Question about linking moves

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Question about linking moves

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:27 am

when i surf, i tend not to link my moves very well, i prefer to put all my effort into one big move.
It might just be the current waves we are having, but im not sure.

I have found lately that i dont have enough speed coming out of the first manouvre to do a second. If i do, the second is generally pretty gay anyway, with less power etc.

In oct, in a comp i was in, in theh finals i had 3 much better surfers than me (one who did a kerrupt flip {landed on his stomach} in the 1 foot surf), and as i slowy sat through my annilation, i noticed how many more turns they were fitting in. I was struggling to fit in one move because of how shit the surf was, and these guys were getting 2-3 in (this in 1 foot closeouts).

It even happens in bigger surf...id rather put my effort into 2-3 big turns or whatever whereas they would be doing 5....

whats wrong?
:? :lol:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:53 am

1. keep practising obviously
2. try making your first turn more of a check fade and less of a hack. keep it high on the face so you can maintain exit speed (floaters are ok too). start small making sure you link it with a 2nd better turn. what this will teach you is balance coming out of a move. as you gain confidence, put more into your first turn.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:58 am

oh, and remember that once you finish a manoeuvre at the bottom of a wave without speed, you're going to have to pump back up the face and do another bottom turn before having enough speed for another move.

as you improve you'll figure out how to maintain speed through most moves, or finish/release earlier so that you have a little face left for a bottom turn.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:14 am

Video yourself, keep watching DVDs.
Shore dump = floater to finish for me :lol: Yet to knacker myself

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:00 am

gumby you've come across a common stumbling block for developing young surfers. You've got all focused on the move -- it might be a good idea to refocus some of that attention on the wave.

Moves and linking moves can't really be a goal in itself, more of an outcome of effective use of a wave's speed lines.

Try and get yourself a little singly -- single fins don't develop excess speed like multifins, to ride 'em effectively requires you to take simpler lines focused on fall line speed instead of drive.

Surf the singly and work to its strengths -- correct positioning and a fairly light touch in turns -- keeping your mind on finishing the wave every time.

Hop back on your little three fin and be amazed at how many more opportunities suddenly present themselves.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Hop back on your little three fin and be amazed at how many more opportunities suddenly present themselves.
And go and get the Nick’s 2nd edition or drop hints to the family that it would be a good xmas pressie, well that or a single fin. :wink: Haven’t seen the first but sure these gems would be well covered.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:gumby you've come across a common stumbling block for developing young surfers. You've got all focused on the move -- it might be a good idea to refocus some of that attention on the wave.

Moves and linking moves can't really be a goal in itself, more of an outcome of effective use of a wave's speed lines.

Try and get yourself a little singly -- single fins don't develop excess speed like multifins, to ride 'em effectively requires you to take simpler lines focused on fall line speed instead of drive.

Surf the singly and work to its strengths -- correct positioning and a fairly light touch in turns -- keeping your mind on finishing the wave every time.

Hop back on your little three fin and be amazed at how many more opportunities suddenly present themselves.
actually you make a great point there everytime i ride my single fin everything seems to work.
might jump on it tomorow
thanks everyone

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:54 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Hop back on your little three fin and be amazed at how many more opportunities suddenly present themselves.
And go and get the Nick’s 2nd edition or drop hints to the family that it would be a good xmas pressie, well that or a single fin. :wink: Haven’t seen the first but sure these gems would be well covered.
i think im pushing it asking for a double boardbag :lol: (that way my mate has NO excuse not to bring his lovely pintail 6'3 "gun".) :P

i have the first edition ill flick thru it tomors!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:45 pm

single fins.....single fins

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:09 am

Shaunm wrote:Video yourself,
good advice ...

back in the olden days I was fortunate enough to have a surf coach who was also on the coaching crew of a famous old Manly goofy footer (1988 I believe was his big year , I'm sure NC will correct me or something), anyways he was the video guy on the coaching crew of the champ, and was coaching a few blokes on the side as well ....

I had the same issue of linking moves , in that I could do the big move but then there was a gap between the next .... the coach started videoing me (with his giant camera back then that resembled a TV studio camera) and identified that I was hesitating not only between moves but sometimes even during moves .... sometimes in larger waves I would pull up towards the lip but seem to hesitate while deciding what I was going to do ....
also at that time I was riding Hot Buttered (not the most pleasent experience) but DY legend Russell Lewis was also with them and he sat me down one day to watch these old surf video's (pre Mark Richards sort of era) and I was quite amazed at how those guys were surfing ... it wasn't radical in todays standards of course but the main thing I noticed was the continuous movement of their boards .... even on their take-offs they would do a number of small turns before the actual bottom turn .... he got me to do a couple of key things to correct my hesitation between moves ...

Treat each wave as if I'd taken off too deep and after each move do the same .... this got me to get up high and 'pump' the board for extra speed (like wanto said) which created constant movement, which is visually good, and regardless of being in the optimum position or not, it provided speed to make a move look better ...
the other thing was to visualise in your head the moves you were going to do like a plan and once on your wave working through the set of moves ....this may sound tricky as the wave will not always do what you want it to of course, but if you work at it and concentrate it can be achieved ... surfing is naturally more about taking the opportunity that the wave gives you but when you turn that around and try to achieve a plan on a wave that is not a constant it teaches you a different dimension and pushes you to keep your board moving ... in very simple terms think about the last wave of your session, you plan to ride it as far as possible, get as much out of it as possible so you finish on a good note and not fall off ... that's a plan ...

Now these two things I talked (at length) about were methods for achieving smoother linked moves, maintenance of speed and continuous movement for visual appeal, but once it all falls into place you need to take the next step up (whatever that may be) ....

Many, many years later and of course surfing strictly for fun, I still actually approach surfing with those methods in mind as it helps get the most out of ordinary waves and after last winter I can say it helps put you in control of larger waves ....

Hope this helps ....

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:31 am

nice words ^

the other thing i thought about was many people see a section too early and aim for it single-mindedly wasting half the wave in the process.. whack a half top turn in there along the way and often you'll gain speed out of it and come into the section at a better angle and with more speed.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:01 pm

thanks for al the advice!
i tend to see my section and just try to gain heaps of speed until i do it.
im fimlming ths weekend so the results will soon be apparent.

i wanna try a new move too.

bradad

Post by bradad » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:40 pm

surfin39 wrote: the other thing was to visualise in your head the moves you were going to do like a plan and once on your wave working through the set of moves ....this may sound tricky as the wave will not always do what you want it to of course, but if you work at it and concentrate it can be achieved ...
Think too hard and you'll blow it.
Don't think about the board under you, just focus on where you want to be on the wave and get yourself there.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:27 am

bradad wrote:
surfin39 wrote: the other thing was to visualise in your head the moves you were going to do like a plan and once on your wave working through the set of moves ....this may sound tricky as the wave will not always do what you want it to of course, but if you work at it and concentrate it can be achieved ...
Think too hard and you'll blow it.
Don't think about the board under you, just focus on where you want to be on the wave and get yourself there.
In a contest situation you need to produce the right moves to achieve points ... if you don't think about what moves you need to pull off you won't achieve them .... even if you are just practising you aren't going to develop contest skills unless you think about what you need to achieve and how you can improve your series of moves on a particular wave ....