Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

smallhouse
Grommet

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by smallhouse » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Hit small tea tree , against all my better inclinations.
Somehow found the zone and snagged some sweet head high runners from the semi chaotic crowd.
Only got dropped in on 3 times.
A highlight was boating hazard gopro malibu boy being coached by friend/girlfriend ? " go you wussy , PADDLE " to no avail.

smallhouse
Grommet

Post by smallhouse » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Looked for fong, but i don't know who i'm looking for , so that was fruitless.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:18 pm

he;s too busy fornicating with goats.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:27 pm

steve shearer wrote:he;s too busy fornicating with Tahitian goats.
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:26 am

saltman wrote:How nice was it this morning, some solid 4ft sets light offshore.
there was a bank throwing up a great hollow sand slab before the tide ran out too far.
A classic north coast morning on the open beaches
Yeah. Awesome conditions.
Not as big up here but good fun and for some odd reason, despite the best conditions for a couple of weeks, only a few of the local crew out.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 am

Apparently feck all people at most spots including Steve's local. Could that have something to do with the forecast not announcing it to the world!!! ;)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:09 pm

I think the crowd was spread by the equality of excellence on offer.

I eventually found some super hollow awesomeness after driving and checking five million spots.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Zhujiajian has had waves all week. Lots of paddling. Light onshores (still in mornings then 8-10 knots). A bit too big and closing out Tuesday and Wednesday was just too big with long period. Monday was fun. Today was super fun. 4 hour morning session. Long rights. More to come on the higher tide this afternoon. Swell kicks again tomorrow and winds get a little better. Will max out again - too big to surf - on Saturday :( Offshore on Sat but swell is predicted to be 3 metres +. No other options about. Hopefully, the buoys are over-calling it. Place doesn't handle over 6ft.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Clif wrote:Zhujiajian has had waves all week..
Is that as in just south of Shanghai? Or is it some local break I've just never heard of

If the former, whats 'the vibe'? As in, number, type, quality of surfing, water quality (brown like the rest of the China sea?) and that stuff. Is surfing starting to gain traction in China - my experience was that most people didnt actually know how to swim.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 am

Surfed Lowers this morning, pretty fun, 4' sets, 50 guys out, a lot of 'em friends who I hadn't seen for a couple of years so it had some added zing

clif how's the water temp there at present

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 am

Surfed pumping Bells on Tuesday. Fun fun fun.

picked up a Maurice Cole deep concave while down there (second hand) to give a go..

rode the MC for the first time in Sydney yesterday and it went like absolute crap. Reason - the surface conditions were way too bumpy for that type of board. I will erase that session from my mind and not form any opinions on the board so far based on that quick session in crap.

Nick, MC said for you to give me a go of a couple of the deep concaves he shaped for you as they are 'his boards'. Don't worry I'm not going to hold you to it.

Finn

Post by Finn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 am

Did a interesting trip on Monday this week. Small 4.5m boat, from Rose Bay upto Seal Rocks..
230 ks by sea, took just on 8.5 hours hugging the coast. Been waiting for the right conditions, small South swell, with light offshore winds....it was magic.

Some amazing beach breaks along the way with not a single person out within miles.....and not a single surfboard in the boat :cry: lot of marine life on the move up north :-o

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Holy crap that is an EPIC boat trip in a 4.5
How many times did you stop for fuel, or did you have jerry cans?
I sold it recently but my last boat was a 4.55 centre console, the furthest I ever took it was out to the Swansea FAD 17kms each way.
Regular trips there and Broughton Island about 14kms each way. As long as you keep your eye on the weather it's no problem.
You'd be aching after bashing up the coast for 8.5 hours though. :-D-:
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Finn wrote:Some amazing beach breaks along the way with not a single person out within miles.....and not a single surfboard in the boat :cry: lot of marine life on the move up north :-o
That does sound interesting - was it for any particular purpose or just because?

I've done a boat trip from Batemans Bay up to Jervis Bay, which is stretch of coastline that is pretty developed and quite a few towns and probably less than 50% of the beaches are actually used by anyone, or perhaps not even that many. Sure access is an issue to some (lots of national park) but to think how many beaches in Australia no one ever uses (or very rarely) is quite amazing.

Finn

Post by Finn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:47 pm

4.5m Ali CC with a 50hp . 60 litre underfloor and we had 4 jerry cans. used 90 litres all up. Refueled inside Swansea Heads, then topped up again near Nelson Bay.
The roughest part was the start actually...Rose Bay to Terrigal, nothing but rocky headlands and small sand stretches, so lots of wave bounce. Once north of Terrigal, all those long sand stretches made for a quite soft ride.
Saw a few Pro fishos out in close on a Monday, so made sure we grabbed their spots in the GPS for next time as well...
Def be great to do with a board...

Just because...

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:19 pm

@Nick water is super warm! Not refreshing at all. My guess: 27 degrees. Feels even warmer haha

@ctd This place is no secret, documented on surf websites. South of Shanghai. You have to really know the formula though as is hard to get good. Only surfers are the occasional expat who makes an effort from Shanghai or Ningbo. If someone surfs there they will likely surf alone. Water this week was super clear - nearly blue. Normally, it is brown from all the mud and silt nearby. Pollution = I don't know. Pretty clean around the area. Yes, most people cannot swim. Including the "lifeguards". They just blow whistles and wave. Just today I pulled people out of a heavy rip that opened up. I just got to two, who were gone for all money. Heavy.

There are emerging surf communities in China but they are tiny in numbers, really. Hainan is known and is where global surf industry has focused on getting in. Quite a few expats surf there, so that would influence this. Allan is a local guy (short board-nearly every local longboards) progressing quickly! Charged Padang Padang when we were in Bali.

Hong Kong has a small community. There is a small one in Shenzhen province. And a thriving hard core small all local crew in Fuzhou, Fujian province. This crew are super awesome and keen. I like them a lot. Real pioneers. Old school. Now going on overseas trips to get experience. Then there are very small enclaves in Qingdao and Dalian - but only a few swells a year up there in Yellow Sea. So, a few "surf clubs" now exist.

So, traction is there but only tiny numbers really. 10 here. 20 there. 99.999999% like to look for curiosity but neither have leisure time, finances, access, interest, or swimming ability to take part (also, culturally for many women & girls a suntan is a no no beauty-wise). Finally, long swaths of coastline no good for surfing :(

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Seems inevitable that given the population and the fact that there are some semi okay waves plus the fact that they make truck loads of the fcuking things that surfing will develop in China. The main obstacle to me is that it would get in the way of making a buck. If someone can convince the growing middle class it's okay then look out.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:27 pm

Coal coast. Pleasant day until the N.Easter kicked into it. A few mellow lefts and a crowded popular point break.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?