Fiji 2012

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

aaronn
barnacle

Re: Fiji 2012

Post by aaronn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:19 am

steve shearer wrote:Interesting also to note that after a week in the South Pacific, there wasn't anyone remotely standing out as a current World Title Contender.

This one looks like being another canter for Kelly.

Wright, Wilson, Florence all capitulated very easily at the Pointy end of the comp.

Parko and Fanning seemd just as they always have been, just off Kelly's shoulder but no major existential threat over the long haul. Very much known knowns.

Gabby has probs left the run too late this year after a poor start. And he looks undercooked on his backhand.
english translation forthcoming?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am

steve shearer wrote: Gabby has probs left the run too late this year after a poor start. And he looks undercooked on his backhand.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I wouldn't commit to this statement Shearer.

Trestles and France he'll probably win if it's smallish and has any ramps.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 am

Yeah, he may win but he's too far back in the Field to be a threat barring some kind of total meltdown from Old Baldy.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am

it's kinda similar to last year when Slater missed Jbay then had the shitfight with Owen.

Medina is sitting kinda far back at this point. He has the ability to make the semis or win every event left this year, and he is likely to win two of these. maybe.

But I suck at maths so I'm more than likely wrong here.

Why is DeSouza doing so well dammit? He should be booted off tour for the offensive late 80s crab-stance display he put on in Brazil this year. If anyone saw it they will never forget.
He is horrible to look at in every way.

T. Knox is having a shit year

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:24 pm

el rancho wrote:Trestles and France he'll probably win if it's smallish and has any ramps.
These were the exact conditions at Brazil this year and he faded out very early on in that comp!!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:56 pm

"But when you manufacture an image that is a construction composing male surfers as “gladiators” going to battle with and dominating nature, then try to back-peddle in the middle of a colosseum calling for blood (which you too have created), you are going to be called out. And that calling out will inevitably be from the anonymous masses you are trying to sell the image to… who have bought the image… who are looking to you to validate the image every time you paddle out into the line-up… and who are pretty damn pissed they have been fleeced and lied to…"

That's quite an interesting point.

And aaronn linked to something sensible. That's a really interesting turnaround. :shock:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Slats is still the master of backhand barrels. Just got love the lines he draws, I mean u got appreciate the artistry of those waves and use your easel accordingly. Just fkn beautiful man.

To be honest I would of scored medina's cheese whizs under 5.0 at resturants. Its an insult to the wave, he didnt deserve to win that heat.
I like a big exciting air as much as the next guy but they lack the artistery and soul at a place like that. Maybe im old school.
Last edited by Nappy on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Nappy wrote:Slats is still master of backhand barrels. Just got love the lines he draws, I mean u got appreciate the artistry of those waves and use your easel accordingly. Just fkn beautiful man.

To be honest I would of scored medina's cheese whizs under 5.0 at resturants. Its an insult to wave, he didnt deserve to win that heat.
I like a big exciting air as much as the next guy but they lack the artistery and soul at a plce like that. Maybe im old school.
I thought this in his round 4 win over Parko and Fannning. Parko got real deep on some bombs and Medina kinda minced away on the inside. His winning wave was like a chop-hop reverse to another air reverse on the closeout. It was literally a shoulder high wave.

I didn't like it.

But he knows what it takes to get things done. he is deadly

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:45 pm

I thought his performance the whole way through was underwhelming.

The chop hop to twirly bird was an embarassment.

Slater schooled him big-time and that will be in the back of his mind come Teahupoo, and prolly Stressles as well.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 am

And so another air v face manouvers controversy ensues.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Very pessimistic there Steve Shearer.

If Parko surfed the entire event like he did on R3 he would have won the event or at least matched Slater. Same with Owen. If Taj had continued to surf like he did in R5 against Parko he would have pushed Slater. To me the issue isn't talent, it's consistent application of that talent, and Taj is the absolute worst at that. He should have beaten Medina and if he had stuck to his heat strategy he would have got that set that came with around 3 mins to go and taken a heat winning score. Instead he chased an inside close out and was out of position (the spot he'd been sitting all heat until then) when the wave came. Mind you, if Parko was on the two bombs Taj got Parko would probably have matched taj. It was all about wave selection for this event, imho.

Slater seems to be better at the mental discipline side of things, and conning judges into overscoring his hail mary heat snatchers.

John John Florence seems to have the whole wave act to make No 1 any time in the next few years. Julian Wilson has the competitive fibre and surfing, but seems to fall short too often. Owen definitely has the surfing but gets outr of synch with the waves from time to time.

If Parko and Mick or Taj or JJ can maintain mental application and heat discipline for the year they are right in it. I don't think Taj has the mental discipline to do it consistently. Mick can, but it seems to drain him. Parko seems to have learnt to deal with the pressure and surf consistently well. He needs to select the better waves to win come the pointy end of an event though, as his surfing is built around complimenting a wave rather than dominating it.

Anyway, I'm backing in the Aussies and I definitely want to see Parko walk away with the world title his talent deserves.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 pm

So what your basically saying is that when it really counts none of 'em do it as well as Slater.

But we should overlook their shortcomings anyway because their Aussies?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Well, we know that when Fanning turns on his competitive focus he can match Slater competitively. Fanning doesn't seem to be able to maintain that focus for as long as Slater though. What I'm saying when it comes to Fainning is if he does what he has demonstrated twice so fas is that he can do what Slater does. We just don't know if he will do it this year.

We also know (or at least i believe) that Parko has learnt to deal with the pressure of competing.

Taj I'd cheer wholeheartedly if I had confidence he'd compete consistently but I judt don't think he has it in him.

So do I barrack for them because they''re Aussies? Yes, guilty as charged. Do I think they are lesser surfers than Slater? That's a charged question because Slater is unquestionably the best competitive surfer even, but talent wise I see the Parkos and Fannings and Owens and Tajs and JJ's and Jordys and Medinas as being very close, with Medina needing a few more years of growth to round out his talent. Personally, I'd prefer to watch Parko surf a good wave over Slater any day. So I think if the guys in the top 6 or so maintain mental discipline they are right in the hunt for the world title. Slater can only afford one more bad result. This is a strong field. And of those lot I'll be cheering for the Aussies, polishing my southern cross tatt and vomiting with the best of them in Kuta.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 am

steve shearer wrote:I thought his performance the whole way through was underwhelming.

The chop hop to twirly bird was an embarassment.

Slater schooled him big-time and that will be in the back of his mind come Teahupoo, and prolly Stressles as well.
yes, remember Pipeline Masters last year? Gabriel squeaked his way to the quarters or something, I never saw him take a proper Pipe wave. He took down Dorian, who was going for glory on the biggest and deepest waves he could find, but just being a touch too deep and getting caned. Medina twirled around on small ones and sleazed through.

I think he can barrel ride quite well, but it's like he would rather get two seven point rides instead of going for tens. It just seems at odds with the way other guys approach heats.

which is why Dane never won a WCT event, despite creaming all over every other surfer on the planet.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:11 pm

i reckon medina will do fine at teahupoo and pipe. he's an awesome barrel rider. almost all his heats at fiji he got great barrels, even if they weren't the biggest, and he did heaps of huge carves and hacks. i'm much more impressed by medina in heavy left reefs than little beachies where he wins with his airs and looks straitjacketed on his backhand. maybe slater schooled him in the final but he's still growing and learning, he'll come back better and stronger fast and will be schooling slater in similar and different situations in the near future. bet you five bucks steve.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 pm

OK.
or a hundred word story

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:47 pm

we're on then, although i'm not sure how this miniature story thing will work out, anyway see you back here at the end of the year and we'll decide who's won the bet.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:26 pm

OK, you can find me in the phone book.