Newport: What are they doing?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

carhoonah

Newport: What are they doing?

Post by carhoonah » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Well, one week into the renovations of Barrenjoey Rd thru Newport Beach shopping center and already it's absolute chaos re. the traffic. Can't really see things improving 'cos the layout at the moment sort of refelcts what it's going to be like when it's finished. Bilgola, Av, Whale, Palm surfers rejoice ... no-one's gonna make it past the Bends

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:05 pm

If they get rid of the parking and allow two lanes it will be OK.

But then the shop owners will complain.

I suppose the only thing left is to ban all cars with 'baby on board' signs. Never been able to work that one out. Is anyone going to drive any different because a car is displaying that sign? That is apart from knowing that you are going to be stuck behind someone who has trouble working out what the accellerator does.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:51 am

Hate to break it to you Felix but the baby on board stickers were originally for if the car crashed people would be aware that there was a baby in a capsule in the back and would look for it.

DucksNuts
regular

Post by DucksNuts » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 am

newport was already painful enough when you got those inconsiderate pr1cks who would stop, and reverse park from the middle lane.
theyre trying to create the "village" feel that exists in avalon at the moment: too bad avalon has a main road which by-passes all of it :lol:
buckle up and enjoy 6 months of pain trying to get through newport in peak time :evil:

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:58 am

Spoon wrote:Hate to break it to you Felix but the baby on board stickers were originally for if the car crashed people would be aware that there was a baby in a capsule in the back and would look for it.
Stupid me ... and I thought it was to warn me the driver would be talking on a mobile and liable to stop or turn at any time without signalling ... but there would be a chance that she was a MILF.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:19 pm

This is all just another form of entertainment for the Newportians: we get to watch the Avalon Yuppie All-Stars freaking out in their racked-up Beemers on the way back from shopping in Mona Vale's mega-priced delicatessen strip, panicking they'll miss their Yoga class.

Actually I bet it ends up better. Turning bays for the classic Right Hand Turn Blockade squad, plus more parking out the back of the shops. There's even gonna be a turning bay into the beach carpark for chrissake. What more do you want.

If you don't all stop whining, I'll get the groms to sit in the norfolk pines with eggs and greet you on the way through our Fair Suburb.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Weren't you in Mona Vale Woolies the week before last?

The Avcats have the newest and most expensive Woolies in Australia to shop at. They don't need to go to Mona (unless they can go there unseen by their peers).

Have you noticed how many shops in the Newy strip have closed lately? The boarded-up vacancies are pleasing only the graffiti artists. The most vibrant business in the place is the used cars for sale on the hill of a weekend.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:02 pm

Mona's a shit hole and any where further north is a wank. If the avcats had half an arse on em they'd confront the mosman youth and have it out proper like, problem is all them avcats are prim and proper pansies with no street cred whatsoever, Ive heard they still wear Lacoste, Burberry and Hilfiger, fuckin plastic pretenders! neck up parrots! Stone Island and Le Coq is where its at! :lol: :lol:

Dubbwah
Grommet

Post by Dubbwah » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:14 pm

And i thought the avcats were still into Ksubi(now spelt with a K)
or have they moved on to Insight

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 am

Felix wrote: The Avcats have the newest and most expensive Woolies in Australia to shop at.
Completely off topic but I think the most expensive Woolies is the one in Byron Bay :oops:

....Ok, carry on with the Avcat cyber-bashing :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:16 am

WANDERER wrote:Mona's a shit hole and any where further north is a wank. If the avcats had half an arse on em they'd confront the mosman youth and have it out proper like, problem is all them avcats are prim and proper pansies with no street cred whatsoever, Ive heard they still wear Lacoste, Burberry and Hilfiger, fuckin plastic pretenders! neck up parrots! Stone Island and Le Coq is where its at! :lol: :lol:
oh yay! another drunken post to be proud of haha :lol:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:11 am

oh right, here's where i say something like "yeah, well i'll smash yoos all"

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:31 am

Felix wrote:
Spoon wrote:Hate to break it to you Felix but the baby on board stickers were originally for if the car crashed people would be aware that there was a baby in a capsule in the back and would look for it.
Stupid me ... and I thought it was to warn me the driver would be talking on a mobile and liable to stop or turn at any time without signalling ... but there would be a chance that she was a MILF.
Spoon, that's a new one on me. I hadn't heard that justification for them before.

They may have originally been designed for that purpose, but for most people they signify what Felix said. In the eastern suburbs they should be considered more dangerous and with more licence to kill then James Bond and a 007 classification. (with apologies to Mrs Spoon if you have one of those signs on your car!) :D

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Speaking of stickers, has anyone else noticed how the Frangipani is now being replaced by the Hibiscus.

Part of Newport main street's re-design will feature special trapdoors in the road that upon the approach of a car with flower stickers, will swing open and dump the offender into the storm drain system.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Speaking of stickers, has anyone else noticed how the Frangipani is now being replaced by the Hibiscus.
Aha, my prediction came true.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Bumper sticker I saw on the weekend in Canberra:

"Flower stickers on cars?
AUSTRALIA SAYS NO!"

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:14 pm

oldman wrote:
Felix wrote:
Spoon, that's a new one on me. I hadn't heard that justification for them before.

They may have originally been designed for that purpose, but for most people they signify what Felix said. In the eastern suburbs they should be considered more dangerous and with more licence to kill then James Bond and a 007 classification. (with apologies to Mrs Spoon if you have one of those signs on your car!) :D
No apologies needed Oldman, my baby turned 13 on the weekend, I am thankfully way past that stage. 8)

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:19 pm

RickyG wrote:Bumper sticker I saw on the weekend in Canberra:

"Flower stickers on cars?
AUSTRALIA SAYS NO!"
I saw a bumper sticker with

"Bumper stickers on cars?
AUSTRALIA SAYS NO!"