No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:04 pm

This is a classic ECL.

You have to look at the uppers as well.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Skipper
Duke Status

Re: No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

Post by Skipper » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:11 pm

this one had a lot of bark for a night or 2, but didn't appear to be drawing up much fetch. pfft, gone today.
next sunday/monday's models indicate a more impressive swell event as the low looks to move inland sw and then swings back out east and the high west draws a long line from deep down south.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:04 pm

from craig (SN) facebook page. some dude sam jones scores at deadmans

https://vimeo.com/125663091
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Funny Neilson Park. I've checked it so many times and had two really fun little barrel sessions proning it on a lid on the inside bit years ago. It's really knuckle scraping stuff on the barnacle encrusted rock shelf when it's little. Quite a nice little line up on its day I guess....but 30 guys?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Shep!

What's the best soft plastics for in the surf and around rocks? gonna take my daughter camping for three days of fishing & waves, start sunday...

don't really wanna take stinky bait in the food esky.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

Braithy wrote:Shep!

What's the best soft plastics for in the surf and around rocks? gonna take my daughter camping for three days of fishing & waves, start sunday...

don't really wanna take stinky bait in the food esky.
I'll stick my nose in...I get a lot of flatties with jerk shads around 4-5 inches in the surf. Various colours. Nuclear chicken for me but that's just because its the one that I keep using not because its necessarily the best. You need a bit of weight on the jig head to cast from the shore if there are waves (in wind I sometimes use up to 3/4 oz); if you are casting somewhere sheltered then less. Around rocks you don't need to cast very far but if the weight is too light it may just get washed around and not actually make it down. Type of rod can affect the weight as well, some rods need more weight to cast.

However, any of the gulp plastics are worth trying out (or the other makes I'm sure). Buy some of those clip on lid plastic lunch containers from woollies and shove your bags of plastic into them (the bags can leak a bit when open, the plastics have some kind of liquidy stuff on them that smells a bit) and the closed container stops them from drying out and makes storage easy. A few packs of different jig head weights, a knife, a rag (for flattie spike protection) and good to go.

The only problem with lure fishing with kids is that you have to keep the lure moving. If the kid gets bored bait fishing, you can just have the bait sitting there while they stare at the clouds or whatever; with lure fishing they have to keep doing it. Its more work and you get more frustrated if the fishing isn't working than with bait (at least I do). If they arent good at casting they can get frustrated as well. So take some normal fishing gear, hooks and sinkers, and you can always find some bait (pippis or worms or cunjie or a bit of fish you caught or just a lump of steak from dinner).

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:52 am

cheers ctd ... excellent info. yeah i'll take some beachworms up with me for the girl and we'll collect pipis on low tide. but i'll fish with plastics.

there's a stack of elbow slapping whiting which've just moved into where i'm going. be perfect for the daughter off the beach while i surf.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:55 am

Sorry Braithy, just saw this. Go to BigW and buy a stack of those pre-rigged tsunami shads. all in white.

they work. Fish 'em really slow.

berkely gulps are good but you won't need to rig these ones up and they don't stink.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:19 pm

steve shearer wrote:Sorry Braithy, just saw this. Go to BigW and buy a stack of those pre-rigged tsunami shads. all in white.

they work. Fish 'em really slow.

berkely gulps are good but you won't need to rig these ones up and they don't stink.

cheers mate. i'm heading out now. i'll look for the tsunamis. i got your missed call too. it's just been hectic as around here. i won't get to exhale until tomorra.

i'll be back on board for Rio, mate.
Kunji wrote:

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:57 pm

Family holidays are such fun....tsunamis add to the experience, no doubt.
Did you catch anything?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:31 pm

MrMik wrote:Family holidays are such fun....tsunamis add to the experience, no doubt.
Did you catch anything?

leave on sunday Mik, back on weds, beach camping ... just me and my daughter – she's been sick, so i'm getting her away from it all.

they've so undercalled this swell for sunday-monday. i'd be really surprised if its not pumping.

pretty amped.
Kunji wrote:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Put ya money where ya mouth is Braithy and put your forecast into print mate. No point baggin others if you're not gonna put your cock on the block also.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:38 am

Donweather wrote:Put ya money where ya mouth is Braithy and put your forecast into print mate. No point baggin others if you're not gonna put your cock on the block also.

haha. piss off don.

Considering all forecast and reports were calling around here y'day 2ft with the very ambiguous & generalised "bigger sets" ... and it was a solid 4-foot sets and on the proper pump where i was ...

And this was earlier in the week where i was and the same reports calling it 2-3ft, but it was a tad bigger.

I'll err on the side that sunday/ monday have been undercalled. I'll say it'll be 4-5ft sets late sunday into monday where i'll be at which is pretty exposed.

should i take photographic evidence and hand it over later next week of my whereabouts don, or are you happy to take my word for it? you weather buffoons are all so precious, so it's hard to tell how serious you're being.
Kunji wrote:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:08 am

No need to post locations mate. You've stated your forecast so let's see what happens. Although your qualification of "exposed" concerns me a little. What's your forecast for where 95% of people will be going. ie open beaches.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 am

jesus don ... don't let something like that concern you.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:48 am

yesterday was a nice surprise.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:58 pm

No surprise here Steve. I have a fairly well proven theory on those exact synoptic setups.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:20 am

It was as delightful as the breath of God