Single fin shortboards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

tootr
Snowy McAllister

Re: Single fin shortboards

Post by tootr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 pm

That short little stabby cutback thing.
Not pretty.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna
"Drailed" wrote: Go Eastern Suburbs!! Yaaaayyyyyy!!!

alakaboo
Duke Status

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:24 pm

I knew Peter Garrett surfed, but pegged him as taller.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Yeah it’s not my cup of tea. I like single fin surfing to look like single surfing. Though he’d probably have shown up any of the contenders in the pro Maldives single fin comps, as they’re all really just surfing thruster lines but with one fin. I’d still be keen to have a go on one. They look pretty fun and tripped out.
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

buddy
barnacle

Post by buddy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Was someone talking about the Phil Myers sideways singles in here? Unridden one for $350.
Pretty short at 5'6, but still packing 28L. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/11975262 ... source=sms

tootr
Snowy McAllister

Post by tootr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:33 pm

That’s a gift. For someone more petite than I.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Sometimes I visit here and feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into a gay sauna

saltman
Owl status

Post by saltman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm

buddy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 pm
Was someone talking about the Phil Myers sideways singles in here? Unridden one for $350.
Pretty short at 5'6, but still packing 28L. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/11975262 ... source=sms
I was in sideways today and had a look at them
Geez they pack some volume all the way out to the rails
Chunky +
smnmntll wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 am
Look, OK, cards on the table. I fcuked my father up the arse. It was in the car immediately following my mother's funeral and on the way to the wake.

buddy
barnacle

Post by buddy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:54 pm

saltman wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm
buddy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 pm
I was in sideways today and had a look at them
Geez they pack some volume all the way out to the rails
Chunky +
Flat deck with a beak nose?

Maybe it would go alright for me then. My shorties are usually around 27-28L.

I could imagine surfing it in 2-3ft clean, hollow points.

tootr
Snowy McAllister

Post by tootr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Arent those meant to be faithful to the late 70’s Col Smith boards?

I’m waiting for a bigger one, say 6.8 to pop up on The Gumtree. It’s a ‘like to have’ rather than ‘must have’ board.

saltman
Owl status

Post by saltman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:59 am

Didn’t get a good look at the nose as they were hanging up
Rails were very 70s
If they are based on the Col Smith boards
That makes some sense. Col Smith used a coke can wrapped in sandpaper to cut his channels and that’s what these look like
They are not nearly as refined as the free flight channel bottoms I see at the laminators
smnmntll wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 am
Look, OK, cards on the table. I fcuked my father up the arse. It was in the car immediately following my mother's funeral and on the way to the wake.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:09 am

This is probably a nick Carroll question but - why the channels running so far up the board? Just seems that unless you’re winding the board out at top speed on a point break then all that’s going to do is limit the board. The Parmenter way of including channels, in the tail only seems more versatile in wave type and turn angles.

steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

JaM71
Local

Post by JaM71 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Jack Knight from Harvest surfboards shapes a single fin with Jim Pollard influenced curved channels which run from nose to tail. Trippy but he has been doing them for decades..... I know this doesn’t answer your question Hatchy but I to am curious, hopefully someone can chip in and explain, cheers
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

buddy
barnacle

Post by buddy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm

I find it interesting that Phil's sideways models have the hard edge channels and his customs are rolled.
In this interview https://www.swellnet.com/news/talking-h ... phil-myers he states:
Your channel bottoms are eye-catching, all those angles and spines, yet you don’t like sharp edges, right?
Yeah, I don't really like hard-edged channels. I did a board years back and I resined up the edges and everything to see what the difference was and I didn’t like it. These days, when you run your hand over one of my channel bottoms it’s not hard and sharp anywhere, it’s not like a simple concave of course, but the channels rolls from one to the other, and for me that’s the secret. Nothing dominates the board. The channels create lift and drive, speed and all the rest of it, and they can feel flighty through the lip, but there’s no catch.