Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:01 am

My suspicion has always been that the emergence of a discrete fin market was a gloriously surprising golden goose for the surf industry. It's really not in their interests to restrict choice or to allow any suggestion of emperors new clothes hence the vast and confusing ranges of essentially the same thing and the pofaced magnificence of the futures ride number etc. For the man in the street it's mostly horseshit, of course, with the solution to the problem sought usually being surf more and spend less.
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:04 am

Also a nice revenue stream for surf stars to stick their names on.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 am

OK basic fin principles for the bemused purchaser:

Fins can fine tune a surfboard's performance but they can't overcome a surfboard's design deficiencies, so don't overthink 'em.

Generally speaking, the more complex a fin design, the less likely it is to work.

The wider the tail of a surfboard, the more fin volume is required to control it. Reverse with narrower tails.

The original 5 template made by FCS back in 1996 is just fine for pretty much any surfboard. The best FCS 5 template fin is the sanded finish PG5, the see through blue one. The best Futures 5-style template is the JJF fin.

Trust your surfing instincts on it, even if you are a shit surfer.

In my opinion and in the opinion of most good to excellent surfers of my acquaintance, fin systems >>> glass-ons.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 am

i discovered these fins. from all places cali, via scotland.

there was something really familiar in their feel. I swapped them for my old favourite fins AM2's ... compared to them, they're a little looser in the junk, but really have a lot more hold when the beachies and points go backless and when i find myself really surfing on my backfoot.

I was at a shapers house who used to shaped me boards in the late 90's and early 2000s (god bless him, the great man) ... he was keen to see what kinda boards i was riding. In my van I had a hi-perf 5'11" thinly foiled Emery based on what Mello rides, and a 5'10" Haydenshapes love buzz and the 9'3" log.

He took an instant liking to the love buzz's outline and rocker and fuller foil. But the fell in love with the fins. We dug around for 20 mins in his shed, and then he pulled out his very first fin templates ... back when the only option was glassed on fins.

Sure enough these luna's fit the old gold coast beachies and points every-dayer board's fin template to a T. literally identical. the base, the rake and foil.

the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 am

After stuffing around for a long time I've gone for a more upright, wider base, fuller tip:

Large for fronts and tri's, GX size for quad rears.

All done in old school glass, very stiff and only $50 for a 5 fin set from Indofins in Bali (at the Nirmalla mart in Ungasan). Hand made with a few slight imperfections, just reject the ones that are a bit too imperfect.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:23 am

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 am

there was something really familiar in their feel. I swapped them for my old favourite fins AM2's ... compared to them, they're a little looser in the junk, but really have a lot more hold when the beachies and points go backless and when i find myself really surfing on my backfoot.

I was at a shapers house who used to shaped me boards in the late 90's and early 2000s (god bless him, the great man) ... he was keen to see what kinda boards i was riding. In my van I had a hi-perf 5'11" thinly foiled Emery based on what Mello rides, and a 5'10" Haydenshapes love buzz and the 9'3" log.

He took an instant liking to the love buzz's outline and rocker and fuller foil. But the fell in love with the fins. We dug around for 20 mins in his shed, and then he pulled out his very first fin templates ... back when the only option was glassed on fins.

Sure enough these luna's fit the old gold coast beachies and points every-dayer board's fin template to a T. literally identical. the base, the rake and foil.

these are just Al Merrick's template renamed.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:08 pm

btw Sunset's gonna be v nice around Nov 30 for the World Cup thingo, WNW swinging NW maybe 6-8' with bigger sets

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:23 am
crabmeat thompson wrote:

slightly smaller rake, and slightly smaller base than the merricks.

i've done analysis.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:08 pm
btw Sunset's gonna be v nice around Nov 30 for the World Cup thingo, WNW swinging NW maybe 6-8' with bigger sets
you going?

my neighbour below and beside me are both going. both billabong riders, too.

but there's no crabmeat invitations. i can't fucken believe it, tbh ...
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:39 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:23 am
crabmeat thompson wrote:

slightly smaller rake, and slightly smaller base than the merricks.

i've done analysis.
By analysis do you mean putting them back to back, holding them at arms length and squinting intently ?

Just got some shapers AM2 fins, using the above method of in depth scientific analysis they look pretty much like my pc-7's but have a narrower tip.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 am

The WSL women at Honolua. There's some nice waves rolling thru, but just not enough of them for it to be very watchable. Unfortunate, because the title situation is very tight.
Last edited by foamy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:26 am

Watch sunset. Plenty more action.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:32 am

Looked at the report. A nice gentle 4-5 METRE swell.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 am

My favourite fins in the world are Scarfini fins! But only because the guy came to our place and we hung out and had fun - there's no other reason!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:37 am

I have a happy snap of me and Jonathan Scarfini somewhere. Will see if I can dig it up for Realsurf's fin lovers.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 am

It's around here somewhere, just a sec

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:39 am

So Billy Kemper called it 10 foot sunset and he's Hawaiian. Does that mean Hawaiian size is the same as Australian size these days?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 am

Al, next time you see Jonathan, ask him if he makes his own pasta.