Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

User avatar
Thud
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Sat May 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Picked up and had a quick ride on the Takayama Mini. Haven't felt a board like this. Really thin flat deck and even rail but with a noticeable rocker. Must be hard to shape.

Need to ride further before reporting but its velvety through the water, can take a drop and has the most insane biting bottom turn. So far so good. It's for head high to double head high but I enjoyed it in the 3ft stuff.
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.

User avatar
marauding mullet
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 5601
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: an upside down valiant

Re: Midlengths

Post by marauding mullet » Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Length?
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
smnmntll wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm
Yum x 1000

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6814
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Midlengths

Post by Cranked » Sun May 20, 2018 4:18 am

I had a Takayama Egg, 7'10, hull, knifey pinched rails.

Thought I might be able to push it at size in the bukit. That wasn't the case. McCoys don't care what size, how critical, or how fast - they love it and just ask for more, no limits. Remarkable boards.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
Thud
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Sun May 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Yeh, I'd say this 7ft Mini has a bit more performance than the other model. It's designed for decent surf. But you never know.

McCoys. Well. McCoys. One day I'll try one and probably love it.
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.

JaM71
Local
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Thud wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:53 pm
Yeh, I'd say this 7ft Mini has a bit more performance than the other model. It's designed for decent surf. But you never know.

McCoys. Well. McCoys. One day I'll try one and probably love it.
If you enjoy the thin bitey rails, then no, you probably won’t enjoy the McCoy! What fins are you using in your mini special?
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

User avatar
Thud
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Sun May 20, 2018 5:02 pm

DT 2+1 set up. 6 1/2 centre.
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Midlengths

Post by saltman » Sun May 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Thud wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:03 pm
Picked up and had a quick ride on the Takayama Mini. Haven't felt a board like this. Really thin flat deck and even rail but with a noticeable rocker. Must be hard to shape.

Need to ride further before reporting but its velvety through the water, can take a drop and has the most insane biting bottom turn. So far so good. It's for head high to double head high but I enjoyed it in the 3ft stuff.
That sounds just what I want from that style board
Keen to understand more
Bottom contours ?
Tail rocker?
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

User avatar
Thud
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm

saltman wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:30 pm
Thud wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:03 pm
Picked up and had a quick ride on the Takayama Mini. Haven't felt a board like this. Really thin flat deck and even rail but with a noticeable rocker. Must be hard to shape.

Need to ride further before reporting but its velvety through the water, can take a drop and has the most insane biting bottom turn. So far so good. It's for head high to double head high but I enjoyed it in the 3ft stuff.
That sounds just what I want from that style board
Keen to understand more
Bottom contours ?
Tail rocker?
"It’s a low rocker egg with a mid-volumed template. Not speedy, not bulbous like a mini-tanker. It has pinched rails and vee. Can be two-plus-one widowmaker, single or tri, making it super versatile"

The vee is subtle and the tail rocker isn't heavily pronounced. On land it's a very heavy board board but lightens up significantly in the water and is suprisingly easy to duck dive. It's like nothing I've ever ridden. I have another 2+1 7ft and it's thicker into low rail with a 7 inch centre and that's more like riding a larger older thurster.

The foil on the mini is pretty even and the board is like pizza base even through the middle 4ft of the board. I'm reasonably heavy and ride the 2 3/4 x 21 1/4. It has plenty but seems to work well. I've ridden it once for a quicky and can't wait to get back onto it for the head high stuff that should hit this week.

Probably the two boards I'll ride most in Autumn and Winter, then back to 6ft fish with a little performance.
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.

JaM71
Local
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm

I think it’s the “Bodega Boardriders” podcast which has a good interview with Devon Howard talking eggs. Well worth a listen
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

User avatar
Thud
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Totes. But I thought he was a little apologetic about riding a middie at J Bay
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.

JaM71
Local
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Different times I guess, let us know how u go on the Howard mini. I have fondled a few in Byron & almost pulled the trigger a couple of times.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

User avatar
Thud
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Mon May 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Rode it today. Really nice on the back hand.

*To me it feels like a bonzer egg with a little more versatility. Took some fast late drops today with aplomb and raced the typical close outs until finality. Fun as fuschia. Won't surf it after winter until next March as I don't think it's s board you'd want to ride year round.

* I did say above it's like nothing I've ever ridden. I lied.
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.

User avatar
Thud
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3351
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Midlengths

Post by Thud » Fri May 25, 2018 11:23 am

marauding mullet wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 pm
Length?
7ff
The good deeds a man has done before defend him.

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20201
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Midlengths

Post by Trev » Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 pm

Thud wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:23 am
marauding mullet wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 pm
Length?
7ff
Can't be.
There's no 7ft in the Iggy Standard.
#sixfeetissixfeet!

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Midlengths

Post by saltman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:50 pm

New mid length in the making
Attachments
73.jpg
73.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 370 times
73a.jpg
73a.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 370 times
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

Jorgo
Local
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The Points up North

Re: Midlengths

Post by Jorgo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:18 am

Dims Salty...and plan shape pic be nice..gonna be a 2+1 or single or...

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Midlengths

Post by saltman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 am

7’4” x 21,25 x 2.75
The bay photo I took doesnt Represent the shape
This is a close likeness
Attachments
74CF25E9-3365-4FD2-8EC0-23F064061301.jpeg
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

User avatar
saltman
Owl status
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: a short walk up the beach

Re: Midlengths

Post by saltman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 am

Bottom flat to very slight concave in the nose only
Then Vee entire length
With Double concave inside the Vee through the fins and tail
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests