Rate your Beach!!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

sunrisesurfer

Rate your Beach!!!

Post by sunrisesurfer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey,

Always been a local sufer at Curly's all my life and never really surf any other beach on the NB :D

Should i stop being so shelted or should i, just stick to the beach. which i know best!!! ''If there is no surf at curly's, there is no surf at all!

Sunny :D

Dingus
Owl status

Re: Rate your Beach!!!

Post by Dingus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Was that spot roughly in front of the surf club area? I remember that section being fairly mean once the surf starts to pick up a bit.

When I was working at Randwick I'd leave a bodyboard in the changerooms because a couple blokes would head down for a quick lunchtime bash. We were there one day and an incoming swell was changing the atmosphere quite quickly. The bigger sets were getting past my comfort zone; I took off on one of these somewhere near the drain outlet at the North end and headed left, the thing started to suck and was looking to close out all the way down the line so I chickened out and straightened out, hoping like fcuk that the speed I had would get me in front of the lip. I beat the lip by a flipper-span and the force of it sent me airborne for what felt like a solid 2 or 3 seconds. Doesn't sound like much but it was an eternity of gratefullness because I didn't eat s**t.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Cronulla
It's got everything from learner waves to slabbing reefs. And if there's no waves you can put your boat in the water on the other side of the station and go fishing in the hacking.

If it wasn't for the crowds i'd give it a 10, so 7 it is.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Maroubra is "SHIT"and all those guys that park on the hill at the nth end are "GAY".

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Gay... yeah of course they are... happy they got a park closer to the water than you did... Wake up earlier in the future. Or move in across the road.
Whingin' C#@T. Rate your beach or F#@K offfffff.....
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 pm

i love my beach

it's a escape from both the n/e devil wind and the hordes of blowins ( which...i must admit...are down on past records...but i can still whinge :lol: )

it's just got a good vibe...people say g'day but don't chat

perfect :idea:

5 boomerangs and half a dingo out ten i rate it

my old local :arrow: had bigger waves...not so perfect....and was a bit wind blowin unless westerly

the locals where nasty protective souls who wouldn't piss on ya if ya was on fire if u hadn't lived there for 40 years :roll:

blowins where few and far between cause the ugly vibe and medicoe waves

6 dingos and roo run over by a road train out ten

( it might not be as good my home now....but it'll always be "my"local :wink: )
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 pm

iggy wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:it's a escape from both the n/e devil wind
you can't be talking A-Bay, surely??
escape from NE winds??
partial side-shore protection in the very northern corner at best..
or have you moved to Kings Beach now??
jesus, you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere north of treachery that's an 'escape' from NE winds, let alone finding it in QLD..

sunny shine iggys

up in the corner...it's not much

but i really like it :wink: :lol:

plus it's dog friendly...that counts for alot with me :!:

and the rip against the rocks...hmmm...easy way out no duckdiving...i'm sooooo lazy :P
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 pm

^^^Does it kinda sound like Barramundi? :D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:34 am

bumfluff wrote:^^^Does it kinda sound like Barramundi? :D
No. He's named it above. Read carefully.
He's pretty right about it. Often gets some good pics in th epaper for "Wave of the Day" when the southern end is flat.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 am

Deadman's. I love it to bits. Most days I don't see another human. It's just a man, his thoughts and his dog.

And a beaming erection
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:04 pm

bronte - 2
tama - 3.5

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:31 pm

TrevG wrote:
bumfluff wrote:^^^Does it kinda sound like Barramundi? :D
No. He's named it above. Read carefully.
He's pretty right about it. Often gets some good pics in th epaper for "Wave of the Day" when the southern end is flat.
Yep, I know which one...

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:57 pm

I love Longy, for a Sydney beach being able to sit out the back and look north towards the headland at the golf course you could be anywhere. It doesn't have the feel of a city beach.Some of the old guys on mals are pretty cool. Takes the worry of growing old away when you watch 60plus year olds out catching waves and having a laugh.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Gunnamatta

Beach break that features shifting sand bars that break left and right and often change in the space of hours. Very powerful rips, gets big swells, wide variety of waves, can get quite bowly on low tide, bit fat and full on the high tide. Not for the feint hearted when it's 6 foot and over as there is some serious energy in the waves - occasionally I've been swept several hundred metres down the beach due to the currents and have seen some people cop some bad injuries. Perfect when the wind is blowing from the NE, swell is SW and it's mid to high tide. Doesn't hold much bigger than this i.e. closeout city. 9 for consistency, quality wise I'd rate it a 7 by Mornington Peninsula standards.

Other favourite break is Big Left at Flinders. Just a big long left-hander (you can go right though) that has rides that go for 300 metres on a good day. Can hold over 6 foot but the long paddle out (500 metres) doesn't make it worth the hassle. Pretty much a longboard wave. Best on Low to mid Tides. If the tide is high you're better off going to Cyrils. Needs a good SW swell and light NW winds. Big Left is about a 6 for consistency and a 6 for quality

Had maybe one or two disagreements with other surfers in the last 10 years (from memory). Most people down my way are pretty relaxed, always plenty of waves, crowds are really only a worry in the summer but it's mostly the sea-changers and Melbourne blow-ins re: unfit, fat fcuks that don't last long in the water because you need to be able to paddle well - especially at Gunnamatta
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Newport is fcuken super sick.

Especially if you are an only partly skilled SUPper. This beach is for you! Head out the south end where you can be alone with the wobbegongs. It's magic.

Or bring your High Performance Surfboard with the special fins etc and charge out the Peak, where you can really get into your aerials and your 270 degree top turns. This is one place where nobody will kick you out of the water, and there's set waves for all!

Ride with famous local surfers like two time world champion Tom Carroll -- he's the one who comes up to your waist -- or 53-year-old rebel without a cause, Derek Hynd, whom you will recognise by his complete lack of fins.

Better still I can guarantee sunrisesurfer will not be in any of Newport's dazzling array of lineups.

I'm giving it a 9/10.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:33 pm

iggy wrote:
purple pyramids wrote:bronte - 2
tama - 3.5
overcalling it, and where does Maccas rate?
1? :lol:
you're right. that's what i was thinking this afternoon. the wind didn't help much.
i was trying to keep maccas a secret.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Newport is fcuken super sick.

Especially if you are an only partly skilled SUPper. This beach is for you! Head out the south end where you can be alone with the wobbegongs. It's magic.

Or bring your High Performance Surfboard with the special fins etc and charge out the Peak, where you can really get into your aerials and your 270 degree top turns. This is one place where nobody will kick you out of the water, and there's set waves for all!

Ride with famous local surfers like two time world champion Tom Carroll -- he's the one who comes up to your waist -- or 53-year-old rebel without a cause, Derek Hynd, whom you will recognise by his complete lack of fins.

Better still I can guarantee sunrisesurfer will not be in any of Newport's dazzling array of lineups.

I'm giving it a 9/10.
:lol:

You sound like you're about to offer me six free steak knives if I paddle out NOW!
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:17 pm

What's a beach?