Andy Irons Dies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: Andy Irons Dies

Post by dUg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:10 am

Still a bit stunned... just heard it in the bloody office of all places... from non-surfing folk.

Puts a cloud over the current event, especially heading into hawaii. Can't imagine what his family are going through right now.

Wow...

:(

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 am

Pipe master.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:59 am

Coops@DY wrote:Image

Pipe master.
For his brother

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 pm

tragic news.

want to consider some real medical liability issues? What about the chain of events that led to him leaving hospital in Miami (against doctors' advice, from reports), and going to a hotel instead of hospital when barred from flying in Texas. I'm assuming that wasn't a call made by the hosties...
if ground staff at an airline desk think you're too sick to fly, you must be pretty crook.

I'll leave the rest unsaid, but I think you can see where I'm going with that...

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Can't beleive this has happened. You wonder how it happens to such a fit and young athlete. RIP Andy, one of surfings greatest.

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uwtqRBE4Kk

Andy Irons- Why i surf Clip.....this is the best clip of him in my opinion...so open and candid.
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Unbelievably devasting news. It's a very sad day.

My heart and thoughts go out to his family, particularly his pregnant wife.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Just heard the news, kinda in shock noone said he was that sick...this is crazy.

Man what a loss RiP. Condolences.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Nappy wrote:Just heard the news, kinda in shock noone said he was that sick...this is crazy.

it was mentioned here yesterday, I remember because the spelling was wrong :(
Donweather wrote:Unbelievably devasting news. It's a very sad day.

his brother must be devastated.
Over at ASL the previous tribute to his surfing win written by Nick is special.
Last edited by daryl on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 pm

One of the best backside barrel riders in the world, only a few could take the late drops he could on death pits. A true ledgend and a much nicer guy than ppl think, he was just competitive. This year on tour he showed his true charm......RiP

I actually espected him more than ever this year as he was so humble, deserves all the tributes he gets.

Oh why couldnt it take Luke Stedmen! ok that a little uncalled for but maybe true. :shock:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:55 pm

daryl wrote:
Nappy wrote:Just heard the news, kinda in shock noone said he was that sick...this is crazy.

it was mentioned here yesterday, I remember because the spelling was wrong :(
Donweather wrote:Unbelievably devasting news. It's a very sad day.

his brother must be devastated.
Over at ASL the previous tribute to his surfing win written by Nick is special.

http://www.surfinglife.com.au/forum/vie ... 9&start=15
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Shouldn't the ASP take come responsibility here OR Billabong OR his Manager? Why would they let him travel when he was clearly ill with high fever? I'm sure there are Private Hospitals in Peuto Rico??

Dying in your hotel room alone .... .really heavy! I'm actually pretty cut about this and my heart breaks for Lyndie and her unborn child.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Im with ya, almost seems it was preventable which would be an even bigger tradgey.

Im thinking current event will be cancelled his funeral might be this weekend and I reckon most surfers would want to attend.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:48 pm

There are many, many unanswered questions here and the truth, when it comes out may not be a pretty sight for everyone concerned.

Nonetheless a great champion died alone in a hotel room in Texas and leaves a wife and unborn child behind.
That is a tragedy and leaves alot of people in shock wondering what the hell happened.
Deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

I was lucky enough to interview Andy twice this year and surf with him the evening before his great comeback victory in Tahiti.

He was gracious, humble, stoked, warm and personable.
His surfing was a Dionysian blend of pure emotion and athletic spontaneity. His great performances left deep visceral impressions on those lucky enough to witness them.
In heavy water lefts where a surfers courage and skill were tested to the limit he was first among equals.
His rivalry with Slater produced epic performances, enthralling contests and remains a high water mark for Professional surfing.
His comeback saw a man of great humility and tenderness who aroused tremendous affection and respect from his peers.

I've described Andy Irons in biblical terms several times this year. Looking back these descriptions have an eerie prescience. At times he didn';t really seem of this world.
He seemed insubstantial, ghost-like. A shadow of his former self.

Who know when death first casts it's shadow on the living. Some men seem marked for it at an early age. With others it comes without warning.

Looking back at Andy this year it seems a shadow was upon him. The eerie shambling figure at Snapper, walking up the hill in the rain with bent shoulders and wife following behind at a respectful distance. Even in the throes of triumph in Tahiti Andy seemed somehow disbelieving, as if this were all a dream that would end soon.

He has fallen.
We are all falling.
Sliding along the knife edge of oblivion towards the end of time.

His legacy will remain for the ages. He burned bright. Too bright to be gifted the blessing of longevity.
He was one of the few to capture the imagination of the many. He transcended the mediocre and achieved greatness.
RIP Andy Irons.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:07 pm

“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:09 pm

steve shearer wrote:There are many, many unanswered questions here and the truth, when it comes out may not be a pretty sight for everyone concerned.
yep this may get a little messier unfortunatly.

i do hope his legacy will be that of a great fearless surfer/person that was still quite humble under the surface.
the only guy to really stick it to the greatest surfer/athlete the world hasseen.

rip mate.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:15 pm

steve shearer wrote:His surfing was a Dionysian blend of pure emotion and athletic spontaneity.
Can you imagine the things that he has seen! The inside of the death pits of Teahupo, heaving ledging warping faces as he adjusts his balance and trim sneaking through impossible openings, backdoor crunching barrels from deep inside before popping through the doggy door, Waimea Bay, etc.

All those images are now lost, like tears in the rain. :(
steve shearer wrote:Who knows when death first casts it's shadow on the living.

Looking back at Andy this year it seems a shadow was upon him. The eerie shambling figure at Snapper, walking up the hill in the rain with bent shoulders and wife following behind at a respectful distance. Even in the throes of triumph in Tahiti Andy seemed somehow disbelieving, as if this were all a dream that would end soon.

We are all falling.
Sliding along the knife edge of oblivion towards the end of time.
Maybe it was impending parenthood, that can put a serious face on you.

Deepest condolences to immediate family. No man should have to bury his son. No child should come into this world with their father already gone.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.