New board decompression :(

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

SAsurfa
barnacle

New board decompression :(

Post by SAsurfa » Tue May 23, 2006 1:26 pm

Hey guys I was in the water yesterday and noticed a pressure ding near my nose on the deck, not the bottom, but it hasn't cracked the glass I think cause I put water on it and there's no bubbles but you can see tiny cracks under the glass, is this alright to leave or should I get it filled in.

Im devo :cry: I don't even remember doing it!

Pics, you have to look close

Cheers

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:45 pm

As long as the glass isn't fractured it should be fine. I pour a little water on, then blow on the affected area to see whether there are any bubbles.

There are perhaps more scientific ways to go about it :?: but I've never had any problems using this basic method combined with a good visual inspection.

SMW1

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue May 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Yeah I did that and let it sit for a few minutes and watched it and nothing showed up so im pretty safe I think, ah well you can't protect your board forever :(

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Sun May 28, 2006 3:57 pm

The 1st ding always hurts the most, and half the time it's not even in the surf, it's getting it out of your car or something.

I had a mate who used to push a ding into his board as soon as he got it, just in the nose or something, that way he knew it was dinged and could get on with surfing it.

On this topic though how bad is it if there are miniscule cracks in the glass? I'm sure my board has some very small ones, should I be worried?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun May 28, 2006 4:43 pm

Chrisp wrote: On this topic though how bad is it if there are miniscule cracks in the glass? I'm sure my board has some very small ones, should I be worried?
Crispycritter that is such a hard question. All boards ultimately start to absorb some water. If it’s on the deck and not worth fixing just seal it with wax. If it’s somewhere you don’t want wax, see if you can seal it with car polish, liquid floor wax or something to stop the ingress of water.

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Sun May 28, 2006 5:24 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Chrisp wrote: On this topic though how bad is it if there are miniscule cracks in the glass? I'm sure my board has some very small ones, should I be worried?
Crispycritter that is such a hard question. All boards ultimately start to absorb some water. If it’s on the deck and not worth fixing just seal it with wax. If it’s somewhere you don’t want wax, see if you can seal it with car polish, liquid floor wax or something to stop the ingress of water.
Cheers Ric, that's what I tend to do seal it up with some wax or sometimes even a little bit of superglue or whatever. Then when I get the resin out to do some more major repairs I add a thin coat.

Ahhh wax is there anything it can't do? :D

SAsurfers
Grommet

Post by SAsurfers » Mon May 29, 2006 4:36 pm

My mate dinged my board a fair while ago and I filled it with wax but then after someone told me your not meant to do it because the shapers dont like it but then I was told that they just cut the entire thing out so it doesnt make any difference. Whats right?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 30, 2006 9:05 am

SAsurfers wrote:My mate dinged my board a fair while ago and I filled it with wax but then after someone told me your not meant to do it because the shapers dont like it but then I was told that they just cut the entire thing out so it doesnt make any difference. Whats right?
SAS, yes it’s probably not ideal, but would you rather it started taking in water? To fix any ding takes preparation, including the removal of any wax in the area, so I think it is pretty safe to do. If you have another method of waterproofing, go ahead and do it. There’s a good ding tape product available now. Hawkeye may have it on his ebay virtual store or your local surf shops may stock it.