Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, Mr Puffy Pants, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 55419
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:13 pm

Trev wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:00 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:56 pm
Grooter wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:42 pm
On the other hand, driving big distances in the USA is pretty easy if you're the driver.

Plenty of rest stops, traffic moves pretty quick, no cops hiding in bushes every 10 metres or constant wildlife trying to obliterate your car running over the road.

We went on a roadtrip to Oregon a few weeks ago and took in the sights. Was really good, I was averaging between 120-140km/h on the highways
Yep, only thing that got me really with driving was the abrupt on ramps and off ramps.

Re: homeless. India is the only place comparable IMHO.Disgraceful in one of the richest countries in the world.
I'm not suggesting this applies to all the homeless in North America but it would seem there's a significant proportion of them who choose that lifestyle because they want to.
Talked to a couple of small groups in SF and they gave me the impression they were there by choice (while asking for money).
A lot of seniors are living in their cars too. I’m always a bit sceptical when Yanks say that. You know what their other choices are?
Put your big boy pants on

User avatar
jimmy
Owl status
Posts: 4878
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by jimmy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 am
jimmy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:13 am
alakaboo wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:55 pm
Getting there. Moving into our house over the next week or so.
Which school are the girls going to?
Typical Sydney Question. You can take the boy out of Sydney……
It might seem that way, Beans. But I was asking because I find Boo’s answers regarding his decisions on schooling his children interesting. Especially in light of the situation in the US at the moment. You might also note that no one was actually asking you anything. You just decided to jump in on a post that wasn’t in anyway relevant to you, Beans.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

User avatar
Thud
Duke Status
Posts: 10975
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:56 pm
Grooter wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:42 pm
On the other hand, driving big distances in the USA is pretty easy if you're the driver.

Plenty of rest stops, traffic moves pretty quick, no cops hiding in bushes every 10 metres or constant wildlife trying to obliterate your car running over the road.

We went on a roadtrip to Oregon a few weeks ago and took in the sights. Was really good, I was averaging between 120-140km/h on the highways
Yep, only thing that got me really with driving was the abrupt on ramps and off ramps.

Re: homeless. India is the only place comparable IMHO.Disgraceful in one of the richest countries in the world.
You can’t compare India to the US.
I don't go out of my way to be outrageous, I just go out of my way to look at things.

Dave Allan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 55419
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:36 pm

jimmy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:09 am
jimmy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:13 am
alakaboo wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:55 pm
Getting there. Moving into our house over the next week or so.
Which school are the girls going to?
Typical Sydney Question. You can take the boy out of Sydney……
It might seem that way, Beans. But I was asking because I find Boo’s answers regarding his decisions on schooling his children interesting. Especially in light of the situation in the US at the moment. You might also note that no one was actually asking you anything. You just decided to jump in on a post that wasn’t in anyway relevant to you, Beans.
Yeah, right not like I have put my kids through school. My old man was a teacher as well. Coming from the country I’ve found as many others have that people in Sydney wank on about what school you went to and where your kids go to school in a way that puzzles most people. So I find that interesting. Not the same issue in the States. Unless you decide to live In Arkansas or the Ozark. California is progressive.
Put your big boy pants on

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20854
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:08 am
What's the main differences Boo?
Bear in mind I moved from a cow paddock in central Maryland to the research center of the world...

Lot more Chinese people and Hispanics, not as many Indian or black people.

Better food in general. See above.

People in the north east are more friendly. When I first moved there I kept thinking that I'd forgotten people but it was just strangers waving from across the street and coming to chat. Californians barely say hello.

Vastly different climate. The fog is weird but the thermal inertia of the water is nice.

The landscape is more like West Australia, dry healthy stuff but with conifers. The trails are better underfoot or under tread, dusty or spongy in the conifers. Maryland trails were muddy and rocky.
It's also good to be able to go to the forest without having to check if it's hunting season. I got fucking sick of the fact the best biking and backcountry snowboarding was in redneck areas where people might just start shooting near the trail.

Politically, everyone is democratic, even those with family money. In Maryland we lived in a pale blue island in a deep red county. I got sick of the Trump/Confederate/back the blue/don't tread on me/election was stolen flags everywhere.

There's more but that's a start.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 36018
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by steve shearer » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:29 pm

Thats interesting.

Feel free to riff, I'll live my American adventures vicariously through you.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 55419
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:19 pm

Banks haven’t been done too many favours by the recent swells, rain, etc. Last weekend there was a sweet little bank in front of the Pav with a cast of thousands. Hard to see anything today.
Put your big boy pants on

channels
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7820
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by channels » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:28 pm

Lot of duckdives but some cracking waves today. Hollow 4-6 foot on low tide.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 17172
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:02 pm

Yeah some epic waves about. Almost as good as The Mumbles
Beanpole wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:37 pm
100% she was going to stand on my board to impress her friends.
Surfing at Langland Bay, Gower Peninsula, Wales
https://youtu.be/y5ePxFSHjv0
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 55419
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:39 pm

Went for the late. Got a couple.
Put your big boy pants on

buddy
Owl status
Posts: 4753
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by buddy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:50 pm

Spent my lunch break watching the end of greeny through Cooly.
What a wave.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 36018
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:54 pm

At certain times over the weekend it looked almost surreal
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Over55yrs
barnacle
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Over55yrs » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm

buddy wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:50 pm
Spent my lunch break watching the end of greeny through Cooly.
What a wave.
Watched a bit on the cams - 25 guys at a time going out behind the rocks, the quality of surfing was just so high (and I am watching a long distance cam), surfers doing the lap. It certainly is a wave when its on. But geez the crowds.

buddy
Owl status
Posts: 4753
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by buddy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:42 pm

Over55yrs wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 pm
buddy wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:50 pm
Spent my lunch break watching the end of greeny through Cooly.
What a wave.
Watched a bit on the cams - 25 guys at a time going out behind the rocks, the quality of surfing was just so high (and I am watching a long distance cam), surfers doing the lap. It certainly is a wave when its on. But geez the crowds.
There was only 5 guys on the cooly section.
Less frequent sets but absolute quality when they came.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 55419
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:45 pm

Woohoo, had another fun surf this arvo. I had planned to go out. Then thought nah, I will just go down for a hang at the beach. Looked good so got my board.
Put your big boy pants on

User avatar
Wyre
Owl status
Posts: 3995
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Wyre » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:23 am

Pumping. It was slow at dawn, but by 8am the pulses kept coming. A small troupe of travelling surfers who didn't know where to sit left myself and one or two others just feasting. Some solid sets, great barrels.

A couple of injuries, one surfer had a dislocated shoulder, another got done on the rock-off big time.

What a morning!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Beanpole
That's Not Believable
Posts: 55419
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:35 pm

Tama was breaking way out yesterday at low tide with about 4 takers.
Put your big boy pants on

User avatar
Thud
Duke Status
Posts: 10975
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:01 pm

Solid here today. Couple of large bowley sets in the 6-8tt range keeping old fellas on their toes.
I don't go out of my way to be outrageous, I just go out of my way to look at things.

Dave Allan

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests