Coconut Spray; The Niugini Experience

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: Butts, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Coconut Spray; The Niugini Experience

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 pm

So any feedback, Jet?

JET01
charger

Post by JET01 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am

Sorry boys,

Been offline for a while.

After the trip it went flat in sydney so I spent my Xmas break fishing and spending time with the family.

Long story short. Can’t wait to go back. Great place to relax. Food was top knotch. SP lager is literally the worst i’ve tasted in the world (after 12 years in the navy, i’ve had a few shit beers). Go the export variety and make sure you drink it quick while it’s cold. Now that’s the important stuff.

The surf: don’t go here if you’re expecting Indo-like waves. It’s just not that kind of place.
We got unlucky. WSW wind/weather system pretty much the whole time which meant we had a to drive down the coast of Kavieng most days to get a wave. There are a few breaks scattered down the coast. All the breaks on Kavieng didn’t get over 2ft the whole time. Got tubed on a bodyboard most of the time I was there.
We got Pikinini for short surf. 2-3ft, sketchy as. Wasn’t the greatest.
Surfed Nago left by myself one arvo got about 15 waves in 45mins. Would love to see this wave with a bit of size on it. Borrowed a 7’2 single fin egg from the resort and had a bit of fun cruising around on the fat outside section before grabbing a rail on the more bowly inside section. Can’t wait to get back to this wave.

We did a couple of fishing trips, picked up a small mackerel. Threw some lures for GT’s, nothing.
Drank a heap of Gin in a hammock. Read a book. Did some yoga.
Beds were comfy. And mozzie nets were in good nick so I didn’t get a single bite the whole time.
Went home with a massive smile on my face after being reminded just how lucky and how much we have in Australia.

Happy to answer any specific questions.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:51 am

JET01 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am
SP lager is literally the worst i’ve tasted in the world (after 12 years in the navy, i’ve had a few shit beers). Go the export variety and make sure you drink it quick while it’s cold.
When I was flying to PNG in the early 1990s, we would take off from Cairns and as soon as the seatbelt sign went out the 'call the hostie' buttons would go off - ''bing, bing, bing, bing, bing' all up and down the plane. The hosties would just come down with a tray of SPs and all the PNG guys would take one off the tray.

15 minutes later 'bing, bing, bing'

30 minutes 'bing, bing. bing'

A few guys got loud but never saw any real issues.

so no crowds on your trip?

JET01
charger

Post by JET01 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm

No crowds. For two reasons.
1. The surf management plan seems to be honoured by everyone. We heard stories of machete wielding locals literally walking out onto the reef if they hadn’t been paid their cut of the surf tourism cash.
2. The resort wasn’t full, and it was a very good thing in this case.

Most days we had breakfast, got our gear together for a day trip, put it all in the boat, went over to the mainland, threw it all in the back of the truck (the one they pick you up in the airport from) then do the 70km drive down to the right hander. Surf for a couple of hours. Eat lunch out of the esky. Drink a coconut or two. Get back in the truck. Lay on the bean bag, stare into the jungle waving at the locals. Stop for beers about half way at one of the beer stores on the right hand side. Head home for some relaxation in the arvo. Played a bit of ping pong in the bar area.

If you’re thinking about getting a group together to head over, it’s handy to have a bloke with truck license. Gives you more options on the vehicles. Some of the days can be self drive, they’ll send one of the resorts boat drivers with you for the day just in case something happens while you’re out. Not all of the employees have truck licenses though.

Make sure you get your full duty free allowance on the way over. Helps keep the cost down if you’re a big drinker.

I love the place and can’t wait to go back. I’ve decided that when I’m over the hill, this will be where I go on surf trips. Most of the waves we surfed are longboard friendly and the fishing is usually pretty good too.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Sounds great- I’m both already over the hill and only competent enough for longboard waves.

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm

All fun and games until you are shot with a bow and arrow , tied to a tree and made to watch your wife or girlfriend being gang raped by fifteen tribesmen.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable