It's a marathon not a sprint, Spring '15

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Re: It's a marathon not a sprint, Spring '15

Post by shaunmorrison » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:15 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Meds lol
you sound like more of a parrot than me sunny :)

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Lolz
Erase.

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:02 am

Your hard bunch to keep happy aren't you's. when I turned up on your doorstep some of you told contribute a bit more and you may listen. Well I just did! I gave an opinion on one of steves opinions and in a friendly way pointed out he's just redirected a couple of hundred guys about to book ticket to indo next year to cloudbreak. Sorry I have opinions different to yours, but that doesn't make me a troll, steves comeback at me was brilliant wasn't it, from a man who drinks a slab of beer and smokes 20 joints a day whilst on the job, should rename his blog "through the Haze"

It's a good thing that stevie came back when he did, so many people mistook me for andy and you were all out searching for the steve in the "wheres steve thread" Luckily the messiah came home as some of you badly needed something in your lives and were ripe for the picking for an organization like isis infiltrate these forums and get into your heads.

So far Spring down in Gippsland has been damn nice weather, a few small swells on some nice quiet banks, been driving a couple of hours west to take in some quality beaches and reefs, all up we like the easterly spring winds down gippie way 3-)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:35 am

Shaun do you really think that people reading any of Steve's stories have never heard of the places? Or is your issue that he makes it seem doable for an average punter?
I'm not defending Steve I'm genuinely interested.

Cause I'm interested precisely because of where they are set. I've never been to Cloudbreak or NW WA but I reckon I knew about them 20 years before I read anything by Steve.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:23 am

Ever seen Green Iguana? Shaun

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:27 am

Okay Boo, it's just the concept that someone is going somewhere and splashing it over the net and surf mags and he makes money from it and then moves on to the next spot. Steve probably had beers and smoked joints with those wave dodging kooks that have been spending their hard earned dodging crowds only to have someone share their company and then call them kooks and tell others they should be just discounted. Reading between the line, maybe steves just a greedy prick who constantly paddles inside everyone.
As far as the NW goes I do know that Dereks name is mud up there with local surfers as he has a habit of turning most things into a bit of a circus, I doubt they know who steve is, but he tried to jump on that gravy train.
There are a number of world class waves that have just been written off as too crowded, too expensive and have basically been forgotten they are places that were in the surf mags since adam was a boy and had or still have pro tour events, but at the right time you can virtually get them to yourself.
I've had the pleasure of surfing some iconic surf spots as good as they get with no one in the water, the sought of surf where you pinch yourself at the end of each wave. When I read someone post about someone on here telling everyone about how uncrowded one of these places is, I just accept it as the way of the world now and file the info away to be considered when planning the next surf trip, but steves a different kettle of fish, he selling information at the expense of guys who spend their saving on finding these gems under their own steam, sorry if I have a hard time getting my point across as my education was not as it should have been due to my infatuation with surfing.

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:31 am

Yes Slob, I have, Ive also seen Storm Riders, each created a crowd spike, to the point where alot of people stopped going because it was too crowded.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 am

Fk man Tavarua resort?

Ring a bell???

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:54 am

Good on you for having an opinion Shaun
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 am

el rancho wrote:Fk man Tavarua resort?

Ring a bell???
El, why don't you start a "Let"s felch steve thread"? I wont annoy with my opinions in there<

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 am

I also surfed this magical secret spot called DY, sssssshhhhh don't tell anyone.

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:22 am

[quote="Davros"]I also surfed this magical secret spot called DY, sssssshhhhh don't tell anyone.[/quote

Well yeah , you probably would keep it to yourself if there was a certain set of conditions that you got it to yourself, unlikely yes, but if it happened you'd be a fool to tell everyone here. :lol:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 am

Fair enough Shaun.
I doubt many people changed their plans but you at least present your case.
I actually think that 'directing' people to places which are already pretty well known saves other gems for those willing to explore.
I think the breaks we are talking about have natural limits based on accommodation and travel but if it reduces the chance of sneaky shoulder season sessions then you may have a point.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:29 am

Selling information? I wrote it for free here in the weather and forecasting thread where I reckon at the most optimistic reading maybe thirty people read it. I said it was uncrowded specifically so one or two of those thirty might put Cloudbreak on the list. Cloudbreak is one of the most iconic and publicized waves on the planet, Tavurua is booked out years in advance. But you already knew that, sounds like you've just got some rusty old axe to grind.
I paid for the trip out ofy own coin and very much enjoyed surfing with the other people I met on the trip.
You might not be as much of a dill in real life as you sound like on here Shaun but my gut feeling is you could use some help. Keep barking up this tree if you like but I won't be responding: life's too short to waste time dealing with dickheads on the Internet.
Last edited by steve shearer on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 am

Now your just being a bit silly SM.

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:02 am

alakaboo wrote:Fair enough Shaun.
I doubt many people changed their plans but you at least present your case.
I actually think that 'directing' people to places which are already pretty well known saves other gems for those willing to explore.
I think the breaks we are talking about have natural limits based on accommodation and travel but if it reduces the chance of sneaky shoulder season sessions then you may have a point.
Yes, I am the parrot that lurks on the seasons shoulder :-D-:

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 am

Davros wrote:Now your just being a bit silly SM.
Yes I am, but then so were you :)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:06 am

Apologies if you were just taking the piss.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes