Cyclones ALL the way down the east coast?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Larry
barnacle

Cyclones ALL the way down the east coast?

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:53 pm

My memory is that the big one in '74 was an intense low that formed over northern NSW and travelled east into the Tasman ~ I cannot remember a Qld cyclone travelling as far and for as long as Watti - The Coral Sea to NZ -

Does anyone have a recollection or record of a similar system travelling a similar path - or is this the 1st?

I do recall several years ago one prediction that the Qld cyclones will gradually move south, but to have one come down all the way seems remarkable.

larry

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:13 pm

I will not be baited Ron ~

Surely there is some earnest Googler out there who can provide a little data, or perhaps some youngster with an old trawlerman for a great grandad -

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:16 pm

1923 (many NSW dead)- 1950 (some NSW dead) - 2006 (no NSW dead)

27 years
56 years

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:34 pm

I remember one in the summer of 98-99. Think it was TC Frank. Started off in the Gulf of Carpinteria crossed the cape and re-intensified in the Coral Sea before travelling a long way south. Not too sure how south but Sydney got a lot of swell from it. It travelled a long way and was around for a long time. I'll check the BOM's archives tonight.

That summer was the last real bumper summer we had. Mike Perry wrote a great article callled 'Season Of Plenty' in Deep magazine and had some awesome stats of the cyclones and swell from that summer. Hit up Nick C for some info.

Also, in Nat's bio he talks about cyclones hitting Byron quite often back in the day. That hasn't happened for a while.

crooked
Local

Post by crooked » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:50 pm

I remember TC frank (or one arond that time, it started off Queensland, went across to the gulf, through Arnem Land, into the kimberly, down into the indian where it formed into a more 'normal' low then drifted across SA, VIC and NSW and then didn't even produce a decent swell on the east coast!
Amazing system though, to go to nearly every state and ocean in Australia

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:12 pm

Yeah, think your right Crooked. I'm getting my storms mixed up. I remember Frank almost circumnavagating Oz - crossing land twice and not weakening. Amazing weather system. There was one from that season (or close to it) that travelled a long way south in the Tasman. I've got that issue of Deep I mentioned at home and I'll dig it out tonight.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Surfing off the Opera House??

Sounds as likely as 8' shories at Coogee!

Left yourself wide open here smnmntl

vb
Local

Post by vb » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:15 pm

Remember '77 real well smnt; Coogee shorebreak was a least 8 foot

shish
regular

Post by shish » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:37 pm

dont get too cocky 2nd Reef. There is photos's of some QBC guys in the early 80's trying to surf Ferry wash off the Opera house. Saw it again recently but cant remember where. Im sure someone here would have access to it.
yeehaa!

sparra

Post by sparra » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:19 pm

old wati has been abit of a hoax around my parts.packed the 8'2" & 7'2" this morning thinking they'll get a run, not needed though.and the 6 foot of swell we have isn't really liking the banks.spewing off to work,looks like the swell has peaked and dropping also ,i'm sure there were waves around somewere though ,good luck to youse

puurri
Owl status

big swell

Post by puurri » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:50 pm

74 was the biggun.

Then 8-10 at Grotto. 10+ at Balmoral, Chinamans closed out. Manly lost the swim enclosure. Nielsen and Obelisk abt 6. Lots of others inside the Port.

Long, long swell lines this arvo..

McMahon? Pool at the Bra abt 12-15 left and right abt 5:20 pm THIS EVE.

Nth and Sth Cloey has abt 3-4 breaks to the Gordons Bay cliff line. Even some bigger.

Lurline Bay is uninhabited as some are closing out inside the peak.

Even Nth Coogee Pt is firing??? :oops: :oops:

bonka
Grommet

Post by bonka » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:54 pm

Nah never really surfed cyclone swell in Sydney before.

Recently Florida, Texas and the Carribeen have been completly whipped by hurricanes (I think 7 crossed the coast to the states in around 15months and above average number for last 7 years).

At the same time east oz has had drought for 5 years and less than average cyclone seasons (coral sea is supposed to average 7 per season). East Canada has had shitty snow as well.

Apparently all this happens in approx. 10 year cycles. I reckon its turning around for us (and the ball shrinking kokanee drinkers).

There is loads of info / resouces on the net, but im not retired Larry.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:56 am

I can only add that in the mid to late 70's 3 cyclones swept past the the coast here and the other stand out was Cyclone Roger in 92. :D