Indo/WA next week

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Indo/WA next week

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Feck me, is anyone heading to Indo or WA next week? Some solid swell hitting both places early-mid next week with Indo seeing swell periods approaching the 20 second mark!!!!

puurri
Owl status

Re: Indo/WA next week

Post by puurri » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Are you a fluffer for tourist operations?

AZ
regular

Post by AZ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Ha- I don't think Don is pushing anyones wagon. Pretty good set up for a solid run of swell for Indo, WA, SA and Vic next week. Fingers crossed for decent winds down here.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

So ya reckon that swell will even get into Vicco Alex? I would have thought she'd be a little too Westerly in direction....but hey with a period of that nature perhaps she'll wrap around there?

Although me thinks you may well be looking at the "other" side of the Vicco coast, yeah?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Also, how much confidence do ya have in the charts for the local synoptic winds down your way next Tuesday and Wednesday?

I also have a vested interest in these same charts up my way as well (hence the question!!!).

AZ
regular

Post by AZ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey Don, looks like the swell will have two components. There was a low that passed under South Africa on Monday, producing 60kt+ winds - hence the 20 second periods you're seeing on the swell charts. This system will be followed up by another large low that won't be quite as intense (but still very strong winds) but producing a much more sustained fetch as it tracks east past Heard Island mid to late this week. Given this second fetch will be closer, Vic should see plenty of benefit. Where I surf faces due SW, so should see 6-8ft+ surf by mid next week.

Regarding the charts, both EC and GFS look fairly similar for Monday and Tuesday, with a high near the Bight and a broad low pressure trough forming over southern NSW. Even though the charts are quite similar for early next week, they're dependent on how that small cut-off low development plays out later this week near WA - so I'd still be a bit hesitant to say what winds will be early next week.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Looking very juicy indeed.

Hows Monday in WA shaping up :shock: :shock:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:18 am

AZ wrote:Hey Don, looks like the swell will have two components. There was a low that passed under South Africa on Monday, producing 60kt+ winds - hence the 20 second periods you're seeing on the swell charts. This system will be followed up by another large low that won't be quite as intense (but still very strong winds) but producing a much more sustained fetch as it tracks east past Heard Island mid to late this week. Given this second fetch will be closer, Vic should see plenty of benefit. Where I surf faces due SW, so should see 6-8ft+ surf by mid next week.
Good stuff. I hope the winds are favourable for you down there.
AZ wrote:Regarding the charts, both EC and GFS look fairly similar for Monday and Tuesday, with a high near the Bight and a broad low pressure trough forming over southern NSW. Even though the charts are quite similar for early next week, they're dependent on how that small cut-off low development plays out later this week near WA - so I'd still be a bit hesitant to say what winds will be early next week.
Ahhhhh, that explains the model back flips between W/SW and S'ly winds for us up here on Tuesday/Wednesday of next week. I'm praying more so for the former!!

Thanks Alex.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:38 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Looking very juicy indeed.

Hows Monday in WA shaping up :shock: :shock:
Very nice indeed :D

Cough, cough, splutter, must be coming down with a bug hitting Monday :lol:

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Maybe not so good no, on shores forecast (NW the devil wind :( )

Swell arrived this morning, tiny with a loooong period, in the last hour before dark it pulsed, very straight at the regular reef, very punchy and very fast.

Tomorrow will be good-I hope :D

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 pm

OddaP wrote:Maybe not so good no, on shores forecast (NW the devil wind :( )

Swell arrived this morning, tiny with a loooong period, in the last hour before dark it pulsed, very straight at the regular reef, very punchy and very fast.

Heading up north for it mate or down south? Wouldnt mind seeing what this swell does up at The Bluff. Think Occy is on his way up there with Parko at the moment
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:40 pm

LONGINUS wrote:
OddaP wrote:Maybe not so good no, on shores forecast (NW the devil wind :( )

Heading up north for it mate or down south? Wouldnt mind seeing what this swell does up at The Bluff. Think Occy is on his way up there with Parko at the moment
I could only manage 1 sick day so surfed fairly near home- a reefbreak (the regular) north of Perth.

Thick, powerful and solid for our neck of woods, still long period, heaps of grunt and not really dropping.

Bouys at peaked just over 3m @ 16 secs 8) Unfortunately for the regular reef just a tad too big.

South was a write off with the winds, the further north you could go the better it would get.