Good people in the Industry

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Good people in the Industry

Post by pridmore » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:33 pm

good stuff.... 8)

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:05 am

Max Tag in Warrraba Rd off Garden St in Narrabeen just did me a fin plug repair in 3 days so I could take my board away on a trip. Did a good job too, worth a look for your next repair job.
Last edited by Scroty on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Neal Purchase Jr found out I had been given the wrong fins for one of his boards (by shop), contacted me and sent corrrect fins in post. Pretty cool I think.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:08 pm

he wouldnt remember after he sniffed sooo much of it..... :roll:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Shameless Plugs with apologies to Mark P

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:02 pm

saltman wrote:
TrevG wrote:Why have I been thinking about this?
Well, recently I've had two excellent experiences at Beachbeat in Caloundra.
In the first instance I went in looking for a particular type of glue which had been mentioned on here in relation to wetsuit repair. Al (the owner of Beachbeat) was there and when he heard what wanted it for he suggested something totally different, much cheaper and I already had some at home.
Today I went back for a springsuit - always try to buy before I need something like this.
Marcus one of the managers really did me a deal I couldn't refuse. Why? I think what's happening here is the guys seem to recognise the locals and really look after them.
That doesn't always happen in business today.
trev what was thye glue he recomended for the wetty?
Simple tube repair glue. Like Reggie would use if he got a puncture on his 60 klm ride at the 30 klm mark or thereabouts.

You need to make sure everything is dry and clean (rinse out as much salt as possible). Let the glue skim dry (less is better, too), then clamp firmly together. If you have a tear and can't lap the ends over one another it might actually be worth using a tube patch. I haven't tried this, just extrapolating from the original suggestion.

And as for Pridders.............. :twisted: :mrgreen: :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:33 pm

The guys at Jackson's, Caringbah

Just ordered a new custom last weekend. Great guys to deal with and helpful, as they were over a decade ago when i ordered my last couple from them.
Suggested I sell my board privately rather than trade in to get more cash too (2nd hands aren't much good to them anyway I guess).
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:40 pm

I have to say Mark Pridmore is a good bloke in the industry. I was after a new board and was getting a bit confused. I asked him a few questions and he was very understanding and helpful. The only reason i didnt get a board off him was geographical. Maybe one day though.

And another one to Rousa of Rousa Surfboards in Ocean Grove. He shaped my new board and its a cracker and his service was second to none unlike some people down that way.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:44 pm

thanks mate...but it wont be long before the usual suspects have a dig a me here for that one haha...
hope ya ended up with a good board and good to see you got Aussie made too 8)

I met AB today, seemed like a real good bloke too....

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 pm

No worries Mark, just telling it how it is. You can't beat talking to a shaper near or far.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Well i already gave Nick Blair a wrap as a shaper on this thread. He has just moved down from Kirra and will now be based at Mona Vale on the northern beaches. So if you live on the northern beaches I can highly recommend him. The likes of Mick Fanning, Jordy Smith and Dean Morrrison have ridden his boards for good reason. Will probably catch him for a wave at KKs local soon.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm

RichQ shaped my magic Pure shorty, gets in the pocket.

bearhunter

Post by bearhunter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 am

karl from raw surfboards is a champion,easy 2 talk and overall nice guy.

pearceD

Post by pearceD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 pm

I will throw up a nomination for a place that I dont think is a good industry representative at all (opening myself for ridicule here...but this is RealSurf).

The crew from Line Up in Dee Why.

I watched their 'sales team' try and sell 2 of the dodgiest, oldest, yellow, rotting pieces of 'surfboard' for $249 each. One of the things had more holes in it that Gillard's Carbon Tax arguement - luckily the shoppers didnt actually make a purchase but they were bombardered with information about their surf schools/learn to surf classes (which seem pretty unprofessional as well) after they didn't walk out with a new board.

A cracked/shattered front window on the shopfront has been repaired with a quicksilver sticker to hold it together and hasnt been fixed for at least 6 months - probably explains the ridiculously high prices on their 2nd hand sticks.

Ideal location and great opportunity for a surf store to make a name for itself - but to me, it is going nowhere fast...

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 pm

^^^
Yeah, poor old Waynes got some issues there. Those boards out the front are in attrocious condition and ridiculously overpriced. Dunno what he's thinking. Not good for business.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:25 pm

oh yeh, I walk past the shop and think they are give aways to charity those boards...how about the faded pink foamy for 175.....hell of a nice bloke though

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 am

Dick Van Straalen.

I drove up to Burleigh to collect a board.

The board itself is like nothing else I have, and he spent time going through the design, made a different fin for me, threw in a T-shirt, sticker and WAX . Him and his Missus spent time talking to my missus and my youngest grom about the early days up on the Gold Coast, egyptian hieroglyphics. A top bloke, no nonsense and easy to deal with.

rangaman
Grommet

Post by rangaman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 pm

gotta say the old bloke at force 9 in cronulla, i get all my boards from them and hes always helpful, will have a chat about anything and everything and always chucks in free wax when ever i get a repair or a new board

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Mike Psillakis - good surfer/shaper, and no BS (plus he's shaped me a couple of great boards).

Simon Anderson - the number one contributor to the development of modern surfing (via the thruster), and with bugger all reward (no patent pending).