on one of my samplers - i won another sampler on the weekend - an akai s3000xl.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:08 pm

I heard you gotta soak your oats in your bowl with milk and whack it in the fridge the night before.

Microwave 90 seconds - stir - Microwave another 30 seconds. Add honey, and you're on.

Conversely if you have the time, a slow cook on a low heat on the stove will do the trick and delight the traditionalists here as well.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 pm

purple pyramids wrote:you can always soak oats overnight if you want to save time in the morning.

once brekky is done it's down to chopping up the amen break on one of my samplers - i won another sampler on the weekend - an akai s3000xl.
true dat.
I was mindful of keeping it short n sweet. The thread that is and hastened to add the other crucial ingredients that go into making a super bowl of porridge. And they are currents or sultanas, the former preferably for the high levels of vitamin C , a little brown sugar on top and most crucially a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon. One of the super foods along with blueberries, garlic etc.
But an Akai s3000xl!! You don't want an extra one of those cluttering up the streamlne modernity of ya beachpad PP. I'll happily take it off yer hands!

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

:?
Last edited by Skipper on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm sorry but oats and microwaves are completely anathema.
As with just about anything and microwaves. Maybe a simple hand gesture from across the dance floor I can tolerate.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:21 pm

skipper wrote:I'm sorry but oats and microwaves are completely anathema.
As with just about anything and microwaves. Maybe a simple hand gesture from across the dance floor I can tolerate.
That's only because most people don't know how or can't be bothered to turn the power down and cook slowly.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Banana and strawberries are the two fruits I add to my porridge with honey.

One time I had no honey and I added some flavoured yoghurt. It was pretty good to. The cold and hot combine for a wonderful symphony of tastefullness.
Kunji wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Braithy wrote:Banana and strawberries are the two fruits I add to my porridge with honey.

One time I had no honey and I added some flavoured yoghurt. It was pretty good to. The cold and hot combine for a wonderful symphony of tastefullness.
What about a bit of freshly slaughtered shark!!!!
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:21 pm

dinosaur wrote:for simply sampling and chopping up, why the fuck are you using a sampler ?
the sampler sounds better - my samplers have better a/d convertors than my mackie soundcard.

it's easy to chop in the sampler -- easier than transferring files to and from the computer. an exception is the mirage -- no waveform display and hex decimal editing.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:35 pm

dinosaur wrote:for simply sampling and chopping up, why the fuck are you using a sampler ?
Never have. Im pretty good with record and pause button on cassette player and handy with splicing quarter inch tape too.
It's just something I've always secretly coveted but never been teched up enough to acquire and use.
Hate to see it tossed out on the sidewalk that's all.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
What about a bit of freshly slaughtered shark!!!!
:lol:

You're killin' me.
Kunji wrote: