What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

roundhouse
Grommet

Re: #2

Post by roundhouse » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:30 pm

steve shearer wrote:Fair call Roundy, but when a university educated professional is asking me about exactly what a marquee beachbreak is ...I'm assuming a 14 year old boogieboarder has no idea.
Fcuck the 14 year olds around here would'nt know what letter marquee started with.

It's code for certain guys to think about places they might go get barelled.....if all they can come up with is SS or D-bah then they'll deal with crowds....if they can think outside the square they'll surf with fcuk all people.

I was on the Goldy mid-late 80's when the Southport/Nerang River bypass system was first put in. The first year was bliss....less than a dozen crew out. Second year the crowd grew exponentially, especially when the bloke started ferrying people over. It was a shitfight long before internet forecasting was even a tiny little hard-on in a nerd's y-fronts.
Same goes for D bacle.

I think down here mid week crowds are actually getting smaller due to bigger social factors : higher cost of servicing a mortage, not as many crew on the dole surfing etc etc (Byron not included).
I'm still staggered over how many times after tipping marquee beachies I rock up to one closeby and there's no-one fcuking out......
Most of the mid-week crew here are semi-retirees from the Big Smoke who want nothing to do with a 6foot barelling beachie...they'd rather ride a mal at the Pass.

PS..I probably won't say A-frame from now on....I'll think of a more obscure term.
I understand what your saying steve but to agree with your comment that 14 year old's wouldnt know what a marquee beach break is - surely these 'certain guys' must know where to go to get barrelled in certain conditions forecasted and if they dont well then they dont deserve to get barrelled.

The only thing that you are doing by dropping specific names, locations or regions is getting more guys to go to these marquee locations.

I guess what I am really saying is deal the cards and let people play them how they want.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Of course Steve may be talking up the marquee beachies knowing that all the unadventurous types will go there, leaving the quiet beach up the road, quiet!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm still fecked as to what a bloody marquee beachbreak actually is?

Am I that stupid or am I just completely missing the forest for the trees?

(Feel free to PM me and put me out of my misery!!)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:49 pm

Actually I started using the word marquee as a piss-take after hearing Roy and HG use it in reference to rugby league players.
Don....look at the dictionary mate...a marquee something is a "flagship of the fleet" kind of deal.(actually only really applicable to athletes but I thought the cross-pollination was acceptable).

And Roundy, as an iron rule I never name spots.....yes I say regions as in "the southern Gold Coast or "Northern NSW pointbreaks" but these cover so many spots as to be just broad guidelines.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Thanks Steve. After my last post I wikipedia'ed marquee and saw the reference to an athelete and figured it may have similar conatations.

Can't really see what Roundy's problem is really. With that reference (marquee), it doesn't say anything about locations.