Olympics

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Gumby
regular

Olympics

Post by Gumby » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 am

Surfing in the next Olympics.
Good/bad/don't care?

Assuming all the pros would be eligible (as per other pro sports), unless there is a WSL contract clause that says otherwise. Although given the WSL site is "celebrating" this move, can't see them blocking the pros from entering.
Crap conditions wouldn't be a good look.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Olympics

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:37 am

olympic surfing in wave pools being scrutinised by a world judging panel?

the death of style as we know it.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:23 pm

That's the risk for sure.
While I'll still watch it as a fan of the sport and out of curiosity as to how it goes in the Olympic spotlight, I'm still a traditionalist when it comes to the Olympics. ie. I believe it should purely be about the core endurance events such as running, swimming, track & field, weightlifting, rowing etc.
And it should be amateur athletes (although every sport seems to be professional now). Seeing Roger Federer or NBA stars involved just doesn't look right. If an Olympic gold medal is not the pinnacle of that sport, then it probably doesn't fit the Olympic mould. I doubt a pro tennis player would rather win a gold medal over Wimbledon. Likewise, what surfer would consider winning gold better than a world title or even a stand-alone Pipe Masters win?

my 2 cents

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:01 pm

I used to love the Olympics and everything it stood for.

now i can't get past the obscene amount of money these things cost to pander to all kinds of divas

... meanwhile people in the world are starving and being denied clean water and basic medicines.

The cost of one Olympics could feed every single hungry person in the world for a whole year.
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Ban the olympics!!!!!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Or just not spend 2 billion for every one of them
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Braithy wrote:Or just not spend 2 billion for every one of them
It really is a Cnut of an act, particularly for poor countries. Imagine being an athlete in a bus on your way to your event and seeing people who don't have sewerage of running water sitting in the street. Id feel like a bit guilty to be honest

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Braithy wrote:Or just not spend 2 billion for every one of them
It really is a Cnut of an act, particularly for poor countries. Imagine being an athlete in a bus on your way to your event and seeing people who don't have sewerage of running water sitting in the street. Id feel like a bit guilty to be honest
Yep. and even more so, imagine being one of those over-pampered corrupt IOC stooges who get ferried around the bidding cities to simply look at a stadium and confirm "yes, that looks like a stadium to me. Now give me my $500K appearance fee + bribe for my vote".
Yet they couldn't give a toss about the downside of any given city.

How they picked Rio of all places is beyond me (apart from the obvious bribing involved).
They should just rotate it around a handful of cities that have already hosted it and have the facilities in place. 1st world countries, healthy economies, no need for more stadiums to be built, and no police forces that actually want to rob/shoot you.

...haven't even got into the roids side of it either!

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Yeah totally. Me too.

They need to reduce the events, not introduce more. imo
Kunji wrote:

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:59 pm

It's interesting that WSL is 'celebrating' this inclusion to the Olympics yet golf (the majors), tennis (grand slams), basketball (NBA) all seem to have other levels of world recognition.

But I suppose this is what Kelly's wave pool is for - now do countries/regions need to build more wave pools for their surfers to qualify for the Olympics ? I assume qualification for the Olympics is open to a lot of new countries if they have a surfer meet the Olympic standards (which may not be linked to the WSL tour at all).

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:20 pm

RN this week had an interview with a U.S. sports economics professor who has written.
'Circus Maximus: The Economic Gamble behind hosting the Olympics and the World Cup.'

He said Brazil has spent about 20 billion and will get about 4 billion back.
Still the worst was the last Winter Olympics at Sochi. Putin's ill-chosen vanity project where they spent 50 to 70 billion. A bad Olympics and a massive legacy of white elephants.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Russia can afford it though

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Brazil don't like no stinking maths to get in the way of a good old time in rio!
Kunji wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:14 pm

foamy wrote:RN this week had an interview with a U.S. sports economics professor who has written.
'Circus Maximus: The Economic Gamble behind hosting the Olympics and the World Cup.'

He said Brazil has spent about 20 billion and will get about 4 billion back.
Still the worst was the last Winter Olympics at Sochi. Putin's ill-chosen vanity project where they spent 50 to 70 billion. A bad Olympics and a massive legacy of white elephants.
Of that 4billion, how much do you think will go to helping the poor people? I'm guessing less than 2% if that. Most will go into corporate pockets

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Over55yrs wrote: I assume qualification for the Olympics is open to a lot of new countries if they have a surfer meet the Olympic standards (which may not be linked to the WSL tour at all).
I think they should allow the token gumby (not me) into the field like they have before.
Remember "Eric the Eel" from the Sydney games? Took about an hour to swim one lap.
Don't get me wrong, I have complete respect for his efforts, given he'd probably never even seen a swimming pool in his life before touching down in Sydney.
Get some L plater on a foamy. or better yet, get some hipster with an unzipped wettie top (standard issue Olympic uniform of course), man bun and no leggy.