Over obsessing with "style"

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:35 am

As to stylish surfers, what about Joey Cabell or Billy Hamilton, hard to top them. Baddy Trelor in Morning of the Earth comes to mind. Then again some of the most stylish surfing at pipe I have ever seen was some footage of Rory Russel from "Fantasea" (awsome film by the way and a great soundtrack, even has an intermission) that guy just ruled the place.

Sure Pottz was radical at times but from my point of view I find it hard to describe him as a "stylish" surfer.

Sinkers

Post by Sinkers » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:51 am

Hey KK
I DO remember seeing Kong, oops Gary E. at Sunset with a VERY strange epileptic/delerium tremens arm wobble which did nothing for his look, I was kinda embaressed actually..

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:10 am

If you want to see some weird hand/arm movements try and catch some footage of Rick Rasmusson (probably spelt that last name wrong but....). He is in the aformentioned "Fantasea" geting stuck into sizeable J Bay with one of the strangest styles you will ever see.

Sinkers

Post by Sinkers » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:41 am

Modern era? Hard to go past Joel Tudor, check out the 'Longer' DVD & see Joel surf a quiver from 9'8" down to 5'9" & everything in between, with a flawlessnes, just sums up 'style' consumately...

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:40 pm

No question JT is a very bloody smooth rider who has mastered pretty much all forms of surfing. Remember when he made the finals of the Pipe Masters, from the trials on a leashless single fin? Respect there.

Still, TCurren gets my vote. Smooth & Radical, good in any size surf.

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:52 pm

Hey bra, what about Mr Bumblebee. That guy was all style. How can you beat a matching black and yellow wetsuit and goatboat.

It's funny how most of these guys getting mentioned here, Curren, Tudor etc were not only stylish in the water but usually out of it as well.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:58 pm

Hmmm, do you mean out of the water or just "out of it"? bro?

either or both could apply if the rumours are true.....

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:30 am

:D 8) Curren I Think or maybe Nah Curran for shore.

Sinkers

Post by Sinkers » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:10 am

Never saw Curren riding anything other than a shortboard, Joel Tudor for me as the ultimate all-rounder...

matt...
charger

style...

Post by matt... » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:11 am

martin potter is the master of style...
1987 coke classic at manly, when he came second to TC, he styled it up all the way through the heats/semis.....killer smooth cutties, way vertical reos...it goes on!
And floaters! he even did a backhand floater at Pipe masters in about '89/'90.
i saw him out at south end of whaley in the early '90's, he took off really close to the rocks, and surfed about 20 metres in about 2 seconds, man, he was going fast, and managed to do a reo, a floater & a snap on a dribbly 3 foot summer wave.unbeleivable.

talking about weird arm action - what about ROB BAIN ! He was always turning his torso backwards looking where he had been & at the same time directing traffic with his arms & hands! Perfect example of this was the IMB/OP Pro at Wollongong in the late '80's in mushy surf. Him & Kong were the traffic cops of the '80's out in the surf!!!!!!!!!

all respect to rob bain, though, I did manage to see him surf out at bower & n.steyne & he charged.

but the king of floaters - Mark Sainsbury (RIP), he stayed up there longer than anyone.

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:24 am

How about Neco padaratz for a shonky style, or Simon Law from the past. heheh Gawd, when he surfed switchfoot, used ta make me laugh.

Sinkers

Post by Sinkers » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:53 am

Out-of-the-water style award- heard of Bunker Spreckles? Pimp Daddy supreme...