Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Quiver thread

Post by Cranked » Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Cranked wrote:Yeah great looking board.

Do they do one 6'6 x 21.5" x 3"

Now about fins guys!

Should fins be bigger or smaller for bigger waves?

What I've sometimes heard is bigger, for "control", but as the drag and lift goes up as the cube of the speed in water, it seems to me that smaller would be the go.

Opinions?
jesus fcuken h christ

If a fin set fits the board, leave 'em in.
I guess that's one for "fin size and design doesn't matter a fcuk with respect to wave size"

OK, noted. The question arose for me because I had just had quad fins added to a 6'1 and a 6'8 astron zot. I had chosen the largest front fins as Geoff had larger than large futures fins made specially for his Surftech Nuggets.

So the extra large fins worked perfectly for my 6'1 astron zot in small waves (waist to head), but seemed a bit stiff and harder to turn when I put them in the 6'8 in much faster head and a half to just under double.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun May 07, 2017 7:15 pm

the board matters, the fins have to fit the board. Once you find a set that fits the board, the combo works in whatever surf you wanna ride it in.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun May 07, 2017 7:23 pm

typically fin size relates to tail surface area, like if you are riding a broad tailed fishy type board, then more fin area is probably gonna be needed, and if you are riding a narrower tailed board (as most of us do in larger surf) then you'll be wanted less fin area ie smaller fins.

fins are basically a control/drag thing, bigger fins tend to interfere with a board's movements at higher speeds. When youre going faster, smaller fins tend to do a bigger job.

to me you always want to be trying to minimise fin size in any board, ie reduce as much drag as you can, but I know many of us really need the extra control and sometimes a bit of the drive provided by more fin area.

But I totally know that the board counts for more and the board is what you're trying to match with the fin set, not the wave.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun May 07, 2017 7:43 pm

OK, thanks Nick.

Obviously I was thinking wave size was the foremost criteria for fin selection, not the board design itself.

My dilemma for fin selection was compounded by the problem of going completely against the board designer's specification for the fins (which I'm very glad I did).

Although now that I've got a feel for the boards I'll certainly try Geoffs Gulwing again (and again)

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun May 07, 2017 8:23 pm

That's great news about the Zots, Cranked. It's a shame Geoff doesn't buckle with experimentation. I'd love a tiny zot or potbelly quad.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun May 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Yeah it really is. Thanks to SurfyWurfy too, it was his absolute conviction that decided me, and the $60 price tag per board also made it easy

They are both absolutely magic boards, but the 6"1 is the one. And I can try the Gulwing (and probably the winged keel as well) whenever I feel the need or get bored.

They are the TSA Darren Rogers ones though, pretty different to Geoffs designs: more gunny, no real dome, finer rails, less tail volume. So better suited to waves here in Bali. And now out of production! So get 'em while you can. One was $700, the other $800

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 am

Cranked wrote:Yeah it really is. Thanks to SurfyWurfy too, it was his absolute conviction that decided me, and the $60 price tag per board also made it easy

They are both absolutely magic boards, but the 6"1 is the one. And I can try the Gulwing (and probably the winged keel as well) whenever I feel the need or get bored.

They are the TSA Darren Rogers ones though, pretty different to Geoffs designs: more gunny, no real dome, finer rails, less tail volume. So better suited to waves here in Bali. And now out of production! So get 'em while you can. One was $700, the other $800
So Darren Rogers shapes those? I've heard they were different, but in a good way, especially the epoxy nuggets. Can't afford any more boards, but will keep an eye out for a second hander.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 am

I'm assuming its Darren only because they look more like what he does, and a comment from Geoff that he doesnt have much to do with TSA.

The first generation TSA nuggets looked like Geoff's shapes and the second gen nuggets and the zots looked like Darrens work. Don't have a clue about the zaps.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:Just got hooked up with this from a photographer mate.

5'10" x 19 1/8 x 2 1/2.

foiled out to medium rails, deepish double inside a deep single. flat entry into some generous tail lift.

it shall arrive midweek, and be a splendid time for all involved!

Looks sweet.

I've always wanted a free board... it's on my bucket list.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 pm

JET01 wrote:
crabmeat thompson wrote:Just got hooked up with this from a photographer mate.

5'10" x 19 1/8 x 2 1/2.

foiled out to medium rails, deepish double inside a deep single. flat entry into some generous tail lift.

it shall arrive midweek, and be a splendid time for all involved!

Looks sweet.

I've always wanted a free board... it's on my bucket list.
Ah... i had to pay. Just not a lot.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed May 10, 2017 6:59 am

crabmeat thompson wrote:Ah... i had to pay. Just not a lot.
With your body.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 am

With his mouth. Its the only way he knows.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed May 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Cranked wrote:I'm assuming its Darren only because they look more like what he does, and a comment from Geoff that he doesnt have much to do with TSA.

The first generation TSA nuggets looked like Geoff's shapes and the second gen nuggets and the zots looked like Darrens work. Don't have a clue about the zaps.
I seriously doubt Darren"Junior"Rogers is involved with the TSA shapes.He and GM parted ways around 5+ years ago????I'm not exactly sure of the timeframe but it seems a long time ago.
According to Browny(team rider) GM closely monitored TSA shapes and wasn't completely happy and re did them.

Geoff is finicky with what has his name on it.....He wasn't happy with Surftech(his 2nd worse decision of his life,so he told me) So TSA being based in Byron is a more comfortable fit. :shock:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed May 10, 2017 1:03 pm

It was only ever a supposition on my part. The first gen TSA nuggets were so different to the second it looked to me like different shapers had worked on them.

And the second gen were about five years ago

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:38 am

The Bleached Anus. That's a marketing gold mine right there.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu May 11, 2017 7:01 am

i might start shaping, just so i can release that model!
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:28 am

crabmeat thompson wrote:i might start shaping, just so i can release that model!

There's could be a whole series. The raging roid etc

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu May 11, 2017 9:23 am

The Engorged Organ.