swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: swimming/paddling/misc water sports.

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Yeah look I have been coaching for a while now, I kinda feel welded to all the people I've coached. I feel there is a profound value in helping kids engage with something really difficult at that point in their lives. I don't expect anything from it for myself, I've had so much given to me already, it's v important I do as much giving as possible in this way.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Very few seem to make the transition from Nipper to Clubbie in the Eastern Suburbs. Great work, Nick...particularly up there. Seems like there's a lot of youth problems up that way.
Do they still have Cadet Life Savers these days?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:08 pm

No Cadets. That transition is handled badly, mostly because in most surf clubs there is a real dissonance between nipper organisation and normal club organisation. That's one of the things we targeted early and have made a part of our process. It's odd, a short moment in a life, but vital. North Bondi might get better at it now they have seen the success of Lizzie Welborn and her coach Scott Thompson, who is really special. I want to bleed some of what I am learning about this back into surfing at some point.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:58 pm
. The senior squad goes out and hammers 16k on the ski in 75 mins then comes back and runs 2k then does 6-7k on the board, then runs hills for 40mins.
There are times when I realise

A. my best training regime ever might not have been (definitely was not as ) as tough as I thought at the time.
B. no wonder I can't do things as well as these people
C. If I just run the 2k, I can say I'm doing a similar training program
D. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I can't even be bothered taking the stick from my mint choc magnum to the bin

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 pm

So the superchick is on the money for the Hawaii race. The last month has turned her into the gnarliest female board paddler in the squad by a country mile. We did a 6.5k racing mal set this arvo with the 17 and 19 boys and she just destroyed them. They were a bit flabbergasted, some of them have been paddling around her in iron sessions for a couple of years now and couldn't believe how powerful and fast she's become. It's funny, nobody in that race knows much about her, I was looking at the times of her opposition (the girls who have won the past three solo stock Molokais) and really, they'll be lucky if they even see her after the first half hour. It's cool helping an athlete blossom into their true selves like that. You only ever help them though, they do it all themselves.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 pm

That's pretty awesome. Hope she smashes it.

Does she know what she's capable of yet, or are you sheltering her from that?

I did some light gym work this evening, and one of the guys from work was in there at the same time.

He's about 5'9", a bit chunky and pear shaped, maybe 80 kilos. He rides to work but has the appearance of someone who has never done any sport at all. He sort of walks like he doesn't know how bodies work

He was on the last pulldown machine and was really straining to do 10 reps at 15kgs and I just can't really fathom how a grown man can have so little strength.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 am

well she doesn't know the race and she doesn't really know the others in her division, she does know (and trains with) some pretty hot shot paddlers though

she's learned a fair bit about what works for her and when her strong moments will be. Like she has found an acceleration point about 1 3/4 hrs into a paddle where she can lift and just hold a higher pace. It,s grown a bit stronger over the past month.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:03 pm

been jumping in the pool at sutho to rehab my back. you know your getting old when u get in the walking lanes lol
but its been real good. first day did about 400m swim and an hr and a 1/4 walking. got out and was amazed at how kinda jelly legged I was but also felt like it had worked my core. pretty much crab walked the whole time and did some stretches on lumbar after each lap. did an hr yesterday but went a bit harder and added another few hundred m of freestyle. back seems to be coming good fast. ill test it out with 5 days at perisher next week, then should be back in the water so prepare for a flat spell!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 pm

got those new sleds waxed up ?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 pm
got those new sleds waxed up ?

not yet, a mate just came over a had a good feel up of them and was very impressed. i still gotta get tail pads
and i reckon im gunna go front deck grip even though i got a block of fresh wax. i just reckon it locks your front foot
in way better. and no worries about old shitty wax, melting wax, forgetting wax etc, and your deck doesn't cave in as bad.
im in no rush be close to 2 months out by the time i get back in so will give the old boards a final run to get sea legs
back first.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:41 am

good on ya brendo. Here's a bit for your back/core strength and flexibility in the pool, get some fins and do some dolphin style butterfly kicking. You don't want the trick bodysurfing type fins though they'll do if you already have 'em, just the long straight sided pool fins are good. Push off underwater and do ten or twelve long deep slow butterfly kicks. Extend your arms and try to make the movement come from your chest down - like your head doesn't move, the undulation begins just below your rib cage. Work the movement up as well as down, your body will automatically kick down but it won't automatically do the opposing movement, which is the big trick with the dolphin kick. Breathe out, come to the surface, take a breath with a single arm freestyle stroke, and go back down and do maybe a half dozen kicks again, another breath etc till you get to the end. 30 sec break then go again. Maybe six laps like that.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:41 am
good on ya brendo. Here's a bit for your back/core strength and flexibility in the pool, get some fins and do some dolphin style butterfly kicking. You don't want the trick bodysurfing type fins though they'll do if you already have 'em, just the long straight sided pool fins are good. Push off underwater and do ten or twelve long deep slow butterfly kicks. Extend your arms and try to make the movement come from your chest down - like your head doesn't move, the undulation begins just below your rib cage. Work the movement up as well as down, your body will automatically kick down but it won't automatically do the opposing movement, which is the big trick with the dolphin kick. Breathe out, come to the surface, take a breath with a single arm freestyle stroke, and go back down and do maybe a half dozen kicks again, another breath etc till you get to the end. 30 sec break then go again. Maybe six laps like that.
thanks for the tip nick. I can get my missus to help me with that. shes former aus champ, beat petria Thomas a few times back in the day :wink:
im gunna squeeze in another hr this arvo walking/swimming. its really helped. Monday I was still struggling reaching past knees, now im pretty much
normal, some slight twangs. been doing a lot of foam and massage ball rolling with some light stretching as well. got an inversion table and that thing
is amazing. when I was in loads of pain 10 mins on that would relieve the pressure for an hr or so, but better than dumping ibuprofen endlessly. now im doing full inversion with situps really working my core as well. im kinda nervous about 5 days at the snow. its one thing to say yea ill take it easy, reality is though when you have a run off fresh cord in front of you in the morning its time to open the throttle!

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Don't forget the 'anti' core stuff - anti rotation, flexion etc. That is good for injury prevention (whereas flexion work is perhaps more relevant to atheletic activity)

https://www.t-nation.com/training/build ... human-core

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 am

Superchick killed Molokai, beat the men's stock winning time from two years ago. Stoked for her! Another Australian race: wins in men's and women's stock and unlimited and unlimited SUP, 14 of the top 20 prone finishers. Every record was broken.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 am

ctd wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:31 pm
Don't forget the 'anti' core stuff - anti rotation, flexion etc. That is good for injury prevention (whereas flexion work is perhaps more relevant to atheletic activity)

https://www.t-nation.com/training/build ... human-core
Thanks CTD, that looks interesting
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:41 am
good on ya brendo. Here's a bit for your back/core strength and flexibility in the pool, get some fins and do some dolphin style butterfly kicking.
Did this yesterday, have to say that every niggle and pain below the waist was highlighted! Not sure I did it right but zoomed along. Needed more than one breath at the end of each 'set'. Did 200m overall, its a nice way to break up the boringness of laps
Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 am
Superchick killed Molokai, beat the men's stock winning time from two years ago. Stoked for her! Another Australian race: wins in men's and women's stock and unlimited and unlimited SUP, 14 of the top 20 prone finishers. Every record was broken.
legend.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Jeez six weeks out from the Gold race.

Would you like to suffer horribly? Join me and the crew. Yesterday, early morning, full swim session with a 1500 kick-drill set and 100s on a 1.30 cycle until what felt like the end of the world

Then splendid! in the late afternoon, 19ks on the ski, 4-3-2 sets (4mins at 70%, 3mins at 80%, 2mins at 90%, 30 second breaks). Like paddling to Warriewood and back three times.

Emptied the tank, slept like a rather big baby.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:33 pm

That sounds really unpleasant Nick.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable