The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Post by batoes » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 am

Beerfan wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:32 am
Get it sent on the weekly SA-NSW dope run :-D-:
:-)(

I once ordered a 'special' garlic bread at a pizza shop at Cronulla and then had to ask why the bill was $25 more expensive... :-o
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:07 am

Habibies on Oxford street "special menu"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:55 am

Secret herbs and spices cost extra :)

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Time to resurrect this thread.

Last year I mainly rode the Zots and my wave count in all wave sizes went up dramatically. I was suddenly in the game of pulling the primo waves in up to double overhead conditions in the B team line-up.

Towards the end of the year I bought two poly Nuggets, a 6'8 and a 7'4. I rode the 6'8 a couple of times and loved it, but forced myself onto the 7'4... bit of a dog I thought (small wave day), but the next day was double overhead so I, again, reluctantly, took it out and then had one of the best days surfing for decades.

I barely got off it for the next few weeks that were the end of the season for me.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Thrusters?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:51 pm

This year I brought just the Zots for the end of the wet season, but also brought along a Horan Star Fin.

Found it better than the Gulwing. Contradictorially, it seemed faster, and more stable and loose than the Gulwing.

The speed and looseness was amazing. But there were often times when I just couldn't control it. I would love to be able to control it in all conditions, but learning just wastes too many good waves. What a dilemma! And it makes me look (more) like an incomplete kook.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm
Thrusters?
Yep.

And I bought an 8' Nugget for the bigger days late last year. Probably give that a go later this year.

Oh man it will be so embarrassing riding such an ocean liner but getting the set waves of the day will make up for it I'm sure :-D-:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Was a guy doing alright on a tri fin nugget yesterday. Nothing fancy but everything looked easy

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm

I was thinking I might be doing something wrong when riding my Zots and then remembered Geoff had some foot position advice on his website.

So I checked it again and noted that he said 10% front foot and 90% back foot for the Nuggets, 30% front foot and 70% back foot for the Zots.

But what I hadn't noticed was that on the foot placement diagrams, surprisingly, the stance for the foot placement is FURTHER back for the Zot than the Nugget.

I'm pretty sure I have been riding the Zot too far forward. When riding a Nugget I never try a significant turn unless I can feel the deck grip under my rear foot, and preferably with my foot against the kicker.

I haven't consciously been doing this at all with the Zots, thinking erroneously that a stance further forward was correct

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm

My theory regarding feet position is, heel of front foot directly above apex of rocker which is also the apex of the dome, which is 2'' below 1/2 way on my 1995 pointy nose model McCoy .
Bouyancy to weight ratio of .6 of a litre per kilo of body weight is the perfect tuning that allows my feet to land in this position every time I jump to my feet.
Haven't rode this board for many years, lots of dings, dents and brown water damage, also the area under the loaded dome sticker has come away from the blank, but I recently got it out of the shed and ground off the 2 side fins and set it up for an assymetrical quad experiment using 4 of the tri plug fin boxes, these finboxes allow a full length single tab 75mm long, very strong.
Bought the fin boxes from the Shapers factory at Currumbin $7 each.
Fin layout is Mckee setup on forehand (right) side and on the cutback side (left)the fins are closer together, the rear fin is 50mm forward of the rear right fin.
First fin set up to try is standard size fin right front with bigger fin in the right rear finbox for drive.
Left side bigger fin front box and standard size in the rear box for cutbacks.

Also made a mold for making bonzer fins with the 75mm tab at an angle to fit in these finboxes , the plan is to try bonzer fins in the front fin boxes and upright fins in the rear boxes, then experiment with various combinations.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm
I was thinking I might be doing something wrong when riding my Zots and then remembered Geoff had some foot position advice on his website.

So I checked it again and noted that he said 10% front foot and 90% back foot for the Nuggets, 30% front foot and 70% back foot for the Zots.

But what I hadn't noticed was that on the foot placement diagrams, surprisingly, the stance for the foot placement is FURTHER back for the Zot than the Nugget.

I'm pretty sure I have been riding the Zot too far forward. When riding a Nugget I never try a significant turn unless I can feel the deck grip under my rear foot, and preferably with my foot against the kicker.

I haven't consciously been doing this at all with the Zots, thinking erroneously that a stance further forward was correct
Yep, that was the problem. Just plunked my foot against the tailpad kicker and let it rip. It turns on a dime, rear quad and rail ain't never gonna let go - and this was on the 7' Zot in sizable waves in critical situations. Hallelujah brothers

Must admit the just plain ornery and unpredictable nature of the gulwing had me just too tentative in really letting rip on these boards.

Makes you wonder about Geoff McCoy's knowledge of quads and their capabilities.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Heretic.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:41 pm
Time to resurrect this thread.

Last year I mainly rode the Zots and my wave count in all wave sizes went up dramatically. I was suddenly in the game of pulling the primo waves in up to double overhead conditions in the B team line-up.

Towards the end of the year I bought two poly Nuggets, a 6'8 and a 7'4. I rode the 6'8 a couple of times and loved it, but forced myself onto the 7'4... bit of a dog I thought (small wave day), but the next day was double overhead so I, again, reluctantly, took it out and then had one of the best days surfing for decades.

I barely got off it for the next few weeks that were the end of the season for me.
This sums it up for me, except that maybe I'm in the "C" team. :D

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 am

Just so you HPSB surfers know where you stand in the McCoy world view:

FRONT FOOT PRESURE - OLD FASHIONED MODERN SHORTBOARD
Front Foot 60% - Back Foot 40

BACK FOOT PRESSURE - FUTURISTIC NUGGET DESIGN
Front Foot 10% - 90% Of Weight On The Back Foot When Turning

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am

bizarre
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:55 am

no wonder 99% of the people riding mccoys look fking shithouse
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Like that clip of the bloke going fast but not totally in control and never burying a rail?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:21 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am
bizarre
If you compare the Nugget rider to the modern shortboard rider you will see that the Nugget rider definitely has the Dionysian hand jive thing going.