A bit scared of this next swell

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

murrum
Local

Re: A bit scared of this next swell

Post by murrum » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Struggling to find something surfable here today - massive and windy.
Took the dogs down the beach this morning to check the damage. Sh1t washed up everywhere, plastic, logs, dead and alive fish (much to the dogs enjoyment) loads of little black tern-like birds dead among the weed, and an albatross, spreadeagled, right where the track deposits you on the shore. Wings outstretched (2m or more), huge head and beak flopped over to one side and big webbed feet dug into the sand like he was trying to make it up the track to shelter.
At least the tanks are full.
the dreams that stuff was made of

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Those little black birds are short-tailed shearwaters.(mutton birds).

Sure it was an albatross?

What colour was it?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Haven't the Shearwaters pissed off to the Nth hemisphere long ago?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Could be some early arrivals.

Or it might be little wilsons storm petrels.

Be cool to see a photo.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Coupla guys scoring some very clean, sizey ones at the Queensie bombie this morning. Good luck to em'.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Cheers BA...'twas epic out there. I only got 4 or 5 but was the most enjoyable session I've had in ages. I flew solo for a while before Hayden Cox and one of his mates (James?) paddled out on serious equipment. Another fella joined us and the four of us had it too ourselves for a few hours. Ended up pulling the legrope plugging out of my board, which ended my morning.

Prolly have some photos over at Swellnet soon.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Yeah looked pretty epic.....

.....until I saw one of you get nailed by a set. Then it looked downright soil ya wetty type stuff.

Amazing that in a place like Sydney, those that want it, can get big, juicy uncrowded, near perfect waves. Defies belief.

Look forward to the piccies.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:06 pm

2nd Reef wrote:Cheers BA...'twas epic out there. I only got 4 or 5 but was the most enjoyable session I've had in ages. I flew solo for a while before Hayden Cox and one of his mates (James?) paddled out on serious equipment. Another fella joined us and the four of us had it too ourselves for a few hours. Ended up pulling the legrope plugging out of my board, which ended my morning.

Prolly have some photos over at Swellnet soon.
2nd reef, i was sitting in the carpark yesterday near the lagoon trying to figure out how to get out there. I messaged you and ben on the idea of paddling from shelley beach (no reply, you must have had better things to do) but when i got to deadies carpark i figured it would be dark before i could reach the bombie, and with no torches (cracked helmet) decided to check out deadmans.

not sure why people rate fairy bower, thats taking shoulder hopping to the Olympics
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Got your emails Marcus but I couldn't reply to them. They kept bouncing back and I couldn't find your phone number.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:52 pm

marcus wrote: not sure why people rate fairy bower, thats taking shoulder hopping to the Olympics
marcus, if you think that, you haven't seen it working.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Two rescue helicopters over Manly at the moment with searchlights. Backpacker?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Now three helicopters and a police boat.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:13 pm

There was a solo surfer out a Queensie bombie earlier...hope they aren't searching for him.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Sydney radio news at 9pm yesterday said a surfer was missing off Warriewood and they'd called off the search till today.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:33 pm

clay wrote:There was a solo surfer out a Queensie bombie earlier...hope they aren't searching for him.
Nah, he was still there. Cops just pulled what appeared to be a clubby surf ski into their boat. Choppers have now gone.

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:32 pm

After the cops left that guy got a screamer then paddled into the beach then got another one into shore. He was riding an old school gun and looked about 40

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Well somehow got away with that swell without irrational decision making, though it was bloody close.

Wednesday pissed down rain and the swell booted. That was fine, typical. On Thursday the rain started to get to me. The wind was flaring on and offshore, howling at 40-50knots and conditions kept veering close to OK. But Friday had looked like the day from the beginning so I tried to put my mind elsewhere.

Friday opened up with crazy, unbearable irritating rain still owning the atmosphere. Fark! Checked the ocean and the swell was definitely bigger, coming from two directions, one quite SE and one more dead east, I guess the low turning on itself out near NZ. But the wind. Sadistic SE gale! Would it swing? I could see there were rideable crazy looking waves on various bombie reefs off Newport. But everyone I called didn't want to know. Even little brother. I called him at around 2.30pm after yet another edgy, witless dash to the surf check point. My car was overwhelmed with surfboards, all the way from a 6'5" to a 9'6". Tom's voice had the sogginess of a man who'd already let life's commitments get the better of him. "Can't really see any good ones," he muttered. Nonsense! It was 10-15' and bombing out of hand!!

I kept jumping in my car and driving to the beach, extremely agitated. Actually being poisoned by my own adrenaline.

Then the wind clocked SW. It was still pissing down and the tide was dropping. Solid 15' waves were landing on the outer bombie. It looked like beyond maxed out Sunset. Nobody was around. I stood on a fence at the south end, completely spun. The lineup was almost inaccessible, the weather extremely foul and dark, sheets of rain thundering down, the ocean just mental. This was it, the moment where a truly stupid decision coulda been made. Instead I frothed, writhing in anguish at the check point. An older couple came down and started to talk to me about what it was apparently like at Coffs Harbour today. Fcuk, whatever.

I went home and got the dog and went for a run through the rain. By the time we got back on the sand, the wind had swung back SE and the magic had passed. Up the north end of the beach I ran into Andre, one of the guys who I might have persuaded to come out. "I was sitting at home watching it and freaking out!!" he said. "I couldn't get anyone to go out!" Well fcuk eh.

On Saturday, Realsurf's very own Goat came on Radio National and told everyone that the surf was "horrible -- I wouldn't go out anywhere". Yeah it was 10' plus and blowing SW, just absolutely terrible. Crikey surfing has changed over the years eh, once a hairball activity for people struck by a dangerous uncorralled magic, it has become a careful person's sport, upon which the day of the year is just all too much, and you might get sick from the stormwater. I got hold of TC at last and we surfed off the tip with Andre and his brother Chuckie, three and a half hours of super fun solid waves that washed away all that old adrenaline. It felt oddly mellow after what I'd watched the day before. Andre called it "a brother's session" and that's how it felt.

Then today was just easy and sick, clean offshore heavy waves everywhere. It was my birthday! Ha ha ha ha.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Happy 52nd Nick. :wink: