Sunnies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Natho
barnacle

Sunnies

Post by Natho » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:47 am

Ok, Im in the market for a quality pair of polorized sunnies and just wondering what people suggest for a good quality brand. Advise given to me so far from a couple of people 'in the know' is to steer clear of most surf shop brands if looking for quality lenses and value for money, and also steer clear of designer fashion label brands. So far i have been using Oakley polorized sunnies, and while fairly happy with em i have found that their lenses scratch easily and they are expenisive for what you get.
Some suggestions so far for best quality lenses is either Maui Jim or Costa del Mar. While these are not cheap ( $160 - $200 a pair if you get a good deal out of USA) I am told that these brands leave the likes of Oakley for dead for quality and clarity of lenses. Another brand suggested to me is Spotters which I understand are an Australian brand and are great quality. Anyone got any other suggestions or general feedback?

gabsouy
regular

Re: Sunnies

Post by gabsouy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 am

go to any of the fishing forums and ask, the sunnies those fishos wear seem to have way better optics and polarization than major surf brands,can get a good pair under $100...they are lightweight as well. mine we given the O.K. by my optometrist.......
Last edited by gabsouy on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Go to an optometrist, they have the frames and they will put suitable lenses to fit your needs and when need be you can get the lens replaced. Most of the glasses you buy off the net and surfshops the lense can't be replaced.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:10 pm

I am after a good pair that fade at the bottom of the lens. Any suggestions?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 pm

i got some prescription blu eyewear surfing sunnies with the strap.
got $250 back off medical insurance
havent tried em in the surf as yet as its been late arvo - evening sessions.
however in the kayak they are noice.
just cant read the depth sounder because of the polaroid lenses :lol: :lol:

http://www.blu-eye.com/_catalog_52169/Squid
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:43 pm

After I bought these, I had so much money left over I was high-siding it and lighting my ciggies with one dollar bills. Yo.

Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Lolo
Grommet

Post by Lolo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I bought a pair of Maui Jim's a couple of years ago and they are
Awesome. Can't fault them at all. Clearest lenses and best polarization I've ever had

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Maui Jim's are an excellent choice ... but ... if you want the best sunnies on the market ... try a pair of SPOTTERS ... they are truly exceptional.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Some of the Maui Jim ones are pretty good, from the look at them. Im digging the Otis brand as well. 100% UVA and UVB mineral glass lenses.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeh Nath Maui Jim's are the ants pants and you will see them everywhere if you are still in Hawaii.Costa del Mar are supposed to be up there as well.At around $200 Maui Jim's are in fact good value when you compare them to some of the surf brand plororized models and even Oakleys.The surf brand sunnies are complete crap in comparison.Ive also heard Spotters are great as well but Maui Jim and Costas seem to have the reputation for the best glass lenses on the market.A good fit should let hardly any light in around the frames.My Maui Jim's fit like a glove and are yet to show any sign of scratching or chipping and I've given em hell.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:44 pm

+ 1 for having a perve at any Oz fishing website; they all have plenty of long discussions on best polarised glasses. Spotters and MJ very good. Another brand popular with fishos are Makos. In the top brands it is really personal choice of fitting your head shape.
Also which colour lense you looking at? Dark grey or smoke for bright tropical light/open ocean/beaches, copper or amber for low light/cloudy/freshwater. Closest to allround colour is rose or plum.
As backups, the cheap polarised servo sunnies, at least in amber lenses, are not too bad. Same or better than the $60-$90 price point ones in tackle shops.
One thing if using in tropics: be careful of tight fit or snug wrap around styles. They are great for keeping out side and back glare but have a nasty habit of steaming up when you sweat and becoming useless.
What I found weird was the big surf companies only starting to spruik polarised lenses just a few years ago. Don't know why anyone around water would wear sunnies which aren't polarised.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:52 pm

I got the makos.

Not as stylish as the maui jims, serengetis or those italian french pooffy ones Reg name-checked but first grade lenses.

My eyes are coimpletely fcuked from working on fishing boats and pulling bucket bongs, with pterygiums encroaching on both irises.

The Makos are top dollar but you get what you pay for: photochromatic, polarised glass. Orgasm for the eyes: no bull and amazing for sighting bait balls, free swimming pelagics, bottom contours etc etc.
I like amber lenses, they pull most of the longer wavelength light out and leave amazing contrast.

Go the polarized glass at the bare minimum and if you want the top end get the photochromatic lenses.

Polycarbonate sucks dingleberries.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Yeh my bro just had pterygiums removed from both eyes and the surgery sucks dogs balls.He then got an infection in one eye and lost most of his sight in that eye.That's what got me interested in good sunnies.His surgeon commented on how important it is to get good quality sunnies and mentioned how bad many of the surf brand and fashion label sunnies are. My bro started using Costa del Mars a couple of years ago after he already had developed pterygiums.His surgeon tested his sunnies via some sort of UV light test and commented that they were as good as he had ever tested, while many surf brand sunnies continue to fail the light test.

I like bronze lenses as I find em great for sight fishing, and still good all round in sunny and cloudy conditions and for driving.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:54 pm

T'other thing is your new bride (congrats) might appreciate the greater metrosexual styling of the Persols/Serengetis.

Makos' tend to make you look like the kind of guy who stinks of fish and hasn't had a root for ten years.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Fcuken hell, this thread makes the What's Cooking one look like a Black Water recruitment ad.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Fcuken hell, this thread makes the What's Cooking one look like a Black Water recruitment ad.
with u on that

my pilot neighbour said his job was boring as,
and don't u think the windscreen has already cut out out most of the uv, they're in a plane on autopilot what's there to look at

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm

reginald wrote:I get my serengetis from a mate who is a commercial pilot. They get em cheap sort of a sponsorship deal cause they all buy em anyway.

Who you gonna listen to. A bloke that flys a380s or a bong addled bogan wearing shit stained Qld footy shorts hanging onto an esky 8kms offshore as his rotten Fiberglas tub sinks to the bottom?
Actually Regina ... most pilots I know have an over inflated sense of their own self importance ... are tragic followers of fashion ... have a well developed if not fragile ego ... based on one upmanship ... and a penchant for behaving like spoilt wankers.

Therefore ... when looking to purchase eyewear for use in a marine environment ... one would naturally gravitate to people who have some semblance of an idea ... ie ... thems that spends the time in that environ ... stinky old fishmongers included.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.