Is anyone backyard shaping any more

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Is anyone backyard shaping any more

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:23 pm

It seems as if there is no interest in backyard shaping anymore. Im just wondering if anyone on this site is still shaping, if they are post up ya pictures of what ya working on. Would love to see it.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Re: Is anyone backyard shaping any more

Post by Beerfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Not enough surfing time, let alone shaping time digger. It's kind of wrong but I'm tempted by one of surfblanks machine shaped blanks. 6'0" stubbie maybe. Or just a bog standard 8'er to get me through non surfing times.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Very nice salt man, I've got two projects to finish, one I started shaping four years ago and wrapped it up in bubble wrap and stored it under a mates house in case I ever stopped travellin and another will be a twinny. Thinking of shallow singl all the way then a deep double funnelling out through the tail. I'm toying in my mind the idea of having the stringer higher at the tail than the sides, sorta like a stabiliser. Then making another twinny same size and width but with four deep clinkers running all the way through with the same nose and tail measurements. It would be interesting to compare both. I will just get seconds blanks as can't afford anything else. Though I need to have an op before I pick up a planner

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 am

saltman wrote:My next project may be closer
Unpacked my boards today and one has a neat crease just in front of the fins
Thanks Jetstar
Oh, that just sucks

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:11 pm

I have a little setup and make a few each year, here is a little samples from the past 12 months or so.
Attachments
WP_20170326_17_03_04_Pro.jpg
(26.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WP_20161223_06_09_50_Pro.jpg
(66.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WP_20160731_12_16_53_Pro.jpg
(75.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_1579.jpg
(73.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:37 pm

cheers for posting the pictures up, there is a fair bit of interest in shaping from people i surf with but not a lot really do get into it. I see it as an integral part of my surfing experience, I just wish I had a bit more time and funds to feed the addiction.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Tell me about the first one, tally.
Looks like just what I want.

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am

That board is currently unfinished I am rushing to get it done by Friday so I can take it away for a week camping on North Straddie. The outline is based on a template I took from Mactavish Tracker and I changed the tail to a rounded pin, it is pretty flat rockered as it is from a Burford 7'0" Don Blank, I maximised length so it came out at 6'11". The bottom has a slight rolled entry to single concave to slight V from just north of a 10" single fin box.

this is the second version I have made the first one was 6'6" and is the orange one in the last photo, It has been my go to step up board and has performed well I rode it through the winston swell last year and had a ball. Hopefully I get it done and get a few at Stradbroke next week!.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Tally wrote:That board is currently unfinished I am rushing to get it done by Friday so I can take it away for a week camping on North Straddie. The outline is based on a template I took from Mactavish Tracker and I changed the tail to a rounded pin, it is pretty flat rockered as it is from a Burford 7'0" Don Blank, I maximised length so it came out at 6'11". The bottom has a slight rolled entry to single concave to slight V from just north of a 10" single fin box.

this is the second version I have made the first one was 6'6" and is the orange one in the last photo, It has been my go to step up board and has performed well I rode it through the winston swell last year and had a ball. Hopefully I get it done and get a few at Stradbroke next week!.
Nice.
I'd stretch it again to about 7'4" and go to a deep double rather than V.
Or at least that's what I'd tell the shaper, then he'll make up his own mind.

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Saltman, that board was shaped by my brother and glassed by me it is a tie died cloth he asked me to put on the deck

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:51 pm

it was an old thin cotton sarong

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 am

nice tally, good to see some home made boards posted here again. Hey tully, would you mind sharing the bay that you make your boards in mate. Im still to crook to do much about shaping. Im seeing the surgeon on friday down at brisso and hopefully the surgery wont be far away. Im starting to think about rails at the moment. Whats peoples thought on this youtube effort I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDo9EFY9Afc

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Digger, I dont mind sharing my place (within reason), I am sure we could come to some arrangement.

Saltman, I did a version of an NPJ quartet a while ago, my brother had one so I grabbed a plan shape template and made the rest up myself. photo attached. the shapers fins weren't a bad match for the template on the original, I used their largest twin fin on the front and the DVS side bites for rears.
corncob.JPG
(46.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:59 am

What is the white abomination on the deck?

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:40 am

saltman they are at least 80-20 could be even more like 60-40, I havent had a look for a while.

alakaboo, the white is foam, the colour is resin tint and fabric, pretty it aint!

Tally
Grommet

Post by Tally » Wed May 03, 2017 10:17 am

Hi Saltman, it looks nice !! out of curiosity where do you get your blanks cut?

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Wed May 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Does look v v noice. The optical illusion of the bottom right pic is weird... but I get it

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat May 20, 2017 11:44 am

That looks sick!