Global Warming

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:55 am

vb wrote:Sorry, make that the 21 st of Dec
The start of Solstice. Day before my B'day.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 am

the latest on this...according to SMH yesterday...

Apparently the US government want the UN to change their draft report on climate change.The govt is apparently claiming the report doesnt highlight the positive aspects of climate change (extreme tan anyone?) and they believe the report is 'kyoto-centric'.

If you ask me its just another lame attempt by the US govt to avoid taking action on the matter.

But if you want solutions...scientists are currently working on a couple e.g mirrors in outer space to deflect the rays which are coming into the hole in the ozone layer which are causing the earth to heat up.

and on a tangent here: it's pretty shite that the australia solar energy company decided to switch base to the US! :evil: that will surely turn into a profit-hungry sausage fest :roll:

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:40 am

stop farting chameress! that may help gloabl warming hehehe
in all seriousness we are doomed!!!!!
who is gonna stop the great US, china, indian industrial arms? who is gonna stop driving cars down the coast or cathcing a plane to a tropical surf destination? the machine has started and cannot be stopped. we are addcited to coal, petrol and other energy. its modern societys heroin. we will continue to pollute and destroy the earth til the end. just enjoy the ride cause the end is nigh!

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:50 am

what an uplifting post :roll: :lol:

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 am

life aint all peaches and cream chamber..........
you show me a solution and I will show you optimism

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:35 am

solution :arrow: sew up your mouth and your bum hole :lol:

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:30 pm

and you stop voting for john howard chamber!!!!!!!! dont deny it i know u did

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:11 pm

i'll never vote for johnny howard you hear...neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrrrr :evil:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:56 pm

I remember reading about how the dinosaurs' cars and factories caused the last global warming episode that caused their eventual demise millions of years ago. It was their lifestyles, not naturallly changing weather cycles that caused all that damage.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 am

maybe people should start listening to scientists instead of politicians (or anyone else with an agenda) to get the real facts :idea:

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:38 am

maybe we should...........however the newspapers, television and radio will always continue to push political agendas to the masses. with the changes to media laws this will only happen to a greater extent

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:51 am

^^^
agreed

in a perfect world this issue would never have arisen in the first place.unfortunately what we are seeing taking place is a battle of the economists v scientists.

the economists are advising Bush to back off because it will become a very costly issue to attend to, and the scientists have been silenced by those in power so despite the warnings given, their reports continue to be edited by the government to such an extent as to almost absolve the government from taking any action altogether.

power in numbers...that's the only way to overcome this

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:50 am

though times are truly dark, don't despair, especially when business and industry get behind green ideas......if there's $$$$ to be made, you won't believe the amount of progress we'll see occur in short order:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business ... 2007012614

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:19 am

another :idea:

Now I love buying these and putting em in before the missus comes home and as soon as she comes in the house she'll notice and the next day she change em back to the ones she likes, the incandesent ones :arrow: now I've tried most of the ones on the market and I can't get them past her, anyone know of any that produce a more natural light that I might be able to get past the missus :?:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am

munch wrote:anyone know of any that produce a more natural light that I might be able to get past the missus :?:
Munchkins, try the GE ‘Warm White’... we received some in one of the those giveaway packs... I use a 15 watt (75w equiv) in the office and it is noice, but it has an open weave cane shade that possibly warms it up a bit further.

Just looking at the pack and there is also a ‘cool white’ and ‘daylight’ version.

If she doesn’t like one of the above then get rid of her. :twisted:

Alternatively, try turning the lights off. 8)

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:08 pm

Heard on the radio this week some knuckle head claims to have done research and can prove "our lifestyles" CAUSED global warming. Our lifestyles isn't a direct quote but you get my drift. Factories, CFCs, car exhaust etc being the main blame. No mention of naturally occuring weather patterns and cycles. I'm sure the dinosaurs' cars and factories and deoderant sprays was the CAUSE of the last ice age. I would say we aint helping the situation, definately, but to say we are the sole CAUSE - remove thy head from thy butthole. Ps I didn't read the actual report in full, just got the media coverage bits.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:39 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
munch wrote:anyone know of any that produce a more natural light that I might be able to get past the missus :?:
Munchkins, try the GE ‘Warm White’... we received some in one of the those giveaway packs... I use a 15 watt (75w equiv) in the office and it is noice, but it has an open weave cane shade that possibly warms it up a bit further.
Will do :arrow: though we don't have of those hippy lamp shades, only frosted glass, so it might be a bit harder.
ric_vidal wrote:If she doesn’t like one of the above then get rid of her. :twisted:
we all need a good brake in our lives ;) :roll:
ric_vidal wrote:IAlternatively, try turning the lights off. 8)
:idea:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:57 am

From The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/14 ... _heresies/

Freeman Dyson: Climate models are rubbish; More science, less hysteria please
By Andrew Orlowski

British-born physicist Freeman Dyson has revealed three "heresies", two of which challenge the current scientific orthodoxy that anthropogenic carbon causes climate change.

"The fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated," writes Dyson in his new book Many Colored Glass: Reflections on the Place of Life in the Universe, published on Wednesday. He pours scorn on "the holy brotherhood of climate model experts and the crowd of deluded citizens who believe the numbers predicted by the computer models".

"I have studied the climate models and I know what they can do. The models solve the equations of fluid dynamics, and they do a very good job of describing the fluid motions of the atmosphere and the oceans. They do a very poor job of describing the clouds, the dust, the chemistry, and the biology of fields and farms and forests," writes Dyson.

Biomass holds the key to carbon, he writes - leaving us to infer that he thinks the human contribution is negligible. Overall, Dyson issues a plea for more scientific research into the behaviour of the planet's biomass.

"Many of the basic processes of planetary ecology are poorly understood. They must be better understood before we can reach an accurate diagnosis of the present condition of our planet," he says.

"We do not know whether intelligent land management could increase the growth of the topsoil reservoir by four billion tons of carbon per year, the amount needed to stop the increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. All we can say for sure is that this is a theoretical possibility and ought to be seriously explored."

That's the first heresy - and it's not the first time he's made it. For several years, Dyson has argued that the carbon religion is self-indulgent, when there are more urgent, fixable problems to face:

"I'm not saying the warming doesn't cause problems, obviously it does," he told students two years ago. "Obviously we should be trying to understand it. I'm saying that the problems are being grossly exaggerated. They take away money and attention from other problems that are much more urgent and important. Poverty, infectious diseases, public education, and public health. Not to mention the preservation of living creatures on land and in the oceans."

The second heresy is that "warming" might not be such a bad thing.

"If we could choose between the climate of today with a dry Sahara and the climate of 6,000 years ago with a wet Sahara, should we prefer the climate of today? My second heresy answers yes to the first question and no to the second. It says that the warm climate of 6,000 years ago with the wet Sahara is to be preferred, and that increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere may help to bring it back. I am not saying that this heresy is true. I am only saying that it will not do us any harm to think about it."

The third heresy, you can read for yourselves here: http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/e ... tml#dysonf. It's not such a heresy as the other two, but how long those remain heresies is a moot point. Dyson can expect another round of crucifixion with the predictable chorus that he's not a climate "scientist".

His contention, that the models aren't really science when they're programmed to produce the expected results, will no doubt be overlooked.