Tama 20 Nov 2008 [PIX]

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Ta very much for those - a noice coupla days to remember. :D

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:30 pm

What time were they taken? I was out there from 10 till 12.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:04 pm

I think i surfed Stanwell on the 14th.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:51 pm

tomtom wrote:Nice pics, highly likely that 22 is our resident troll, buff_brad
I've got a better arse than that guy thank-you very much.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:58 pm

That last frame is good nige. Finally we get a little swell, eh?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 am

23 for me

Love surfing in the rain.

chopescahrger
regular

Post by chopescahrger » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:05 pm

i saw u shooting brah
was about 530 6
with your little pole thingy
it was pretty avg
actually
bit too fatt
did u see the bbers on the rock next to where u were shooting
me

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:27 pm

lessormore wrote:What time were they taken? I was out there from 10 till 12.
So was I LOM, or more accurately just a couple of hundred yards or so down off Bronte north end.

Nice conditions.

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:20 pm

salty wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:That last frame is good nige. Finally we get a little swell, eh?
Cheers Coops. Was the first time I actually wanted a better camera :shock: My settings were maxed out trying to get enough light in the late arvo and overcast/rain
great shots of nice waves. always good to know what you missed.

with a digital camera, to get more light, do you get a faster lens as you would with an analogue camera, or is it in the receptors or whatever in the body of the camera?

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Salty, correct :wink:

But.....not a better camera, a BETTER lens is what you needed. F2.8 for low light. 8)

Even with my camera, I wouldn't be shooting at ISO1600, too much noise. :oops:

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:35 pm

Butts wrote:Salty, correct :wink:

But.....not a better camera, a BETTER lens is what you needed. F2.8 for low light. 8)

Even with my camera, I wouldn't be shooting at ISO1600, too much noise. :oops:
More tips for shooting in those low light, overcast, 'wet' days if you don't have an optimum setup for the conditions:
  • - Instead of trying to shoot crisp, sharp action pics, try capturing 'motion blurs' by panning your camera with a slower shutter speed.
    - Shoot in colour but output your post-RAW images in monotone/black and white. Play with your levels/curves and push the contrast.

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:26 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:- Instead of trying to shoot crisp, sharp action pics, try capturing 'motion blurs' by panning your camera with a slower shutter speed.
- Shoot in colour but output your post-RAW images in monotone/black and white. Play with your levels/curves and push the contrast.
[/list]
2 EXCELLENT pieces of wisdom there RBP. 8)
The latter is generally my choice. :oops:

Sometimes Salty, you just can't/don't shoot OR you become versatile and try something different.
Shoot for the conditions. :wink:

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:51 pm

salty wrote:Hmmm... I don't shoot in RAW. Should I be?

RBP, what's the benefit of shooting in colour if you're just going to convert it to B&W in Photoshop? Does shooting in colour give the image more info (wider gamut) and thus provide a better greyscale gamut when converting to B&W or, say, even duotone?

Cheers!
If your camera can shoot RAW and you intend to archive the images that you shoot (and I'm sure you will), I would say shoot RAW. Without going into too much detail, getting to technical and explaining things incorrectly; RAW files are a good thing because they contain the most data as a 'source' file.

As a 'source' file, you should try to capture it with the most information possible. The simple explanation for always shooting in colour is for the simple reason that you may want to use that RAW file one day as a colour image. Shooting in B&W/duotone etc. cancels that option automatically. Colour to B&W is easy but B&W to colour is impossible (though I could be wrong depending on how your camera renders B&W).

The hidden truth about 99% of images that you see published is that there has been some form of post-processing involved . This includes photos from 'back in the day' that were shot with film (you can even tweak polaroids if you know what you're doing). Many of the Photoshop editing tools are named to mimic darkroom techniques. Smoke and mirrors? maybe :wink:

The advantage of digital is that you can make the tweaks a lot quicker without wasting as much $$$ during post-processing. A good photographer knows how to shoot photos in a such away that minimises the time between the 'click' and the published image. :idea:

Note: I'm not an accomplished photographer by any means and I could have made some wrong calls. But as a Graphic Designer 1st and a Photographer 2nd, this is the way I see it... especially applicable in the commercial world...

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Butts wrote: Sometimes Salty, you just can't/don't shoot OR you become versatile and try something different.
Shoot for the conditions. :wink:
This is so true. I think that there is a lot of surf photography out there that looks the same. Sure, there's a time and place to capture a contest moment or a critical instance that needs to be remembered...

But with many pro surf photographers shooting with similar equipment from the same locations, originality may be on the wane in this genre. I think photo editors in a lot of surf mags need the sponsors logos so that pushes a certain style as well (and pro surf photogs need to eat too so they shoot accordingly). And don't even get me started on the Art Directors at some of these mags...

Being an amateur photographer is a perfect platform for you to shoot surf pics your way. Don't be scared to create your own style. Stand in different spots, shoot with different lenses, focus on different things, capture different moments...

Butts, that's why I rate a lot of your pics because you throw a lot of different ones in the mix. I think all pro surf photographers should take a break and start taking pics in the Amazon or Tokyo for a month. The mags that hit the stands a month after they get back would then be filled with pics so rad and inspired that we won't be able to look at surf photography in the same way ever again.

ferdy
Grommet

Post by ferdy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:14 pm

^^
What rbp said..

Surf mags are getting very very boring and cliched..
I read the latest one at the library to get a feel of what was "current".
It was like having a cup of chamomile tea.