Roof racks for surf boards

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:33 am

Ive got fixed racks on my car, bolted to the roof. got em at roof rack city at artarmon (gone now, I think they are near the intersection of lane cove road and pacific highway at Pymble), these guys are really professional, my fixed racks were installed in about 20 minutes flat. I'd suggest Rhino brand, they are as good if not better than Rola and Thule but they will be cheaper in almost every instance. Fixed racks also have about 30% greater load rating as well.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:03 pm

^^^^Yeah they look like the g.o.
here's the link again
http://www.roofrackcity.com.au/site/FAQ.asp

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:27 pm

Zaffa wrote:you dont actually need soft racks - an old blanket to prevent rubbing and a set of regular straps work just fine. cost $10
Sorry, but I honestly think this is a poor idea, unless you intend to do no more than cruise around at about 40kmh.

I'm sure you could lash your boards down so tightly that the straps would hold at higher speed, but I wouldn't do it with any of mine.

For the sake of 80 bucks or so, you could save yourself having to walk back down the freeway to pick up the remnants of thousands of dollars worth of your prize polyester.

SMW1

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:34 pm

I had the Ocean Earth roof rack straps. Complete crap, last only 6 months.

I only ever go surfing on my own so a Commodore easily swallows a board.

But should the need arise I'll be buying proper bolt on roof racks next time.

Zaffa
regular

Post by Zaffa » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:44 pm

smw1 wrote:
Zaffa wrote:you dont actually need soft racks - an old blanket to prevent rubbing and a set of regular straps work just fine. cost $10
Sorry, but I honestly think this is a poor idea, unless you intend to do no more than cruise around at about 40kmh.

I'm sure you could lash your boards down so tightly that the straps would hold at higher speed, but I wouldn't do it with any of mine.

For the sake of 80 bucks or so, you could save yourself having to walk back down the freeway to pick up the remnants of thousands of dollars worth of your prize polyester.

SMW1
well I done it plenty of times cape town to j-bay hitting speeds well over 120 kays. it works just fine

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:05 pm

Zaffa wrote:
smw1 wrote:

SMW1
well I done it plenty of times cape town to j-bay hitting speeds well over 120 kays. it works just fine

Well good for you champ. :roll:

Zaffa
regular

Post by Zaffa » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:26 pm

BA wrote:
Zaffa wrote:
smw1 wrote:

SMW1

Well good for you champ. :roll:
hmmm yeah that did sound a bit 'look at me'...... :oops:

squidly
Grommet

Post by squidly » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:55 pm

FCS makes a really good 4 board soft roof rack. I have a pair that's seen the roof of many rental cars and it's still in great condition.

I've heard the Ocean Earth ones aren't as good.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:47 pm

Ive found the best system for travelling is something like Thule tie downs.
You can fit comfortably 10 boards plus on a roof providing it is long enough. Its small enough to compress and fit in your pocket.
To apply ...open doors place tie down all the way through car and over boards and pull tight. Will never come off and great for quick third world taxi airport getaways. Available at hardware stores. Just dont buy the ones in $2 shops unless you want to claim insurance legitimately.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:12 pm

squidly wrote:FCS makes a really good 4 board soft roof rack. I have a pair that's seen the roof of many rental cars and it's still in great condition.

I've heard the Ocean Earth ones aren't as good.
I use the FCS ones as well. Once you figure them out, they work really well. I toured the Philippines last year with 4 boards on the roof using them. No problems whatsoever.