What is about surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

unclethirsty
Grommet

What is about surfing

Post by unclethirsty » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Yeah, what is IT about surfing, what is that gives you that high that shit eating grin that feeling that all is ok. I've got to ask this 'cause lately, say 4 mnths, I had not been surfing that good (not hard in sydney with shite surf) & the fact that I'm 60 . I've had my miller 7'4"vskate, 7'8' powerglide & JD 6'10" out. Went up the coast down the coast even went to South Sumatra still couldn't get it together. So after some deep thinks I went and got a new board. Got a 7'4" Takayama scorpion tuffie, set it up as a 2+1 and took it out into yep yet more Sydney slop.Dunno if its the board, but jees it does feel good to me, or the training I've been doing but I'm back. So last weekend I'm out at South Palm beach, sun is out, waters warm & for the waves on offer I'm riding well & doing what i love. Come out 3hrs later feeling better than I have in months & got that shit eating grin.So what is it that makes you feel so good after a good surf. I've seen mates that play golf & other sports & they say they played well etc but not one of them has that SURFERS grin. Me I dunno what it is but shit I love it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: What is about surfing

Post by Trev » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Apart from one or two occasions over the years where I've nearly died, I don't think I've ever come in without that grin.
I may doddle around for an hour deciding whether or not to paddle out but once I'm out there I never regret it.

Although, some days the grin is bigger than others.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm

maybe it's the pheronomes? combined with the hormones. not to mention the homoeroticisms! and the relief at not being eaten by a shark. so many factors to consider, gee whiz.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm

The older I get the better surfing seems as an activity........although sometimes at Bondi :roll:
I've actually been thinking about how as I get more decrepit I'm going through a reverse adolescence. Some things get more hypothetical like looking at hot women and really gnarly waves and simple stuff becomes more fun like having a good surf at the local. It seem really great.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 pm

I fcuken love it

strips away the bullshit.

Allan
regular

Post by Allan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 pm

I like the feel of a good fitting wetsuit.

My wesuit fits pretty darn good too..

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 pm

the smell,the touch,the taste,the sound and the sight of the ocean all come together as a smorgasboard of erotic sensation.It makes my fins go hard....

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 pm

2 hours away from my family.

Yep.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 am

because it's Summer.

Summer's surfing season. In the winter they frequent weird politico-type sites like crikey etc.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am

For me its because I'm still actively participating it stops me from fooling myself into telling stories about how great a sportsperson I was when I was younger (thank christ becuase its not true). That and a new middle aged earing and/or red sports car.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am

Same here.
A dose of sunshine and warmer water and the sheeple factor goes through the roof.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 pm

whst's a matter dude? aren't you down with the surfing vibe? gimme a bro handshake, c'mon...
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:36 pm

reginald wrote:Another troll. Why do they all come out at christmas?
If your refering to me I'm actualy here quite often I just don't bother commenting much anymore because,well look at your comment,ha,why would anyone want to comunicate with that? :d

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:18 pm

As corny and hippy as it sounds surfing just a good excuse to be in the ocean amongst nature and get a buzz as a bonus.

The best flipside of surfing though is the places it takes you, for me to every corner of OZ and Indo.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Salt water thickens my beard.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 pm

The summer trolls, came blowin in - from across the west
It lingered there, so warm and fair - to walk with Allan
All summer long, Claudia sang a song - and strolled on golden sand
Two sweethearts, and the summer trolls...
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Thats beautiful Coops.
I can smell the gentle smoke of the burning threads in every word.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bindy123

Post by bindy123 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:28 pm

unclethirsty wrote:Yeah, what is IT about surfing, what is that gives you that high that shit eating grin that feeling that all is ok. I've got to ask this 'cause lately, say 4 mnths, I had not been surfing that good (not hard in sydney with shite surf) & the fact that I'm 60 . I've had my miller 7'4"vskate, 7'8' powerglide & JD 6'10" out. Went up the coast down the coast even went to South Sumatra still couldn't get it together. So after some deep thinks I went and got a new board. Got a 7'4" Takayama scorpion tuffie, set it up as a 2+1 and took it out into yep yet more Sydney slop.Dunno if its the board, but jees it does feel good to me, or the training I've been doing but I'm back. So last weekend I'm out at South Palm beach, sun is out, waters warm & for the waves on offer I'm riding well & doing what i love. Come out 3hrs later feeling better than I have in months & got that shit eating grin.So what is it that makes you feel so good after a good surf. I've seen mates that play golf & other sports & they say they played well etc but not one of them has that SURFERS grin. Me I dunno what it is but shit I love it.
I just do it to pick up chicks...haha...if that was really the case I would have given up many years ago!

Love the post man...and like yourself...havent found anything else in life so far that compares...take it easy