Cleaner Conditions Needed for Body Boarders ??

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Do bodyboarders surf less?

Hell Yeah!
55%
Nah their out there all the time, even when its 40kts onshore!
45%
What are you on about??
No votes

Total votes: 11

SAsurfa
barnacle

Cleaner Conditions Needed for Body Boarders ??

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:13 am

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here goes anyway.

I was thinking this morning that us surfers can paddle out in almost any kind of conditions and have funt out there, sure it might be all over the place if its onshore but we all know you can still get a reasonable wave with a few wackable sections if you wait long enough :D .

Now I was wondering if body boarders head out fewer times than us because they need cleaner conditions to get into their favourite ledging barreling wave or celan wedge :idea: :?:

As surfers we can be versatile when the wind switches onshore and still have plenty of fun out on the open wave face or in the pocket, but once it turns onshore for some bodyboarding spots, the wave crumbles and sections when barreling so they can't really do much on a wallier standup kinda wave :idea:

So my question is that do body boarders hit the surf less than us standups because they need it to be basically clean all the time, which as we all know occurs less than onshore conditions if averaged out :?:

wanto
barnacle

Re: Cleaner Conditions Needed for Body Boarders ??

Post by wanto » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:17 am

SAsurfa wrote:funt
:lol:

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 am

good point. whatever the case there'll be exceptions anywhere of course but..

if its a good wedge then it doesnt need to be clean to be fun. and the same thing applies to some bowly ledges here on the east coast.

but theres no way ull see me out in fat, onshore beachies when i could just wait for the next morning n score heaving slabs at a reef nearby thats too shallow 4 sticks to surf.

the poll shouldve been, on average, who surfs for longer when the waves are offshore?? i clocked up 6hours+ for 4 days in a row last week.

maybe its to do with bodyboarders on average being younger? ie. more flexible schedules with uni/work or school ie. bigger bludgers haha. so maybe we're out more when its good n clean early?

AndyTheMan
Grommet

Post by AndyTheMan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:04 am

Is it too early in the thread for the 'FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT' chant...?????

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:05 am

As surfers are way less skilled and talented compared to body boarders they need to spend more time in the surf developing their skills in a relentless efforts to match the skill and talent of body boarding, and thus need to surf when it's onshore etc. ... where as the highly skilled and talented body boarder is born with a high degree of natural abilty that surfers could only dream of and thus have the luxury of being able to surf whenever they want whilst maintaining excessive skill levels ....

so it's simply a matter of body boarders being far more excessively highly skilled and talented compared to surfers ....

zander2nd
regular

Post by zander2nd » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:07 am

Surfin Turf wrote:As surfers are way less skilled and talented compared to body boarders they need to spend more time in the surf developing their skills in a relentless efforts to match the skill and talent of body boarding, and thus need to surf when it's onshore etc. ... where as the highly skilled and talented body boarder is born with a high degree of natural abilty that surfers could only dream of and thus have the luxury of being able to surf whenever they want whilst maintaining excessive skill levels ....

so it's simply a matter of body boarders being far more excessively highly skilled and talented compared to surfers ....
ahahahahahahahahhaa

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:10 am

Surfin Turf wrote: so it's simply a matter of body boarders being far more excessively highly skilled and talented compared to surfers ....
Wouldn't it be the other way around, because I can fall out of my bed and into a wave if I bodyboarded, hence no body boarders out in onshore cause it's so easy, they don't need practice, but surfers are out all the time because they are constantly trying to improce their skills, no matter what level they are at.

I just think bodyboarders are soft and get too cold when it turns onshore so head in :idea: :twisted: :arrow: :lol: Oh and their craft can only suit clean conditions otherwise they bounce around the wave like its a jumpy castle :shock: :arrow: :D

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:26 am

It's because bodyboarders are afraid of bluebottles.

vs
Grommet

Post by vs » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:26 am

as a bodyboarder and a closet surfer, i only bring the shortboard out when it's choppy, as the board's size enables me to generate 'speed' on otherwise fat, boring waves, whereas bodyboarding in onshore conditions is generally pointless unless it's sucky somewhere. Also, there does seem to be a large number of either keen or kooky surfers/BB-ers that will go out no matter what the conditions.

Also, SA surfa, you make a fairly poor observation; BB-ers don't avoid surf conditions because of lack of versatility or because of the wind conditions, it's often because the waves are weak, fat and full.

Maybe you should just ask a single bodyboarder rather than asking surfers, the only kids that reply to your Q probably wouldn't know what their on about and are just aiming for a cheap laugh.

p.s- why is that surfers always avoid wedges...honest Q...i'm talkin' about heavy wedges. They would have to be the amongst the most enjoyable waves to ride, yet i never see surfers ride them?

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 am

p.s- why is that surfers always avoid wedges...honest Q...i'm talkin' about heavy wedges. They would have to be the amongst the most enjoyable waves to ride, yet i never see surfers ride them?
enjoyable if ur a booger. surfers blow that many waves at wedges. not making barrels and always doggin the bowls n ramps. head to mystics on a 2ft sunny weekend. therell be about 100 hero surfers out, competing to see who can call everyone off and blow the best wave out there haha its great to watch

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:It's because bodyboarders are afraid of bluebottles.
yes ... and always remember that if you see bluebottles on the beach it means there will be millions in the surf and you will be stung sh!tless so stay away from the surf for at least a few days .... and steamers in the middle of summer are not a prevention for bluebottles ... it just makes you look like a soft c0ck ....

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:27 pm

I don't know if id like my waveriding to be pigeon holed so much that i am called a surfer or bodyboarder or whatever.
I ride (or try to) any board depending on the conditions.
being able to be versatile and adapt.

If i was stuck at a place like cullburra, the northern beaches or merewhether, id probably be riding surfboards more to adapt to they're waves shape, or lack of.

both myself and my brothers choose our boards for the conditions, and its quite fun.

as a kid there was an up and coming surfer (one of Andy kings mates) that would catch the train in the morning with us.
he once commented that your either a shortboarder or a bodyboarder, nothing in between.
i still cant see the logic in that, he is entitled to his opinion yet i cant stop thinking maybe he is being held back by being less flexible in his surfcraft choice. like there was some sort of fibreglass pride instilled in him from surf magasines and the attitude to bodyboarder at the time.

everyone is different though.
Last edited by marcus on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:39 pm

vs wrote: BB-ers don't avoid surf conditions because of lack of versatility or because of the wind conditions, it's often because the waves are weak, fat and full.
Yes you do, because the craft you choose to ride isn't as versatile as a surf board which can plane better and generate it's own speed.
vs wrote:p.s- why is that surfers always avoid wedges...honest Q...i'm talkin' about heavy wedges. They would have to be the amongst the most enjoyable waves to ride, yet i never see surfers ride them?
The only readibly accesable wedge around here closes out too much, has a rock covered floor which usually doesn't have sand on sections of it and is pretty short. And they are harder to surf, ie the amount of wipeouts/going over the falls/getting clipped or shutdown etc.

But I don't want this to be a BodyBoarder vs Standup Fight, I want to know if standups are out in the surf more than bodyboarders which it looks like they are.

sunny
Grommet

Post by sunny » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

I want to know if standups are out in the surf more than bodyboarders which it looks like they are.
maybe its just because there are alot more sticks than boogers around?

i reakon you should do a poll - boogers on average get much better waves than standups. we save our money on those trash days so we can travel a little further and get better waves when its on.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:44 pm

^^^^

and it begins ....

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:47 pm

sunny wrote:
i reakon you should do a poll - boogers on average get much better waves than standups. we save our money on those trash days so we can travel a little further and get better waves when its on.
I think that your the majority of fairly good lids will be prepared to travel a lot more,like do south coast trips more often whereas your average standup can just head down to their local beachie and have just as much fun.obviously there are exceptions.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:56 pm

Male booger riders sit down to go the toilet.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:59 pm

Hatchman wrote:Male booger riders sit down to go the toilet.
dont you hate it when your doing a poo and then you need to do a p!ss?
its a really awkward thing to do in a public toilet.