skateboarding ...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Re: skateboarding ...

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Last edited by Slobadan Madicubich on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Good point, uuh ... spring steel knees and ankles.
Cast iron falls more trippingly from the tongue though.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am

I was recently gifted a mint reissue Vision board, 80's style- beautiful big kicker, just great lines.

The best thing about it is it has 76mm wheels. The thing is fcuking insane, push it once and you are rolling for metres. Downhill it gets seriously quick, seriously quickly. The kids have suddenly had a breakthrough after trying to skate on modern street wheels, this thing is a terrain munching beast, although it can be pretty dangerous on a slope.

I tried it out at Helensburgh and can tell you it is without doubt the most fun I have had on a board in 20 years.

As a surfer it just flows so well, so similar to a surfboard. The back trucks are kinda loose, I haven't messed with it yet but I'm actually loving it- feels like a snowboard hybrid.

Unreal, I'll be skating this thing well into my 60's, hopefully! 😜
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 pm

This young girl is pretty impressive

https://www.facebook.com/13985185271255 ... 39?sfns=mo

Just like snowboarding but on concrete
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:25 am

Wyre wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am
I was recently gifted a mint reissue Vision board, 80's style- beautiful big kicker, just great lines.

The best thing about it is it has 76mm wheels. The thing is fcuking insane, push it once and you are rolling for metres. Downhill it gets seriously quick, seriously quickly. The kids have suddenly had a breakthrough after trying to skate on modern street wheels, this thing is a terrain munching beast, although it can be pretty dangerous on a slope.

I tried it out at Helensburgh and can tell you it is without doubt the most fun I have had on a board in 20 years.

As a surfer it just flows so well, so similar to a surfboard. The back trucks are kinda loose, I haven't messed with it yet but I'm actually loving it- feels like a snowboard hybrid.

I've been thinking about going back down that road.

post a photo?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 am

steve shearer wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:25 am
Wyre wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am

I've been thinking about going back down that road.

post a photo?
I got one of these, so easy to roll around on.

Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:52 am

i just built this little ripper for the local bowl, ramps and pool. it's been pure stoke. 8.0 rodriguez, 54mm bones blanks, 148's thunder trucks. zealous bearings.

touched the coping (not quite grinded it) in the 10ft pool this week. i nearly came off in the transition. not sure i've been that scared in a lonnnnnng time. hahha

a mate's son dropped into the 14ft vert ramp this week. this thing has about 3ft of vert. that's the everest i wanna climb. lol

Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:18 am

Seriously though braithy, put some pads on. Anything over a six foot transition and I’m the full robocop and to hell with the sneers of the elastic boned youth
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:07 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:52 am
i just built this little ripper for the local bowl, ramps and pool. it's been pure stoke. 8.0 rodriguez, 54mm bones blanks, 148's thunder trucks. zealous bearings.

touched the coping (not quite grinded it) in the 10ft pool this week. i nearly came off in the transition. not sure i've been that scared in a lonnnnnng time. hahha

a mate's son dropped into the 14ft vert ramp this week. this thing has about 3ft of vert. that's the everest i wanna climb. lol

Had your first decent slam yet?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Pad up Braithwaite. Sooner or later, momentarily you’ll forget you’re on concrete and think you’re on water. For example, you might try blowing the tail on a backhand grind then suddenly realise that concrete don’t budge.
Sniff wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:30 pm

Yep, what Iggy said.

Especially once you start wanting to tap the coping, your board will get hung up the 1st 50 times or so.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm

And Braithy, from what you’ve told us, you don’t seem immune to sports-related injuries.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:13 pm
Pad up Braithwaite. Sooner or later, momentarily you’ll forget you’re on concrete and think you’re on water. For example, you might try blowing the tail on a backhand grind then suddenly realise that concrete don’t budge.
you reckon i can get away with just knee pads?

other than some big drops i'm not doing anything extreme. some big fakies on the 7-footer is about as wild as i've gotten. haven't even tried to go backhand yet except for a few fades off the copping here & there.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Knee pads are fine for drop ins, but it's when you start tapping, or going above, the coping when you have less control over fall direction and need elbow and wrist pads and helmet.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:28 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:37 pm
Hatchnam wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:13 pm
you reckon i can get away with just knee pads?

other than some big drops i'm not doing anything extreme. some big fakies on the 7-footer is about as wild as i've gotten. haven't even tried to go backhand yet except for a few fades off the copping here & there.
Dude. Pad up. Concrete is no joke. I’ve had breaks, concussion. Seen all manner of horrible snaps, blood, etc
Sniff wrote:

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:44 pm

I think surfing ruins you for backside skating. The give of a wave, the water displacement and extension you can do ends up with you trying to push your top turn too hard on hard concrete, ending up as a surfer with concussion.

Maybe wear a Gath to let other skaters know you surf, man. That'd be cool, right?
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:25 pm

The biggest thing to adjust to with going from surfing to skating bowls is remembering to push ‘off’ rather than through. Aside from that, I reckon both compliment each other in many ways. Picking lines, keeping consistent speed, timing and reaction, etc.

It’s been about two years since I’ve skated transition. Braithy has inspired me to get back into it again. There’s a tonne of skate bowls within relative short distance from where I live. No excuse not to start back up.
Sniff wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Are you skating half pipes or bowls set ups?

Bowls translate a lot better to surfing.