Surfing Jobs

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lovenutz
regular

Surfing Jobs

Post by lovenutz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:46 am

The surf has been pumping all week.......and the banks have been shitehouse to say the least...

I know some of my fav little reefs up and down the coast would have been pumping......but alas i have to work!!!!!

Its been doing my head in and was just wondering what are some good surf jobs with ok money and flexibility of lifestyle? thought it would be a good discussion

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:36 pm

Pro?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Hmmm

lovenutz can you define what you mean by 'surf job' ie. do you mean a job that allows you the fexibility to surf, or a job within the surf industry?

In general many jobs in the surf industry (with exceptions) do not pay the best $$$ ie. a similar job in the IT or Finance industry would probably net you more loot. However the trade off with a surf related job is 'lifestyle'.

If you wish to have a job which allows you flexibility, then one needs to think about working for themselves.

There is no doubt that owning your own business can allow you flexibility and lifestyle choices down the track. The trade off is you may have to work ur butt off for the first few years. Also its easier said than done.

Then there are people who own their own business who work thir butts off and end up with no lifestyle flexibility. I can suggest people read a great book call 'The E Myth' if your interested in this topic.

If you are young there are two suggestions I can give which may allow you more lifestyle flexibility down the track (my own personal thoughts)

- look at working for yourself rather than someone else.
- Do not rely solely on your job for income. Set yourself up with a good investment plan early. Theres nothing like having the flexibility of not having to work if you so choose. Its nice to be able to hold a job, without needing it just for $$$. The number one tip I can give here is EDUCATE yourself coz they don't teach this stuff at Uni or school.
- Get yourself a mentor. Someone who is successful at all the above.

Happy surfing :lol:

Luke
Local

Post by Luke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Here are a couple,

Centrelink
Drug Dealer
Night / Afternoon Shift Worker
Security
Personal Trainer

halfy
Local
Location: Don't you think you've had a little too much to drink

Post by halfy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:13 pm

surf school instructor????

you won't be hitting the best waves though hahaha

Clarky
regular

Post by Clarky » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:02 pm

its funny how, even though we whinge about not having swell, and we finaly get swell, someone finds something negative about it hahahaha.
:P

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:16 pm

The bank I surfed in yesterdays offshore fanned perfection was a freight train to the white massage room today.

So much swell, so little time.

John Howard's skills shortage is the new Bob Hawke surf team.

Get skilled, take the day off when ya want.

longbum
Local

Re: Surfing Jobs

Post by longbum » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 pm

lovenutz wrote:The surf has been pumping all week.......and the banks have been shitehouse to say the least...

I know some of my fav little reefs up and down the coast would have been pumping......but alas i have to work!!!!!

Its been doing my head in and was just wondering what are some good surf jobs with ok money and flexibility of lifestyle? thought it would be a good discussion
banks are insane down hefre brother...

I've only worked in the surf industry mate for the last 20 years from seeping bays to owning my own store and let me tell ya the pay isn't great. I basically kept in it because I love it and it let me surf more. Definately not to make money out of it, you just gotta way up whats more im portant to ya.

macgreggor
regular

Post by macgreggor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 pm

Yes, the E-Myth and might I also recommend personality plus and the purple cow (serious titles) if you suggest working for yourself.Mate, if your young ie under 50, throw caution to the wind, have nerves of steel, back yourself all the way, work bloody hard to start with and don't believe that a good job is the be all and end all. All my millionaire mates are f-----g jealous of the fact that I live "down the coast" and surf and fish when I want within reason because I work for myself, no employees, sure the tradeoff is my business should be much bigger and better but all in good time because it's offshore at the moment.Now about that Govt grant?..................................

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:18 pm

i work in a leagues club at nights

pro = all the surfing time i want (before 7pm...)

con = dont have my fri-sat nights anymore.. pretty crap for a 19 year old