What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: #2

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:03 pm

oldman wrote:Marcus, I think he was talking to DonW and his fellow queenslanders, who have been stealing our sand from south of the Tweed for some time now.

And then spilling oil and chemicals on it. Can't look after anything!
Nah. There was an earlier post where he asked Don if he'd forsaken DY for Qld? That's what Don W is referring to.
as in .........
LONGINUS wrote:Don, have you moved up to Qld permanently? No more longreef :shock:
PS. Do try to keep up, oldfella :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Brilliant TrevG! Go to the top of the class.

Yes, Longinus did seemingly confuse DonW with Don Norris. I'd sought of picked that up by the earlier reference and this
LONGINUS wrote: Ah, my bad,

Which seemed to me his admission of error, which sort of made Marcus's
marcus wrote:gday longinus
could you be thinking of another Don, Don Norris, the owner of realsurf that takes the pics of dy and longreef?
a bit late, don't you think!

but the reference to sand is surely about DonW being a qld'er, and you lot pilfering our Tweed sand, and then having oil spills on it, surely..................

unless he was talking about sand movements between Dee Why and Long Reef, and some oil spill that I haven't heard about.

Are yer with me now? :mrgreen: :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:04 pm

:shock: :?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:52 pm

Donweather wrote:#2 around the end of next week (week ending Saturday 20 June)??
Anyone like to comment on this? Is GFS not showing the early evolution of a system very similar to the one that caused the floods in SE Qld/Nth NSW a few weeks back?

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:07 pm

The Black Nor Easter?

Discuss

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:26 am

oldman wrote:Brilliant TrevG! Go to the top of the class.

Yes, Longinus did seemingly confuse DonW with Don Norris. I'd sought of picked that up by the earlier reference and this
LONGINUS wrote: Ah, my bad,

Which seemed to me his admission of error, which sort of made Marcus's
marcus wrote:gday longinus
could you be thinking of another Don, Don Norris, the owner of realsurf that takes the pics of dy and longreef?
a bit late, don't you think!

but the reference to sand is surely about DonW being a qld'er, and you lot pilfering our Tweed sand, and then having oil spills on it, surely..................

unless he was talking about sand movements between Dee Why and Long Reef, and some oil spill that I haven't heard about.

Are yer with me now? :mrgreen: :lol:
I think Marcus only just got round to reading the topic. :oops:
Exactly. He thought Don had moved to Qld so was aking him for your sand back. 8)
But - we haven't got it. :idea:
All bare rocks and crumbling backyards up here. Your sand must be hanging out around Kingscliff / Fingal waiting to see who makes the best offer. :wink:
I was also gonna say something about Marcus being a boogie boarder which explains a lot but that would be putting down boogie boarders so i won't. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:14 pm

barstardos wrote:The Black Nor Easter?

Discuss
Well according to GFS it's progging favourable (for a significant rainfall event) onshore winds and a surface trough with enhancement all courtesy of a upper western low. Now for the untrained weather person like myself, this all sounds very similar to the last rainfall event SE QLD/Nth NSW copped. Current charts are progging the upper low a little further south this time by the looks of it though.

EC also seems to now be on the case with it indicating an upper trough and moist tradewinds feeding the system. Although it's indicating this a little later into next weekend?

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:56 pm

all the sand has been kidnaped and held hostage by chinese minning corperations and is at this verry moment being turned into useless little glass ornaments designed to break and cut you....Im backing a nth east swell by friday... :|

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Donweather wrote:Now for the untrained weather person like myself,
You're kidding, right?
Donweather wrote: this all sounds very similar to the last rainfall event SE QLD/Nth NSW copped. Current charts are progging the upper low a little further south this time by the looks of it though.
Looks very familiar at the moment Don Corleone.

Steve Shearer had better get the galoshes, and maybe the kayak, out again. Doesn't appear quite as strong as ind event but the rain is gonna hit the waterlogged north east of NSW, plus most of the coast.

Doesn't quite gel with Don Norris' call for big sse swell later in the week, but I'm an untrained weather man!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:56 pm

oldman wrote:You're kidding, right?
I was being serious actually. I don't actually have any formal meteorological training (and I hear the meteorological trained saying "and it shows").

All just self taught.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Donweather wrote:Well according to GFS it's progging favourable (for a significant rainfall event) onshore winds and a surface trough with enhancement all courtesy of a upper western low. Now for the untrained weather person like myself, this all sounds very similar to the last rainfall event SE QLD/Nth NSW copped. Current charts are progging the upper low a little further south this time by the looks of it though.

EC also seems to now be on the case with it indicating an upper trough and moist tradewinds feeding the system. Although it's indicating this a little later into next weekend?
Whilst the current rainfall falling on SE Qld/Nth NSW doesn't have the intensity of the late May destruction, the duration and the fact that they are forecasting some heavier falls later tonight as the upper trough moves east certainly looks ominous.

Deja vu anyone?

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:36 pm

68 or 76?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Donweather wrote:All just self taught.
While you just lost some credibility with just about everyone else, your credibility with me went much higher Don.

Some strange weather charts at the moment. Not sure what to make of them other than that nothing 'significant' seems to be happening;

unless more rain qualifies as significant!

But then again, Nick is calling for 4th July or so. Certainly some powerful southern lows whipping past under WA and SA lately, but they are losing both their steam and their direction by the time they get in our swell window. You would imagine one or more of them will come good for us non-qlders.

Cheers Don, keep us informed. :mrgreen: :D

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks oldman....appreciate the kind words.

On other note, Steve, just out of curiosity, what is a "marqee beachbreak"?

roundhouse
Grommet

Post by roundhouse » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:17 am

Donweather wrote:Thanks oldman....appreciate the kind words.

On other note, Steve, just out of curiosity, what is a "marqee beachbreak"?
I believe its his way of making sure every fu ckwit who reads his forecast will head to the only decent beach breaks.

Although I do enjoy and appreciate reading the forecasts they are getting beyond a joke. Intially it started with a straight forecast of the winds and swell heights and directions. then it went to 'head to south facing beaches' in south swells now its telling everyone to head to certain beaches because they love these predicted conditions.. 'certain a-frame beachies come to mind'. No shit, no need to tell the people who it didnt come to mind tho.

Im not usually one to bitch and moan about this sort of stuff as he and all forecasters are doing a 'favour' but at some point they have to leave it up to the imagination to ensure every 14y.o booger isnt in the line up and im not talking about Dbah and Sstrad either.

Sorry for the rant Steve but we all know that its harder and harder to get a decent wave to yourself.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Fair call Roundy, but when a university educated professional is asking me about exactly what a marquee beachbreak is ...I'm assuming a 14 year old boogieboarder has no idea.
Fcuck the 14 year olds around here would'nt know what letter marquee started with.

It's code for certain guys to think about places they might go get barelled.....if all they can come up with is SS or D-bah then they'll deal with crowds....if they can think outside the square they'll surf with fcuk all people.

I was on the Goldy mid-late 80's when the Southport/Nerang River bypass system was first put in. The first year was bliss....less than a dozen crew out. Second year the crowd grew exponentially, especially when the bloke started ferrying people over. It was a shitfight long before internet forecasting was even a tiny little hard-on in a nerd's y-fronts.
Same goes for D bacle.

I think down here mid week crowds are actually getting smaller due to bigger social factors : higher cost of servicing a mortage, not as many crew on the dole surfing etc etc (Byron not included).
I'm still staggered over how many times after tipping marquee beachies I rock up to one closeby and there's no-one fcuking out......
Most of the mid-week crew here are semi-retirees from the Big Smoke who want nothing to do with a 6foot barelling beachie...they'd rather ride a mal at the Pass.

PS..I probably won't say A-frame from now on....I'll think of a more obscure term.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 pm

steve shearer wrote:I'm still staggered over how many times after tipping marquee beachies I rock up to one closeby and there's no-one fcuking out......
Most of the mid-week crew here are semi-retirees from the Big Smoke who want nothing to do with a 6foot barelling beachie...they'd rather ride a mal at the Pass.
I have definitely found that up your way Steve. Everyone goes to the nearby 'famous' breaks and don't realise that better uncrowded waves are breaking close by.

Same goes for Bondi around these parts.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:16 pm

steve shearer wrote:but when a university educated professional is asking me about exactly what a marquee beachbreak is.
It's just not a term I've come across previously, apart from reading your reports and forecasts. And in case you didn't know, engineers are not renowned for their English!!! I'm not asking where they are....just want you mean by the term, that's all.
steve shearer wrote:I'm still staggered over how many times after tipping marquee beachies I rock up to one closeby and there's no-one fcuking out......
Goes without saying the SC is very similar. Last time I surfed my favourite SC beachie, I shared it with only 4 other blokes as far as the eye could see.....and this is literally 30-40m from where you can park your car, so it's no real searchin involved at all.