john howard is a bare faced liar

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

is it ok for the PM tell porkies?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:20 pm

yes
13%
no
88%

Total votes: 8

bood
Grommet

john howard is a bare faced liar

Post by bood » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:20 pm

I am listening to "The Howard Years" right now talking about going into Iraq. Howard is such an outrageous bare faced liar.

It would have been justice if his nose grew an inch for every lie he told.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:39 pm

He's run off with Chamberess somewhere.

Who cares the 0.75% interest rate cut is coming through so I'm off to buy a small island to celebrate.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm

yep, children overboard, Iraq.

Every slippery little piece of it, just lie upon lie heaped upon a lie.

Hope it makes you feel better that they all sleep well at night. They have learned to tell the ultimate lie,

to themselves.

And believe it.
"
Such a contrast to "The Labor Years", which to my mind showed the intrigue and the personality of politicians and how difficult decisions were made by force of argument.

But with Howard it was just lies.

That is his legacy to us. Thanks Johnny.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:50 am

little johnny was around for so long simply because the opposition could not come up with a viable alternative, Kim Beazley, sheesh.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:25 am

Politicians have to be able to lie mate, that's what keeps them in the job.

Howard will never change until the day he dies.

I never voted for him - I didn't want to face the shame from my children and grand children when the toll of Iraq is finally realised and analyzed in the decades to come.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 am

I thought it was very revealing.

Watching lil Johnny in Washington...lil Johnny whose grandfather fought in WW1, whose memory he idolised, but when the time came (Vietnam) lil Johnny didn't go along...scorned for so many years by brilliant opponents and even by his own party... then here he was at this big arse moment in history, and Congress applauding him... HIM!...standing there, blinking in the face of an adoring American Empire... I suddenly got just why he WOULD go all the way with GWB, no matter what.

Which doesn't make him any less of a liar...just a more understandable one.

As for his pathetic offsiders, Peter Reith and Alexander Downer, god the knuckles of the right hand were just itchy with desire to drive their noses into their withered cerebellums.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:53 am

Nick Carroll wrote:I thought it was very revealing.

Watching lil Johnny in Washington...lil Johnny whose grandfather fought in WW1, whose memory he idolised, but when the time came (Vietnam) lil Johnny didn't go along...scorned for so many years by brilliant opponents and even by his own party... then here he was at this big arse moment in history, and Congress applauding him... HIM!...standing there, blinking in the face of an adoring American Empire... I suddenly got just why he WOULD go all the way with GWB, no matter what.

Which doesn't make him any less of a liar...just a more understandable one.

As for his pathetic offsiders, Peter Reith and Alexander Downer, god the knuckles of the right hand were just itchy with desire to drive their noses into their withered cerebellums.
Having met Alex and some of his cronies my contempt for them (and what he has done) is boundless. But Brandis, Kemp and Peter McGauran were gooduns.

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:10 am

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:51 am

smnmntl wrote:One thing you have to say about Howard, though, is that he's not afraid to share intimate details of his personal life in public

Here he is, giving a frank illustration of the dimensions of Janette's vagina

More likely his first "Head" of state experience with George "things are bigger in texas, Jarney" Bush.

Caption should read "He was bigger than Alexander."

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 pm

Downer and Reith certainly covered themselves in glory in this one.

The quality of their characters shine for all to see.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 pm

the most shocking part about last night's episode was the bit in Tasmania with the forestry workers.

A group of "blue collar, tattooed" (JWH's words, he left out the term "union members") applauding and shaking hands with JWH. Who would have thought that union members would be greeting a Liberal PM like a hero?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:03 pm

petulance wrote:the most shocking part about last night's episode was the bit in Tasmania with the forestry workers.

A group of "blue collar, tattooed" (JWH's words, he left out the term "union members") applauding and shaking hands with JWH. Who would have thought that union members would be greeting a Liberal PM like a hero?
Lets put that in context however...... Latham turned up a few days before and virtually said that if he was PM the whole forest would be protected and logging to be reduced equalling major job losses. Johnnie said the opposite and was subsequently revered in the ALP 'heartland'

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Should we tell Bood this close to Xmas that all politians lie?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:42 pm

It's one thing to lie during a press conference in order to save your political hide that afternoon in Parliament. It's quite another to lie repeatedly and with considerable premeditation directly into the teeth of history.

PB
regular

Post by PB » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Lets not forget the AWB scandal, either (which hopefully will get a mention on next Monday's episode)

I think what stands out most about howard's time in office is his complete disloyalty to anyone & everyone

There basically wasn't anyone or anything he wasn't prepared to bully or fuck over in order to remain in power

I'm caught between thinking Peter Costello was a man of misguided loyalties, or simply a gutless fool whose refusal to put his ambitions on the line kept us stuck with Howard

Even had his challenge been unsuccesful, he'd still have destabilised the party to the extent he may have succeeded at a later date

Keating had the guts to do this (give up Treasury & return to the back-benches to launch his next move), and it's why he managed to wrestle the PM's job away from Hawke (eventually)

Petro Giorgio is about the only Liberal from the Howard years who comes away not looking like a complete piece of shit

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:45 pm

it's un-Australian :lol:

PB
regular

Post by PB » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:48 pm

"Should we tell Bood this close to Xmas that all politians lie?"

The 'core & non-core promises' thing should have told us early in the piece that Howard had no shame about getting caught lying

This alone was such a smug, arrogant, disrespectful way to treat the electorate he ought to have been booted out in 1998