Pintails

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Pintails

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:30 am

Not as prevalent these days, why? Can’t tell me they don’t work.

Pure :wink: foley, or Webber’s next big thing so people might be more accepting http://www.webbersurfboards.com/

I know Rich’s (Pure Surfboards) theory, I will let him chime in if he gets time/motivation, but must admit I haven’t been near one for decades.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:27 pm

my gun has a pintail....

maybe they arent as prevelant anymore cause it was better in the old days :lol:

On a serious note, i cant imagine them being very prevalent in a place like sydney except for on guns, because we generally have pretty gay surf...(dont even mention friday :cry:)
im sure somewhere like margs they might be more common?
Arent you a shaper RV?

KK probably only has pintails, cause on the waves he must charge (judging by his posts) you wouldnt want to be sliding out......

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 pm

g_u_m_b_y wrote:Arent you a shaper RV?
A Clayton’s shaper, Gummy, meaning primarily for myself and anyone brave enough to be steered down some strange path... :D certainly don’t do it for a living but a fun and challenging outlet for those who like creating stuff. Suggest you give it a belt some time, will change your appreciation of the craft and the craft. :wink:

I’ll see if I can get RichQ theorising.

moreorless
regular

Re: Pintails

Post by moreorless » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Pure :wink: foley, or Webber’s next big thing so people might be more accepting http://www.webbersurfboards.com/
Out of interest, and at a slight tangent, has anyone here ever actually ever ridden a Webber "twin pin", or plain old Webber twin fin for that matter?

I'm not entirely convinced by the deep double concave / large raked twin fin combo.

Do these things actually go?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:06 pm

moreorless wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Pure :wink: foley, or Webber’s next big thing so people might be more accepting http://www.webbersurfboards.com/
Out of interest, and at a slight tangent, has anyone here ever actually ever ridden a Webber "twin pin", or plain old Webber twin fin for that matter?
Tangents are good, MOL... Rich had some dialogue with him re the pins with deep double in the last couple of weeks, he might pass on something but primarily I think it related to fin positions... having said that, the Webber guns have massive raked mothers so not overly relevant to the garden variety thruster.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:20 pm

i'm not sure why ric...use love a pin tail

maybe when u look at 2nd reefers "are our big wave boards getting shorter" thread ( no i won't revive it....revivals are soooo like laST YEAR) it's fair say pinnys just don't suit modern designs :?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:28 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:it's fair say pinnys just don't suit modern designs :?
That’s what I’m looking for, Fangoway and I say to you bull... :twisted:

Surfboard design should be about the rider and how they ride - dare I say it - naturally :x :D and not a compromise on where one shuffles one’s foot. :shock:
Last edited by ric_vidal on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:31 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
g_u_m_b_y wrote:Arent you a shaper RV?
A Clayton’s shaper, .
he's a visionary and a pioneer .....

my last pin tail was my first fibreglass board ... I was 10 and the guy across the road had a horrible looking green gun that he never used and sold it to me for $25 including a legrope ...

it was way too big for me and I had it for two months before I sold it to a girl for $20 including a legrope ....

with the advancement in designs and in particular rails it's hard to imagine a use for a pin tail around our neck of the woods these days .... unless it is for sentimental reasons ...

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Still a fan of the rounded pin, my last board was a RP. They hold nice in the barrel while handling simular to a square due to the extra area.

Straight pins are to pivoty but great for a straight line indo gun I guess.

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Not so sure about pins lacking relevancy: of course for guns they're essential, but also for medium surf, and just grunty offshore beachbreak days. I have a 6'5" pin that I step up off my shorties when it gets a bit overhead or gets hollow, and I think I'm going to be doing quick adjustments in a steep pocket. It is still quite wide at the 12" tail measurement - possibly still 13 3/4" which is about the same as most shortboards, but then pulls in quickly to the pin. Lots of confidence on take-offs and setting up tubes from the face. I can put smallish fins in to cut down on the 'sticky' feeling the pin can deliver, yet the tail-curve is so good on steep faces.
Also, for lighter guys that are into severe direction changes and hacks - still good to compensate for lack of muscle. Younger guys learning about power and drive should spend time on 'em instead of overdoing the spastic slide moves which seems to be the fashion. (can't bottom turn, but can slide a mid-face half-turn) (pardon the gripe)

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:35 pm

rounded pin yes, pin no.

get one of those square tumblers and a normal round one. compare tipping them and rolling them on their base. that's why. too pivoty. i can see why some people like them, but not for me. there's gotta be some roundness to the tail end of the arc.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:20 pm

I think round pins are coming back into their own with the advent of rail stringers ... it hasn't been fully recognised by the boardmakers involved, but rail-oriented manufacturing techniques are very much suited to pure curves.

Kinda found myself going back to a lot more round pins lately, partly as a result of carbon rails, partly 'cause I couldn't be f**ked riding a real board in waves less than three feet.

Cabo

Pintails

Post by Cabo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:25 pm

RV

Power to the Pin I reckon,

Call me old fashioned but I love my Pintail to bits, it is shaped by Chris Goulding (dont know where he is these days he used to shape at Aloha). It would have to be one of my all time favourite and reliable boards. It is 6'8, 18 3/4, 2 3/8. I ride it all the time when the swell is up mostly at Points. It is a cross between the second and fourth in your photo.

It is one of those boards I pretty much hang out to ride, so for me the Pinny is very relevant and reliable it is good for the steep take off, it bites when I think i've lost it, it is drivey and quick.

I had a similar one before this that was a little thinner and narrower however it actually slid out on occasion and I never quite figured out why this one went so much better.

I have definitely had some of the best waves in my life on this board. Unfortunately, it has a couple of stressies showing now, but I honestly hope the bugger stays with me forever.

I have a 7 0 Pinny as well but haven't ridden that for a long time.

So yeah, for me my Pinny still has relevance and I wouldn't worry if the next invention had 12 fins, 26 channels and a steering wheel, cause you'd have to give me a million bucks to trade the old Goulding in on "the next big thing".

I dunno but I have noticed a lot more roundtails in the last year particularly on good young surfers so maybe the pintail is on the comeback trail too.. I dunno.

Thanks for starting the thread.

Are they your boards in the photo??

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:24 pm

As just about everyone on this forum has more of an idea than me, I'll confine my comments to just two things

- I find that they are not aesthetically pleasing;

- due to first point, couldn't give a toss about second point.

I'm not so much a back foot surfer, and quite frankly I doubt that the tail shape really makes much difference for me.

Not for the fat bat though, although I would suggest think that is more to do with the extra rail length in the water as a result of the bat tail shape. I suspect that the tail shape is not really important, which is why the aesthetic is it's greatest value.

Now line up in a single file there, baseball bats are on your right, knuckle dusters a bit higher, boxing gloves and nanchuks to your left, grenades and other live ammunition can be purchased from the vendor...............................

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Cabo wrote:Are they your boards in the photo??
Yeah they're Ric's.

They were quite useful back when Ric originally brought them off the Ark :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Ric,, just in a mischievous mood.

BTW people, "Step into Liquid" is scheduled to be on tonight at 12.50 am. A bit late now to mention it really. Cheerio

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Don't really get off on squaretails much except for junky slop on my backhand. Rounded pins all the way for me most of the time. Even on my mal although theres more debate about how applicable that is.

Then again its been a while since I was a big lip banger.
The smaller the squaretail, squashtail whatever the closer to a pintail.
I'd go a swallowtail before a squaretail anyday.

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 pm

oldman wrote:As just about everyone on this forum has more of an idea than me, I'll confine my comments to just two things

- I find that they are not aesthetically pleasing;

Now line up in a single file there, baseball bats are on your right, knuckle dusters a bit higher, boxing gloves and nanchuks to your left, grenades and other live ammunition can be purchased from the vendor...............................
I won't entertain violent ripostes against gents named 'Oldman Barnacle' (you'll have to notch up some more posts and change yer surname) - but I will point out that your name suits outdated and slavish adherence to pure subjective aesthetics in surfboard design. The school of thought that says "if you love the look of it, then it'll be a dreamboard, mate" - and thus spawned a thousand bad spray jobs for teenagers in love with purple panel vans and orange shagpile carpets- needs to be jettisoned like a mouldy wetsuit in spring time. Modernise, get design savvy, get a mid-range round-pin while there's still winter swell! Carve a bit - live a bit!

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I think round pins are coming back into their own with the advent of rail stringers ... it hasn't been fully recognised by the boardmakers involved, but rail-oriented manufacturing techniques are very much suited to pure curves.

Kinda found myself going back to a lot more round pins lately, partly as a result of carbon rails, partly 'cause I couldn't be f**ked riding a real board in waves less than three feet.
Yes, while I disagree with some things Mr Carrowl scrawls, on this he has a point: tried a Hayden fibreflex for a while - too light, too flexy, too slippery under the fins: needs less rocker for my weight, pull in the rail-line for railwork on the face, go to a standard blank rather than the extra-light job. Horses for courses. Those boards love fast arcs and transferring from rail to rail - roundish pins and lowish rockers methinks. Don't need squares for float - need to use the bouyancy on the rail.