Are you guys using UV cure resin for plug repair?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

jago25_98

Are you guys using UV cure resin for plug repair?

Post by jago25_98 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:19 pm

I've noticed a solarez video showing fitting a finbox with UV cure... but on what looks like a polyester board. I heard the blue tube solarez epoxy is harder to cure - main thing is to expose it to sunlight as soon as you can before it contacts oxygen... can also seal off the air with clear tape.

I have a fin box to repair. I notice that 2 part epoxy is very hard to find for sale here... must be due to the dangerous goods shipping charge you have here. Works out about 80 euros here for a kit with shipping whereas in Spain I could find an OK (but not great) aldarite 2 part for less than 10euros. So... I'm beginning to wonder if people are actually using UV cure resin for plug fittings?

What I don't understand is, if this is so... how does the resin under the plug cure if it can't see the light? Surely only the top is going to cure?

Further, I was going to fill the bottom of the hole with Q-Cell but I read something saying how that's too weak to use and to use foam offcuts... but I don't have spare foam to use...?

Professional price I see near Cronulla is $50/'plug' so I read that as $200 for 4 plugs required for 2 fins. That's more than a board is to buy... so it seems worth looking into.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Are you guys using UV cure resin for plug repair?

Post by alakaboo » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Fine to use epoxy on poly blanks, but not the poly resin on EPS.
Araldite is in the hardware store. 5 minute or 24 hour.normally in syringes.
Can also buy poly resin and MEKP as part of a kit, but the matting will probably be coarse. Can chop it up to put it under the plug.
Qcell in a paste with the resin is strong enough under the plug unless you have a manky ding.

jago25_98

Post by jago25_98 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks! It's polystyrene so yeah need epoxy.

Off to bunnings for some slow 24hour aldarite. Only got Chinese shop epoxy here... after almost setting fire to a board... won't be making that mistake again!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:09 pm

I always find the super strength araldyte crappy to use. Regular 5 minute is easier. Solar cure never seems to go off very easily....maybe the oxygen is the problem.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?