A shaping challenge

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: A shaping challenge

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:32 am

pridmore wrote:cutting it down again Digger ??? I thought you were talking about fin placement and glassing it up soon ??? why not glass up something pretty decent and surf it, maybe do another down the track mate ??? :?:
Because I believe I can make something pretty decent again, plus want pratice for when I go to make something I really want to ride. The bug has caught me pretty bad but time restrictions mean everything is slow. Another reason is I can learn from the mistakes I made with this one and try to implement that into my next attempted shape. Also I get more pratice using the power plane and I have to mow more foam of the next one and muck around a bit more because Im going a fair bit smaller, so will again be great pratice in doing this. Im really looking forward to giving it a crack. Ive taken photos of my first shape and stuck them in a album and will now give another crack at the next shape.

I went to that site that was recommended for fin placement but after a fair bit of soul searching I relised I was ultimately comprising on what I wanted to end up with. It will take me a while and maybe, just maybe one more shape, or another is needed first.

The dream was always to end up with a board made for one wave in particular that will draw different lines to the qf I have. And the first shape wasnt really the answer to that so will try to improve my skills to a level where I can have a crack at that magic board Im after.

The MORE pratice the better :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:18 pm

th resin tinBeen a bit quite in there of late, has everyone lost interest?

Maybe this might help. Attached are pics of the three boards I've just made for myself! Yep, these boards are all about ME ME ME. Wife is looking at the nine boards now floating around the garage and making animal grunting sounds! They just dont understand!
Attachments
043.jpg
Trying the McTavish theroy on fin width. Front fins are the same width and the size of my foot. Haven't tried it yet!
041.jpg
5'10 Shorty. Same volume as my 6'3.
049.jpg
5'10 Shorty. Same volume as my 6'3.
018.jpg
9'1 Mal
015.jpg
9'1 Mal
012.jpg
9'1 Mal
013.jpg
Back. Resin tint. Think I'll ride this as a twin
008.jpg
5'10 Fish with resin splash.
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Problem with these pics is because I've shrunk them they make the boards look all distorted....so, instead or inspiring you guys to get shaping I've probably turn you all off!

Sorry

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:32 pm

ive just been too busy with work, so bloody tired and no time to shape. Just think about the next step and sleep on it. I know I will never make the perfect stick and I will leave that stuff for people like Mark to do it for me but I cant wait to start soon. Just workin a lot of hours and absolutely stuffed. I have moved my stands out of my shed and into a area with more room to move, so hopefully will not stuff up the blank next time.

Hope to catch my local point tommorow as it could produce the waves but Im so stuffed dont know if I should or not, as have to work, time for bed me thinks.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:47 am

3 at once, now you gotta decide what one to surf and get used to 3 new sleds...hard job but someones gotta do it....I have never had 3 at once ( not surfboards anyway ha ha...)...They all look good but I like the round tail with paint splats mate, like the fin theory and with the round tail, I reckon it'll turn well....what size fins you got in there ???.....could be the pics but they look a bit big to me.....??? top work mate..... 8)

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Fins are shapers Quad X series.

Side Base 113mm: Depth 113
Rear Base 99mm: Depth 111

What do you think? I was trying to keep them a bit bigger to help control the board because it's so small (5'10).

I also rode the fish this morning. I was so happy with it. I have a pop out 7S that I think my new fish runs rings around. I can't believe how good it feels to ride a board you made yourself and that goes as good or better then one you've got from a shop.

Life is good!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm

try KS2.1s' in front and double foil G1000s' in the rear...if you have them or can get some....much better than what you have in that type of shape....especially in beach break waves.... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:54 pm

any more ideas mark on when the meeting day will be mate, how is everyone going, Ive stalled a bit but only because of time factor for shaping due to long hours of work.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:59 am

Dunno guys, got so much stuff on next few months....hard to plan a day coz we all have work and other comittments, when is good for you guys ? Sat arvo of the 13th of March is a possibility ???

scot
regular

Post by scot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:08 pm

My board has been finished and ridden. I dont have any pics yet tho.
I have had 3 surfs so far and I'm pretty happy with it.
it paddles really well and gets through fatter sections easily.
I havnt had a chance to do many good turns yet but it feels really good under foot.
The costmetics are pretty ordinary. got a few dry spots, etc.
I used some 2oz innegra + 4oz eglass on the deck and so far i'm a bit dissapointed with the innegra. it was meant to be pretty strong and ding resistent but I have some big heel dents on the deck under my front foot already.

hopefully I can get some pics soon.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey Scot!

Great to hear the board is going well mate. Can't wait to see some pics. Well done!

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:53 pm

I'm just trying photo Bucket. See if my pics come out better.

http://pbckt.com/sx.lBN

http://pbckt.com/sx.lBN

scot
regular

Post by scot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 pm

ledge,
you need to copy the IMG Code link and paste it in here.
you might need to resize them down a fraction tho.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 pm

oh yeah thanks and nice board mate. i like the swirl

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Ta Mate!

scot
regular

Post by scot » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:05 am

theres an art to taking pics of boards that i just dont have but heres a few anyway...

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:59 pm

pridmore wrote:Dunno guys, got so much stuff on next few months....hard to plan a day coz we all have work and other comittments, when is good for you guys ? Sat arvo of the 13th of March is a possibility ???
Unfortunately I cant make sat arvos due to work, if it would be easier at this time of year to put it off for a bit longer, hey speak up and we can easy put it off mate till its easier for you.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey Scot! Well done mate....it even floats!

I see what you mean about the pressure dings in the deck, but I assume it's because of the 4 & 2 ounce combo. I use 2 layers of 4 and on my own boards I usually put an extra layer of 4 over my back foot and arse area. I adds nearly no weight but really strengthens up the area over your back foot.

Appart from that the shape looks great. The fin set up looks really good and so does the outline. I've really fallen in love with the Quads. They are so far ahead of what they were 10 years ago.

I'd love to have a ride and compare it to my few quads I have here. When I took that resin swirl fish out for its first run I surfed it way and beyond my expectations. I couldn't believe how well it went. There was a guy that I surf with regularly who asked me to make one for him from just watching me surf it. He was impressed on how well it went in the small but clean 2ft point waves we were surfing. I was catching nearly as many waves as the mals and 8 footers. That was a big buz. I can see how Mark and other "real" shapers get a kick out of seeing people ride their boards.

I feel like going to the garage and starting another!