2nd board

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: 2nd board

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:53 pm

pinhead wrote:
Hatchnam wrote:Get another one but just go a size or two smaller
Alternatively - put on a lot of weight. Quite a few guys on this forum are major fatties.
Excellent advice pinhead. Remember Realsurfers: Get Fat. get Real.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Speaking of which ER.. I was thinking of getting a Bad Seeds.. Do you know them/ him ?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:56 pm

mate, I'll be the first to break the code... the hypto krypto suggestions are a running joke on this forum.

So if the dom is 'too much volume', what exactly do you want different? Dropping to (say) 38l could be done by boards from around 5ft4 to 6ft6, grovellors to fish to 'high perf' boards. Flat rocker, quads. The whole range. Do you want a shorter board, easier to turn, easier to duck dive, something for bigger waves. Are you willing to forego paddling ease, wave catching or stability and, if so, by how much. etc

If you are prepared to buy a HK or similar, then you can afford to get one made by a local shaper. Ask if you want recommendations.

On the other hand, if you have surfed the HK and you like it then go for it. General commentary is that its not really a board that works for anyone under at least good intermediate; but if you like it then get it. Doubt its the best choice but you don't know until you buy it. Don't get too worked up over volume after a year of surfing. I'm sure there is a good second hand market if its all wrong.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 am

Maybe get a smaller or similar version of what you have, finer/lower railer maybe (medium rail), pulled/less in the tail maybe, tiny bit more rocker maybe. Keep the orginial board when you blame the new board for a bad couple of days, go back to it for confidence and then switch back when you get your timing back on the new one. Try not to get a board with a refined nose that requires power paddling and good timing and wave positioning your wave count will drop. And please make your mind up before walking into a surfshop most are no different to car salesman or are young rippers who dont know s*it.

MR puffer fish looks like fun, smaller dominator, any hybrid prob (stable, turns).....I know nothing about McCoys but a lot of guys in your position ride them because of the foam but they are so unique it might not be a good long term choice, HK...I see good surfers surf them short and well, I see alot of beginner types struggling on them.

decorob

Post by decorob » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 am

thanks heaps everyone i think i will probably go and talk to a shaper or something about it. Thanks everyone for helping me out really appreciated.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:05 pm

I just read your original post. You've been surfing for a year?

You don't need a new board yet but if you want a new board you most definitely don't need to talk to a shaper. Go to a good surfboard dedicated surf shop
Last edited by andy2476 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Get rid of The Dominator. Do not buy another one.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

decorob

Post by decorob » Wed May 06, 2015 4:34 pm

May I just add that I weigh 75 kgs if anyone has any size recommendations

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed May 06, 2015 5:01 pm

may i recommend a 7'2" sweet potato from firewire?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:00 pm

decorob wrote:May I just add that I weigh 75 kgs if anyone has any size recommendations
Don't think that there is such a thing as too much volume.

Make sure you keep your 6'6 if you can afford it. I used a 6'8 Miller Waterskate as my next board after learning on a mini mal and I still surf it today. Actually yesterday. I was 80kg when it was new. Now 77kg so close enough to you.

It's so easy to get caught up in the marketing bullshit. I did.... And I loved trying new boards, but all the chopping and changing didn't do me any favours IMO.

Let us know a little more about what you want to achieve out of your surfing and what kinds of waves you mainly surf.

If I was you I'd be looking at Grant Miller's website, and thinking about which one of his shapes suits where you want to take your surfing.

My guess is waterskate or vskate models.

If you keep your dominator then get a 6'4 vskate or if you only want to have one board at a time then get a 6'4 waterskate. You'll notice the 2 inch difference and the less floatation in both volume and construction.
Grants boards are very well made and will last you years.

Don't go to surf shops, go to shapers. And if you've started, stop reading the firewire forums. Utter garbage.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed May 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Can't go wrong with a Miller.

StayPuft

Post by StayPuft » Wed May 06, 2015 9:43 pm

I third the Miller suggestion. After two years of surfing, I spoke to Grant about a custom. He asked me how often I surf and where, what I was currently capable of etc, then made me a board which did exactly what he said it would. I progressed on it at exactly the rate he predicted and it helped me go from my learner board to more of a traditional shortboard without any transition period. For the record, I'm 70kg and he made me a 6'4" x 20" x 2 9/16" v-skate. I can't recommend him highly enough for beginners and fat/old bastards.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 12, 2015 7:28 am

Friend of mine hasn't surfed for 25 years decides it's time to get back into it, we have a surf he can't stand up really. I recommended if he was going to keep it up get a Mini mal then a Miller perhaps. Smart guy, manages a lot of people paid big coin etc..turns up with a new JS the same height as him. I said nothing but thought surfing is sport that is still driven by ego and "cool", if that board isn't sold by August I'll be surprised. Wanted to grab him by the shoulders and shake him and scream "WTF".

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue May 12, 2015 10:18 am

You can even get a Miller 'mini mal' (the powerglide). I have one, its a great board (in most conditions)

After about 5 sessions say 'mate, its just your fitness, you need to start off slow. Get a mini mal and in 6 months time you will be on that JS no problems'. Let him dream...

Is your area predominately shortboards? I surf around NSW South Coast and, admittedly, its a fairly touristy/older person crowd in most places, but the beach breaks are very longboard heavy (there are reef breaks that are not, of course). Sometimes I have the shortest board out there and its 7ft4, although if there are 10 people out its really crowded so its not exactly a huge sample. So turning up with a mini mal would make you fit right in; but in a bunch of shortboarders you might feel like the old guy at the lesbian pub. Maybe if you sent him off to a secondary break, or Bondi, his ego wouldn't feel as exposed.

But the middle aged male ego, its a sensitive animal

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 12, 2015 10:37 am

Leave him be. Another harmless bobber in the line-up is better than a middle aged "lion" on a SUP.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 12, 2015 1:06 pm

yeh good point SS

CTD, nah Northern Beaches b/w long reef to Manly......probably on weekends..... he wont be alone.