It's all about the feeling

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:14 pm

grazza wrote: Like it or not, we don't exist in a vacuum and if you're surfing with other people (or like me, thousands of other people) choice of craft is a political act. It's a statement about power and possession, and it has implications for the way the line up works and every person's surfing experience, not just yours. I'd quite like to have a mal to ride in certain conditions, and did for a while, but I gave it up because, well, it changes you and pisses off everyone around you. That's why this topic, boring as it is, has legs.
This is veering way to close to sociology 101...Id say surfing in a populated arena tricks you into thinking about surfing too much...
For such an individualistic sport - its interesting how much navel gazing and concern about what others think goes on - or maybe its not!

It seems fairly straightforward - you get something to aid your flotation, you swim/paddle out the back then you catch some waves, afterwards you go to home/pub/bakery/work! repeat.
the dreams that stuff was made of

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:34 pm

oldman wrote: Not sure about your starting position. Philosophically it is easy to believe that no-one is on the same trip as me, regardless of what board they ride. It is possible the seeming connections between us are completely illusory. We assume common ideas, experiences etc, and they probably are, but perhaps they aren't.
I’m with him (I think, therefore I am)

Now let’s get this right Bertolli, what your saying is, irrespective of the craft of choice you which reach the same level of enjoyment/satisfaction?

Nah, sorry don’t agree. Optimally, I will CHOOSE a specific board to ride to a degree of satisfaction in MY mind. When, where and how that level of satisfaction is attained is entirely personal. If I can’t ride said craft I may still have fun on something else, but it won’t be to the same degree.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:46 pm

smnmntl wrote:I don't know about your analysis of Marshall McLuhan there Nick. "The medium is the message" may not apply to all spheres of activity. For example when it comes to surfing, the following applies:

MEDIUM: boogie board

MESSAGE: "I have basic motor dysfunction which prevents me from standing up to surf, in addition to anger management problems and a probable chromosomal abnormality"

Quite different, you see.
Now you're just making FUN of this WHOLE THREAD, you BASTARD.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:47 pm

smnmntl wrote:I don't know about your analysis of Marshall McLuhan there Nick. "The medium is the message" may not apply to all spheres of activity. For example when it comes to surfing, the following applies:

MEDIUM: boogie board

MESSAGE: "I have basic motor dysfunction which prevents me from standing up to surf, in addition to anger management problems and a probable chromosomal abnormality"

Quite different, you see.
MMMMMWWWWWAHAhahaahahahahaahahahahahaaaaaaa....

hahahaa theres coffee all over my monitor and keyboard!!

Thats Gold!

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:55 pm

Yeah i think that irrespective of the craft of choice you will reach a different level of enjoyment/satisfaction which is conditioned from experience and personal preference.

Say you like mellow groovy stuff. Then a Mal rider will get a higher level of enjoyment in those conditions than a Bodyboarder. Then you have a Bodyboarder, which will be conditioned to ride deeper and heavier waves and enjoy aerial manouvers more.

The enjoyment and satisfaction comes with developing a higher skill level with the craft you choose and the conditions that exemplify the craft you use.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:24 pm

I recently spent a weekend on magnetic island, and whilst there I discovered the joys of riding a 50cc scooter around like a madman and now I bloody want one.

Now will the motorcycle community laugh at me and call me a wuss and too scared to ride a real bike? Who gives a ****. I had more fun on that little thing burning around at it's 59.8km/h top speed, getting yelled at by other motorists (while correctly observing all road rules 8) ) than I have on a motorbike. Why? novelty factor mainly sure, but the thing is I had _fun_ and when I get meself one of those bad boys, with a little more power of course, I won't give a toss what anyone else says. If someone is going to give you shit they either need to feel better and have some ego issues, or are just taking the piss. Why should you care unless you got your own ego issues.

Let it go damn it.

Benvolio

Post by Benvolio » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:40 pm

as wavemagnet (who puts it all much better than me) noticed - I never even hinted that riding different surfcraft felt the same. my point was "matey"... that if riding a particular kind if craft gets you to that indecipherable feeling - so be it.

the point about the quiver was that i've glimpsed why people ride/use certain surfcraft and that's given me a greater appreciation for their experience in and with the ocean.

so i guess to clarify things:

- yes the experience of riding different surfcraft is fundamentally different
- yes i agree certain people gravitate to certain types of craft/waves (for whatever reason - as "smnmntl" pointed out)
- yes i agree that different surfcraft will lead to different cultural perspectives
- yes (as suggested by the flowers example) I think sensory experience varies from person to person.

can you guys agree that regardless of the craft people ride, they're all trying to create and recreate the "experience" they've come to love in the ocean?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:45 pm

Dae wrote: Now will the motorcycle community laugh at me and call me a wuss and too scared to ride a real bike? Who gives a ****. I had more fun on that little thing burning around at it's 59.8km/h top speed
:lol: The old "ride-on" does almost 80 kph down the hill ................. :wink:

And take's about 150m to stop ................ :shock: :lol:

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:47 pm

Johnno wrote:
Dae wrote: Now will the motorcycle community laugh at me and call me a wuss and too scared to ride a real bike? Who gives a ****. I had more fun on that little thing burning around at it's 59.8km/h top speed
:lol: The old "ride-on" does almost 80 kph down the hill ................. :wink:

Reckon I was doing 90 down the hills, maybe we need a race-off.......

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:06 pm

Dae wrote:Reckon I was doing 90 down the hills, maybe we need a race-off.......
Your on ........................ :lol:

Now about the fence ..................... :lol:

I'll tell you about that when to get to the bottom of the hill ............. :wink: :lol:

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:29 pm

I've had sessions on my son's 5ft foamy, smashed the shorey on my daughters biscuit, styled on the father in laws mal and even paddled across the deep stuff on a clubbie ski, but nuthin gives me a greater rush than tuckin in on a short board. I feel for the surfaholic's who will never experience it.

I'm happy to share the line-up with anything that floats (chocolate cigars not included) as long as the party is happy and the guest's arn't makin a complete fool of themselves.

The problem is that some people/wanker's become so completely immersed in "their moment" that they forget about the world around them.

Leave your jet skis at home, paddle in and make people notice.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:24 pm

dinosaur wrote:
Johnno wrote:

So you got one of those pensioner buggies ey johnno. does it have a little flag on the back?
He's also got oldtimers disease too, he had one good wave back in '78 and relives it every day, that's why there's always perfect, uncrowded waves up there huh Johnno..... :wink:

wavemagnet
regular

Re: It's all about the feeling

Post by wavemagnet » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
I am challenging his point of view, magnet, not being objectionable.

And I say not that it "should" or "shouldn't" matter -- I think it absolutely, clearly, provably DOES.

To say it "shouldn't", sorry! Not thinking! Not observing! Avoiding issue with platitude!
Um, given that his/our (subjective) point of view is that it should not matter, and not that it DOESN'T (in some sort of objective sense) matter, then no you're not really challenging him/us Nick... unless your grasp of syntax is much poorer than I gave you credit for*

I fear that deep down you really believe that it should matter (not based on these comments alone)... maybe you're just not down with the nu skool flava?? :lol:

BUT, if the issue is that it DOES matter (to the wider surfing community, for want of a better term), the question should probably be WHY?

Because humans (esp. males?) have a disturbing tendency to emphasise difference over commonality, mostly to make themselves feel superior to other humans (cf. smnmntl)
Because we are creatures of habit (to the point of stupidity, i.e. smoking)
Because we fear change
Because surfers of any brand are often too damn proud to risk looking foolish havin some fun on an alt surfcraft on which they are less proficient(unless maybe all their mates decide to do it together - you know, just to take the piss out of those stupid ....ers)
Because the surf mags say it does** :wink:

Anyway these are just my suspicions, someone who has actually thought about this stuff would probably have a better idea...

*Damn that was cheeky!
**As above
Last edited by wavemagnet on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: It's all about the feeling

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:20 pm

wavemagnet wrote:Um, given that his/our (subjective) point of view is that it should not matter, and not that it DOESN'T (in some sort of objective sense) matter, then no you're not really challenging him/us Nick... unless your grasp of syntax is much poorer than I gave you credit for*

I fear that deep down you really believe that it should matter (not based on these comments alone)... maybe you're just not down with the nu skool flava?? :lol:

BUT, if the issue is that it DOES matter (to the wider surfing community, for want of a better term), the question should probably be WHY?

Because humans (esp. males?) have a disturbing tendency to emphasise difference over commonality, mostly to make themselves feel superior to other humans (cf. smnmntl)
Because we are creatures of habit (to the point of stupidity, i.e. smoking)
Because we fear change
Because surfers of any brand are often too damn proud to risk looking foolish havin some fun on an alt surfcraft on which they are less proficient(unless maybe all their mates decide to do it together - you know, just to take the piss out of those stupid ....ers)
Because the surf mags say it does** :wink:

Anyway these are just my suspicions, someone who has actually thought about this stuff would probably have a better idea...

*Damn that was cheeky!
**As above

You're just trying to wriggle out from under this one buddy.

Once again, it's not about "should" or "shouldn't".

The use of different craft matters not because of some airy fairy guesswork about human behaviour, motives etc but because the Craft Themselves, through their quite different characteristics, bring about entirely different surfriding feelings and experiences.

If you persist with one form, it'll rub off on you in specific ways that may indeed cause you to adopt a different view of things watery than the view taken by someone who persists with another form.

It might be a better and more rewarding path for the thinking surfer to observe and consider the differences, than to simply wish they didn't or "shouldn't" exist.

It doesn't imply any bigotry at all! Indeed, observing the bogger-vs-whoever bigotry with some wry amusement while managing to separate it from the deeper idea is kinda part of the process of thinking clearly about this.

The "Can't we all just get along?" response is just a cop-out. As is the "satori" version. We're all in pursuit of the same thing, Benvolio? How the heck do you know? Asked everyone? Just guessing?

Benvolio

Post by Benvolio » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:22 pm

geez Nick,

how many times do I have to say that we're not all after the same thing? How many times do I have to say that the experience is different for every single person?

what I am getting at is that there must be something that people enjoy when they're in the ocean... or they wouldn't keep doing it.

i like that it's different for everybody. i like that it's infinitely personal. i like that it's diverse.

sex is different for everyone yeah? some people do it standing up... on the washing machine... in bed... with several people at once. there's lots of sexual diversity around the world and i personally think it's a good thing. it also doesn't look like people are going to stop having sex soon... you know why? it feels (different types of) good (for everyone).

i think diversity in the water is a good thing. and oh yeah...

why can't we all just get along?

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:52 pm

a couple from the vault...

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:14 pm

peteleve that left [biarms] is such as epic setup, its like a wedge at skate park hahah. lets see wat i got in the old my pics folder...

beau day at CSIC

wing chizzle at CSIC how many surfers would make that drop? winny did, got shacked and spat out into the channel

Andre botha, BIGGEST CHARGE EVER EVER and in my mind the best bodyboarder of all time [youngest world champ 17] DONT BELIEVE ME!?...

DRE AT CHOPES

DRE at waimea
Last edited by lambert on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petelev4
Local

Post by petelev4 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:18 pm

haha yeah mate