Huey is a Legend

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Huey is a Legend

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:10 pm

After looking at the charts for this weekend and early next week, and then subsequently looking at the charts for later in the week (next week), I thought it best to resurrect my previous reference to Huey as I think mid next week is gonna be damn fine up here in SE Qld (and along the entire east coast for that matter).

Nothing huge, but just some really really nice conditions and swell.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Huey is a Legend

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:48 pm

Well looking at the wave buoys from mid NSW coastline up to SE Qld, there's certainly some damn fine looking SE groundswell in the water at the moment. If these conditions persist into tomorrow morning, one would expect some high quality waves on offer.

Shame I have an 8am meeting in Brisvegas tomorrow morning....arggghh!!!! :evil:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:36 pm

Donweather wrote:Well looking at the wave buoys from mid NSW coastline up to SE Qld, there's certainly some damn fine looking SE groundswell in the water at the moment. If these conditions persist into tomorrow morning, one would expect some high quality waves on offer.

Shame I have an 8am meeting in Brisvegas tomorrow morning....arggghh!!!! :evil:
I'll let you know. 8) :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 pm

TrevG wrote:I'll let you know. 8) :wink:
I figured you would Trev. Hope ya find some good ones!!! Please leave some leftovers for me come Thursday morning!!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm

If it's any consolation Don, we had pretty flat conditions this morning and it only built slowly to get worthwhile later in the day. Apparently won't last long tomorrow.

We just have to sink NZ and the east coast would get a regular serve of long range ground swells from the east, south east and north east.

Who's up for it?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:14 pm

You nailed it, Don. 8)
Heard it arrive about 2am.
Nice long lines wrapping around the point and along the headland this morning on a falling tide.
The wind had been on it all night from the NW but was only light and was hitting the cliff and bouncing back out to blow nice rooster tails off the walls.
In summary a bit bumpy but head high and above, long rides, getting longer as the tide dropped.
Hope there should be something leftover tomorrow.
Maybe we're getting Sydney's share. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:04 pm

TrevG wrote:In summary a bit bumpy but head high and above, long rides, getting longer as the tide dropped.
Hope there should be something leftover tomorrow.
Maybe we're getting Sydney's share. 8)
Good stuff Trev...glad you got some. There should be some leftovers come tomorrow and just between you and me, I've found that in the past the models tend to underpredict swell heights from these tight little niche pocket fetches just off the west coast of NZ. Don't get me wrong, the peak of the swell has occurred, but it could well wane slower than what the models are indicating.

And as for Sydney, it's fair to say that the bulk of the fetch on the SW corner of the Tasman low was aimed at the Mid Nth NSW coast and SE Qld. The only bizarre outlier in this equation is (as Craig also pointed out in his Curl Curl Surf Report this morning) the fact that the Sth Coast NSW wave buoys jumped in a similar fashion to the Mid Nth NSW coast wave buoys and Sydney appears to have been left in a swell shadow of some sorts.

Although I believe these are two different swell events. We've seen the swell from the Tasman low (over the weekend and into early this week) whereas I think there was also another small, compact, but tight little SE fetch that formed off the SW tip of NZ's southern island (I recall seeing this on Quikscat data earlier in the week I think) around the same time, and this is what I think the southern NSW buoys have seen.

Goldy was crap this morning by all accounts. Banks are really struggling to handle anything over a swell period of 9-10 seconds at the moment. Sweep was horrendous as well.
Quikscat_1_2_1.JPG
Quikscat_1_2_1.JPG (45.83 KiB) Viewed 6350 times

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:34 pm

You might be right Don...but be prepared to be patient.
There were solid sets at Ballina this morning and I believe the fetch was aimed directly at us but jeez it is inconsistent....as well as having quite a strong northerly on it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks Steve. Similar reports in from the Goldy as well, with the N'ly killng most options and the sweep making conditions woeful.

Tomorrow winds should be more true offshore (W'ly) though, wouldn't you agree Steve?

It's fair to say that these very long period swells are more suited to "marquee" pointbreaks, given the woeful state of most of the beachie banks at the moment.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:10 pm

not allowed to say Marquee anymore Don.
the boogieboarders cracked the code.

would be very surprised if there was enough for pointbreaks tomorrow.
your heading north aren't you?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:29 pm

TrevG wrote:Maybe we're getting Sydney's share. 8)
Think you're just getting it 8-12 hrs later, so it's mostly in daylight hours.

Swell was 3-4' but v thick late Tuesday, 3-4' and thinner this morning, but there's a swim buoy 200 m off the beach at Newport that got pulled out and chucked well up the beach overnight -- would've taken solid 4-6' set waves to do that over a sustained few hours.

Irritatingly all in darkness.

Swell angle indicates it was off that bigger low near the Nth Island. Which is now on the wrong side of that super irritating land mass. :lol:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:would be very surprised if there was enough for pointbreaks tomorrow.
your heading north aren't you?
Agree with the swell/pointbreaks. I'm actually heading to the GC as I have a two day workshop down there Thurs/Fri...and Thurs session doesn't start til 10am so it's an extended surf for me tomorrow morning.

Biggest issue will be finding a bank worthy of a surf down there.

Otherwise I would be heading to my favourite SC beachie tomorrow no questions asked. Banks up there love a SE groundswell.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Think you're just getting it 8-12 hrs later, so it's mostly in daylight hours.

Swell was 3-4' but v thick late Tuesday, 3-4' and thinner this morning, but there's a swim buoy 200 m off the beach at Newport that got pulled out and chucked well up the beach overnight -- would've taken solid 4-6' set waves to do that over a sustained few hours.

Irritatingly all in darkness.
Looking at the Mid Nth NSW coast wave buoys I'd actually say your swell peaked late yesterday afternoon (before sunset) Nick, where as our swell (up here) did in fact peak during the night.
Nick Carroll wrote:Swell angle indicates it was off that bigger low near the Nth Island. Which is now on the wrong side of that super irritating land mass. :lol:
At the very least they could have separated the Nth and Sth Islands a bit more like Bass Strait. Anyone know a good tug boat?

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Don, Ben does Curl Curl, not me :wink:
Nick Carroll wrote:Irritatingly all in darkness.
Aint that the truth, I rocked up to the beach this morning to be greeted with sloppy 2-3ft waves with moderate northerly winds sectioning and crumbling sections all over the place. The set waves still felt like they had a bit of gusto but it was a far cry from last weeks run of waves!

Can't make sense of it hitting CC, South Coast and Tassie and then missing Sydney :? Win some you loose some Don :wink: :P

Bring on the weekend I say :D

Oh and the swell was from inbetween the Islands Don, as pointed out above, even the fickle NE Coast of Tassie picked up some perfectly groomed 3-4ft groundswell..

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Anyone like to comment on what the latest GFS model is progging off the eastern seaboard in about 7-8 days time?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:52 pm

^^^7-8 days time?!

Bloody 'ell Don! This swell event isn't over and we've got a neat little south swell coming this weekend, yet you're looking beyond even that.

You're like some mad futurist. You've got a 1000 yard stare that passes through space and time.

You've gotta learn to live for the moment brother!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 pm

2nd Reef wrote:^^^7-8 days time?!

Bloody 'ell Don! This swell event isn't over and we've got a neat little south swell coming this weekend, yet you're looking beyond even that.

You're like some mad futurist. You've got a 1000 yard stare that passes through space and time.

You've gotta learn to live for the moment brother!
LOL!! Stu, you have to remember where I live.....SE Qld my friend, and so if anything with E'ly in it pops up on the radar then I start to get excited. The SSW swell coming this weekend will just keep on drifting right past SE Qld, so not much point even talkin about that with us folk up here.

And as for livin for the moment......I'm getting wet tomorrow so fingers crossed there's some better banks around then compared with this morning, cause by all accounts this morning was pretty ordinary up here bank and wind wise.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 am

Yeah, fair call Don.

I give you three thumbs up for your eternal optimism. Unfortunately for you I'm not so optimistic on the easterly flow kicking up too much swell your way.

But don't worry! There'll be another swell after that.