Strahan tassie

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Strahan tassie

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Looking at making a possible permanent move to tassie. Moving to Queenstown which is 40 minutes to Strahan. Does anyone know about the surf at ocean beach?? Sounds like it’s a bit of hit and miss. Considering the trip from gympie to Noosa is about 40 min it’s not to far from the surf I suppose.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Strahan tassie

Post by Cranked » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Strahan Long-term Averages
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Mean Max (°C)
20.5 21.3 19.5 17.0 14.8 12.5 12.1 12.7 14.1 16.0 17.8 19.1 16.4
Mean Min (°C)
10.6 10.6 9.8 8.8 7.4 5.5 4.8 5.3 6.4 7.2 8.3 9.6 7.8
Mean Rain (mm)
102.3 65.3 103.6 146.9 152.1 164.3 178.4 188.2 163.4 139.3 113.9 121.6 1636.7
Median Rain (mm)
98.4 61.3 87.6 152.5 134.2 157.5 173.4 191.2 163.7 117.2 112.5 107.8 1595.5
Mean Rain Days
17.3 12.9 16.7 19.5 20.1 21.7 22.7 23.5 21.9 19.8 17.9 18.0 231.1

Do you really want to live in a place with those stats
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:44 pm

diggerdickson wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm
Looking at making a possible permanent move to tassie. Moving to Queenstown which is 40 minutes to Strahan. Does anyone know about the surf at ocean beach?? Sounds like it’s a bit of hit and miss. Considering the trip from gympie to Noosa is about 40 min it’s not to far from the surf I suppose.
I've been to Strahan twice.
Both times the Roaring Forties were, well, Roaring.
Massive onshores. Foam everywhere. Breaking at least a kilometre out to sea.
Queenstown is a shit hole. The hills above are completely denuded, thanks to the mining.
But Strahan is beautiful.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:30 pm

I was down there a couple of years ago. Trev nailed it. Queenstown is like an alien planet.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Beggars can’t be choosers :(. It won’t be long till the rent is to high for us in gympie. Give it three years then we will be priced out. We can’t afford anywhere on the Sunshine Coast. With both of us as careers looking after our kids on the spectrum I don’t want to become homeless like all those others I met on the road. Rains a hell of a lot though hey.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm

There’s got to be some protected spots maybe

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 pm

That part of Tassie is pretty open to the weather, but that probably keeps the crowds and prices down. Braithy’s your Tassie man. He’ll fill you in.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:38 pm

diggerdickson wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm
Have a look at Google Earth. Doesn't look too protected.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Thinking I might go down for a weekend. Get some locals show me around, see what’s there, look at homes, Suss the services out, film it on go pro, and then seriously consider it. There’s always trial bay or further north when desperate for surf.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Cranked's stats look fine, digger. Rain and cold doesn't stop you doing anything, just make sure you get everyone the right clothing, the right thickness wetsuits. I was down the beach with the kids on Sunday in fact: 4 degrees and drizzle and they happily spent an hour and a half looking for shells, running around like idiots etc.

And of course, that variation in weather has other benefits too. Where the typical Australian is a one-note imbecile, an over-enthusiastic blob devoid of glib European-like analysis (hi Thud), largely because of the parched unchanging nature of his daily environment, your Tasmanian appreciates and adapts. Look at Braithy. Is he dull and uninteresting, set implacably on his humourless course? No sir, he is not! Show him a vicissitude and he will grab it in both hands, spend five thousand dollars on associated kit, milk it for all it's worth over two glorious weeks and then on to the next.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 pm

That's all true, godsave, but Queenstown in Tassie is a legit shithole, full of properly weird locals.

Digger have a look at the back blocks around Agnes.
Surf of a sort, fishing, and cheaper than Gympie.
Lots of blockies living in caravans and sheds.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 pm
Queenstown in Tassie is a legit shithole, full of properly weird locals.
If your looking for a community of like minded people you can easily assimilate into this is probably it.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:00 am

alakaboo wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 pm
That's all true, godsave, but Queenstown in Tassie is a legit shithole, full of properly weird locals.

Digger have a look at the back blocks around Agnes.
Surf of a sort, fishing, and cheaper than Gympie.
Lots of blockies living in caravans and sheds.
It’s the type of place where the girl behind the bar in the pub looks eerily similar to the girl in the supermarket, the guy at the servo, the girl at the cafe, the local cop, and well, pretty much every local.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 pm
Cranked's stats look fine, digger. Rain and cold doesn't stop you doing anything, just make sure you get everyone the right clothing, the right thickness wetsuits. I was down the beach with the kids on Sunday in fact: 4 degrees and drizzle and they happily spent an hour and a half looking for shells, running around like idiots etc.

And of course, that variation in weather has other benefits too. Where the typical Australian is a one-note imbecile, an over-enthusiastic blob devoid of glib European-like analysis (hi Thud), largely because of the parched unchanging nature of his daily environment, your Tasmanian appreciates and adapts. Look at Braithy. Is he dull and uninteresting, set implacably on his humourless course? No sir, he is not! Show him a vicissitude and he will grab it in both hands, spend five thousand dollars on associated kit, milk it for all it's worth over two glorious weeks and then on to the next.
Stoic, phlegmatic, these are the character traits that consistently bad weather inculcate. The result is being able to frolic happily on a 6c day in the mud with a fine drizzle and 100% cloud cover, wearing just a pair of budgy smugglers: this has made the doughty welsh what they are today.

But you know what, its fcuking depressing really, its just one long night of the soul, only relieved by a glimpse of the sun and a sparkling blue crystal ocean for just a few moments each year - just a fleeting glimpse of what life could be.

I say no! What lifts my mood are endless days of sunshine, offshores and perfect surf. In Bali I NEVER tire of it, dawn to dusk 300+ days a year, from 5:30am until 6:45pm, dramatic sunsets and then magical tropical nights - it makes my soul sing.

I'm not a stoic, I'm not resigned to a dull, drizzly, troglodyte existence, its time to throw of the dismal shackles and find your place in the sun Digger.... Agnes Waters
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:58 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm sure the blokes who shag sexbots convince themselves it's no different to a real life woman too :)

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:17 pm

diggerdickson wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm
Maybe look at Burnie or around that area.

Even in Tasmania they make jokes about Queenstown.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Have you checked out the east coast Digger?
Strahan, 'Kweenstn' - as they prefer to call it - and surrounds, are kinda borderline post nuclear sites.
Marrawah up in the north west is about as good as you can get surf wise. unless you spend yput time trawling the coast in a boat for snarky slabs.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Fcuk living there for a joke.