Globe Fiji Pro 2008 ASP event

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dubbwah
Grommet

Globe Fiji Pro 2008 ASP event

Post by Dubbwah » Sat May 24, 2008 8:42 pm

check the forcast,definately no lay day!

http://www.globeprofiji.com/

The 2008 Globe Pro Fiji will get underway off the islands of Tavarua and Namotu tomorrow morning (Sunday in Fiji) at Restaurants in conditions that look to be epic and with a swell that's the best to hit the break in two years.

With the world famous Restaurant's break in front of the Tavarua resort heating up just as all the surfers are arriving, the stage is set for a flying start.

Globe event director, Michael Marckx, said "we're set for an 8am (1pm PST) start right off the bat in what appear to be incredible conditions. If things go as planned the return of "the sickest event on the planet" could once again become The dream event on the ASP Tour.

"With current world champion Mick Fanning and eight times world champion Kelly Slater and dual Fijian champion Damien Hobgood all here today for the opening ceremony, we are set for a classic event."

WAVEWATCH.COM FORECAST: Lots of surf on the way for Sunday through Tuesday.
Sunday: S olid amounts of SW swell will be in the water for the start of the contest. Surf at Cloudbreak will be well overhead to double overhead, with the largest sets showing in the afternoon hours. As the swell continues to build we'll see surf larger than double overhead late. Winds will be S to SW 5 to 15 kt...becoming S to SSE in the afternoon/evening.

Monday: Very large SW groundswell will be impacting Southern Fiji on

Monday. Cloudbreak will continue to be well overhead to double overhead, and Restaurants will be a bit smaller than that. Top deep water breaks see set waves at or above triple overhead around 15 to 20 feet on the faces...clean up sets possibly larger. Winds SSE early 5 to 15 kt...trending b ack to normal trades SE 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon/evening.

Tuesday: SW swell will be dropping, but maintaining double overhead plus surf at Cloudbreak. Top clean up sets will still be capable of reaching triple overhead early. Trade winds will hold...SE 14 to 17 kt.

Wednesday: Surf is expected to drop further into Wednesday. There will still be head high to 3 to 4 ft overhead+ sets at Cloudbreak, but the swell will be fading. Moderate trade winds continue.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Sun May 25, 2008 7:29 am

:? if a shortboard surf comp doesn't belong in "short boarders only" i wonder what does :?:

Anyways it's on and the video link is:

http://globe.edgeboss.net/wmedia-live/g ... 080505.asx

which plays some event advertising for me, well it's back to the same old, same old after the chopes goodness :(
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sun May 25, 2008 7:36 am

Word from the contest site is that there are a few teething issues with the webcast - they hope to have it up and running by Round 6.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Sun May 25, 2008 7:49 am

Yeah it is cactus for me. All I am getting is the promo ad. I cant believe Ace lost to the Saffas! and Munro didnt even get a score! whats going on Aussies??

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Sun May 25, 2008 8:43 am

Kfunked me dead theere hopeless!!!!!! Was keen to watch so i got up relitivily early on the only day I could sleep in. Weird thing was i was Tossing and turning having a weird dream that webcast stuffed up and I wake up to find that it is!!!! grrrr

Globe have been amping this webcast, u'd thing they'd give it a 10 min dummy run the day before, again hopeless!!!!!!

Dubbwah
Grommet

Post by Dubbwah » Sun May 25, 2008 8:54 am

Guys,I think you'll find that the webcast/event has'nt even started yet.I'm still waiting on a wct text message that gets sent during every event.
Also I think it says 1pm start :oops:

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Sun May 25, 2008 8:57 am

Dubbwah wrote:Guys,I think you'll find that the webcast/event has'nt even started yet.I'm still waiting on a wct text message that gets sent during every event.
Also I think it says 1pm start :oops:
Na mate, some results are already in! I would asume there up to about HT 5 now. Plus thats 1pm PST (usa time) 8am fijian

Dubbwah
Grommet

Post by Dubbwah » Sun May 25, 2008 9:04 am

sorry nappy,you are right,got the text since :oops:
amped to watch 6ft restaraunts :P

Weagle
Grommet

Post by Weagle » Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 am

they got something up now but its pretty shit, camera mans shakin all over the place

Dubbwah
Grommet

Post by Dubbwah » Sun May 25, 2008 9:07 am

cameraman must have had a big night.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Sun May 25, 2008 9:10 am

ya it working, looks pretty breezey. Got vision but no sound. Get ready for a lack of bandwidth as every body connects. Already starting to freeze.

blakey commetating ,,,fk he gets around eh? Not bad work if ya can get it.

Ok time for more whinging!! 400k to fast for high chews thru the bandwidth and low not working, im only on 1.5m dsl.

Weagle
Grommet

Post by Weagle » Sun May 25, 2008 9:42 am

wont stop f*kin freezing :evil:

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Sun May 25, 2008 9:45 am

Weagle wrote:wont stop f*kin freezing :evil:
Me to its trying to pump out 500k which i cant handle. (and which will chew thru your quota if not carefull)

The WMP link wont work for me, get the WMP cant acess this file error. getting over itr already, surf aint 6 ft anyway looks 3-4 and inco.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Sun May 25, 2008 10:18 am

lol this is an exersice in frustration, ive seen like 3 waves. I think i saw the very end of a 6fter just as someone kicked out :roll: Im hearing a 10 being touted but got buckles of seeing it.

Thought it be easier to broadcast from Tavarua considering Cloudbreak is pretty much an Atol.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Sun May 25, 2008 11:30 am

UNFCKNBLVBLE

:evil:

I can't even connect to anything beyond the event home page.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun May 25, 2008 11:51 am

Salty, it's not the ASP's doing.

Although the ASP technically owns the rights to webcast, it lets 'em go to the franchise holder (in this case Globe). Mainly 'cause running a webcast for profit is massively beyond the ASP's abilities.

Thus, Globe is responsible for this 'cast, as Billabong was for Chopes, Rip Curl was for Bells etc etc.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sun May 25, 2008 11:52 am

Slater got 19.73 heat score!!!!

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Sun May 25, 2008 11:52 am

To be fair to globe I think its wetsands servers not handling the load, rather than the actual cast not working.
Gee's they should do some research tho, if wetsand wernt up for the job they shouldnt of hired them as Globe are getting bashed in all the US surf forums, not good PR.