No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

Post by swvic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:00 pm

steve shearer wrote:Rock-off after an hour of run in; that'll be the safest rock-off all day.
Safest or least death-defying?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

MrMik
regular

Re: No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

Post by MrMik » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:16 am

steve shearer wrote:nah, give it a go. If you get off the rocks in one piece you'll have fun.
I got that rock jumping crap out of my system today. Hope nobody saw it, ego bruised more than board.

All for trying to have a go at this:

My feet are sliced up a little bit, just superficially, no problem if it does not get infected.

The "best" part of the 'getting sliced at the Ox' experience is walking back to the car park through slippery 1ft wide goat tracks, with dog-pee covered long grass on each side, which is lashing the bleeding wounds on both feet...and no showers once you get to the car park. Take first aid kit and plenty of fresh water to clean wounds......

I'll spare you the photos of my feet.

Due to some as yet poorly defined conspiracy theory, the replacement for my favourite board ( the one wrecked today) was finally finished today, after 15 months, and it really helps to soothe the grief for my lost big love.
Notice the two 1:15 models, which were shaped in desperation whilst waiting for it for so long.....unfinished masterpieces, still in progress.

So, stuff that rock jump, I'll be taking the long paddle from somewhere else next time.
Attachments
DSC_0030-640x640_New_Precious.jpg
(30.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_0014-640x640.jpg
(46.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_0007-640x640.jpg
(49.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:48 am

How could a rock bottom point break that is open to punchy swells be sketchy mate?*

*written from the safety of my lounge, a long way away :)

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:11 am

tonks wrote:I can't help but get the impression it's at least slightly sketchy at 6ft, let alone 10ft...
I can't help but get the impression that tonks is being trolled in his efforts to be a waterman. ;)
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 am

not at all. I'm giving him heartfelt advice. It's relatively easy and safe on lower tides. Jump off on low, come in on the incoming.
Don't worry if you get cut or ding your board, happens to everyone. Shrug it off and keep surfing.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 am

You said you wanted to ride bigger waves, this is the best big wave in the region. I think you'll be shocked if you do go out when it's ten foot how much board you need to successfully ride it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:34 am

It's a big open ocean line-up with a lot of water moving around once it gets to 6ft.....but even on the inside section it can be hard to paddle in on a smaller board.

Still, I reckon you could go out safely and have fun.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:45 am

I think the first couple of days will be wild. On the downslope might be best.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:55 pm

Why not paddle in and out at the boat ramp? Is that not possible in big swells or just not macho enough? Or what am I missing?
Steve, when you say 10ft, how does that compare to the peak size of the swell we had the last 3days?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm

You can paddle from the boat channel but unless you have an outboard motor as an assist it's going to take you an hour plus to paddle out.

Last swell was 6ft with the odd 8fter. It gets much bigger.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:03 pm

How about tow-outs? Might be lucrative.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:11 pm

no jet-skis allowed at the Point, not easy to get a tinnie out the boat channel when it's ten foot.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Surfboat?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm

seen a clubbie ski out the back.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:27 pm

this system is going to crank up the sou-westers and get the mullet moving. That'll be interesting with all the shark paranoia.

regular

Post by 8 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:22 pm

GFS just called 200mm plus of rain for Sydernee On Wednesday. I'm sure it will get revised to something more conservative but that is still a fruckload of water.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:45 pm

That downpour we had about an hour ago felt like 200mm.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 pm

depends where the low spins up but the upper trough coming through is real shitt.